Sponsored

Pilot Sport 4S to Pilot Sport AS

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Yea, I can't imagine having store away for the winter...I would definitely lose my sanity.....lol
It’s not even December and I’m pacing around the garage talking to myself

CCB35A50-CCB2-4131-A914-E04164CC8B51.jpeg
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I can't imagine having store away for the winter...I would definitely lose my sanity.....lol
There's other car for daily routines in shitty weather. No need to subject the love of my life that I want to keep forever to salt, water and other nasty stuff, plus saves time with washing. There are good days in winter too and it's short here, only 3-4 months.

This guy had proper winter tyres, wet/snow mode and didn't go very fast yesterday (as he says, but probably fast enough) and was lightly braking into corner... Snow is okay, salty mush is not.

261290148_10216300378095780_4110817487813190540_n.jpg

Last edited:

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
There's other car for daily routines in shitty weather. No need to subject the love of my life that I want to keep forever to salt, water and other nasty stuff, plus saves time with washing. There are good days in winter too and it's short here, only 3-4 months.

This guy had proper winter tyres, wet/snow mode and didn't go very fast yesterday (as he says, but probably fast enough) and was lightly braking into corner... Snow is okay, salty mush is not.

261290148_10216300378095780_4110817487813190540_n.jpg
I agree with the above, multiple cars are the best option.

For those who have to drive M1 in the nasty winter (I’m not exempt years ago) I actually bought “Snow” tires for rear of my 85 GT convertible plus a 50lbs of sand in the trunk and drove right by everything on the road back in the day.

Little understeer and Looked funny but worked.

Back to today, someone said it best, get the proper tire for the condition you’re in.

M1HP, Cups must be parked in the rain/winter even just cold.

S4 probably ok in rain and cold but not snow.

All season probably ok in Snow but I’ve been there and wouldn’t do it again.

As far as handling, forget it. To many compromises to manufacture an all season tire to even say it’s great at handling. 2-laps at any road course A/S tires would be melted. Again use the best tire for the application.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The pilot 4 A/S are surprisingly good on snow.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Update: I discovered today, at 43 F temp, it's easy to spin the rears from a stand-still with only about 1/2 throttle! That doesn't happen with the 4S! Nice part was that traction control kept me in a perfectly straight line and surprised those around me even more than it did me. Not a smoking burn out, but definitely longer than a "chirp". Made me recall my first experience doing that in my '69 Mach 1 when I earned a ticket for "breaking traction" from Fairfax County (VA) when I pulled out of a parking lot onto the road. Like today, that one was (mostly) an accidental and temporary loss of traction.
This is why in the past I switched tires to dedicated winter/snow tires as well as dedicated summers. I realize anyone can get by with all seasons, but I like to accelerate hard. So I prefer to have the best grip I can rather than babying the car around in the slow lane and leaving extra room for braking in front of me.

I bought a sporty car because I prefer having my car out handle the other cars on the road.

I agree with the above, multiple cars are the best option.

For those who have to drive M1 in the nasty winter (I’m not exempt years ago) I actually bought “Snow” tires for rear of my 85 GT convertible plus a 50lbs of sand in the trunk and drove right by everything on the road back in the day.

Little understeer and Looked funny but worked.

Back to today, someone said it best, get the proper tire for the condition you’re in.

M1HP, Cups must be parked in the rain/winter even just cold.

S4 probably ok in rain and cold but not snow.

All season probably ok in Snow but I’ve been there and wouldn’t do it again.

As far as handling, forget it. To many compromises to manufacture an all season tire to even say it’s great at handling. 2-laps at any road course A/S tires would be melted. Again use the best tire for the application.
Agree. If you just want the Mustang for the looks and you prefer to drive extra slowly and carefully - by all means use inferior tires to save money or for convenience. But don't kid yourself that all seasons will work as well as a dedicated tire.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
So I prefer to have the best grip I can rather than babying the car around in the slow lane and leaving extra room for braking in front of me.
So you are the jackass who tailgates me on icy roads......

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So you are the jackass who tailgates me on icy roads......
Speed up or get in the right hand lane so I can pass! :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Speed up or get in the right hand lane so I can pass!

2 lane roads and I'm going slow because the idiot who cannot drive in front of me is going 20 in a 55. I'd pass him but there is too much on coming traffic.

I grew up across the river in Wi. Baldwin, River Falls area. Used to love driving on the St Croix.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
It is funny how we all think within our own frame of reference and get bent when someone else doesn't understand by reading our mind.

Easy solution to the tire problem, move to Florida. I am keeping the 4s on 'til they are bald like the cup 2's. 4s's are fine in 10 inches of water, and fine on 115 degree asphalt with 110% humidity. It snows in Florida as often as a politician tells the truth. And so far after 8 months, not one other Mach 1 spotted.

And yes, I am suggesting you ALL have chosen poorly if you live anywhere near snow. It is RIDICULOUS to think you can drive only 6-7 months out of the year. Thank god for ICE's and global warming. Even Tom Brady left god forsaken Massachusetts. And for those that don't understand sarcasm, I don't care.
Hay, now. Some like having more toys, fast car for the warm months and a 4x4 for the rest.
Not fer nothing, but 9 out of 10 doctors agree, The Year round use of a/c is the root cause of the Floriduh man phenomenon :wink:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
2 lane roads and I'm going slow because the idiot who cannot drive in front of me is going 20 in a 55. I'd pass him but there is too much on coming traffic.

I grew up across the river in Wi. Baldwin, River Falls area. Used to love driving on the St Croix.
Those type tend to find the Gas pedal when you goto pass them.

Sponsored

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I ran the Michelin A/S 3 tires on a local 2.5 mile road course for two 20 min sessions without melting the tires. I wasn’t running flat out though, just enjoying myself on the track. If someone was concerned with times, they would be running a better tire anyways.

Any quality all season should work well on the Mustang for light snow, good driver skills, and maybe a bit more weight in the rear.

If I had to drive the Mustang in crappier weather in the winter, I would consider a dedicated winter like the Blizzaks. I put a set of these on my sons vehicle where they dramatically improved the winter experience for him.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Don't worry, I'll leave room between us if it's a no-passing area. Even if you or someone in front of you is driving below the speed limit due to crappy tires or fear of low traction situations.

Kidding aside, it drives me nuts when Camrys and pickups can out accelerate me, whether it's wet, cold, snowy or icy. I want to be able to keep up at a minimum and prefer to be able to walk them from a stop light.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
I ordered my '21 GT with the 20" wheels, which Ford shod with Goodyear Eagle F1 all season tires. They are amazingly good. Not quite as crisp as the best summer tires but a heck of a lot better than the base 18-inch tires on my '15 GT. I guess I am odd man out. I like the velvet glove feeling of really good AS tires. Summer tires can be very harsh and noisy, as well as wearing out in 10,000 to 15,000 miles. I like the AS compromises better.

TonyHawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, Roush Stage 2 SC kit, Roush axel back / x-pipe, chin splitter, aero foil and side scoops, GT350R wheels
Thanks all for your replies. I think I'll sit out this winter, get one more summer on the 4S's then switch over to the all seasons. Worse case if I’m not happy I can always switch back.
I have two sets of wheels (GT350 style 19 inch) and just switch between seasons. AS3 all seasons and sports. I run the sports in the summer mostly because I can get them in a wider size (305s vs 275s). Not sure I really feel much difference performance wise. There is a difference in cold weather. The Sports are not cold weather tires.

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
Michelin AS3+ and AS4 offer very little compromise in my experience.

I do fast Mtn runs. I have a boosted 17 GT. I ran the AS3+ In a 255 square setup for about 10,000 miles and I was very impressed.

I now have a 285 square setup with the AS3+ and again very impressed. I push the car very hard. The car is not a DD but I do drive it year round so that is why I went with the A/S.
Sponsored