Sponsored

Pilot Sport 4S to Pilot Sport AS

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
My first winter I left the Corsa 4s on my HPP and never drove it when it got below 45. Then I started resenting the fact I‘ve waited since ‘79 to get a Mustang only to park it for five months out of the year.

This fall I put on Continental DWS 06 Plus 275/40/19 and yes there’s a difference between these tires and the Corsa 4s, but as Atlas1 said, the Continentals didn’t turn my Mustang into an Odyssey. I got them in 275 instead of 265 of the Pirellis, with the idea a slightly wider tire might help with handling.

I’ve driven the Continentals in below freezing and moderate rain and have been pleased. No snow yet.
Sponsored

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
Also take look at Pirelli PZero A/S+. Incredible handling in the cold on a heavy (4400 lb) Lincoln MKZ. Definitely NOT a good tire in the snow. Cold... yes, Cold and wet... yes, more than an inch of snow... NO. With the average Mach 1 weighing ~500 lbs less, the PZero A/S+ should be good for a DD in the cold.

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My 19 is a pp1 so I got ps4s stock 255f 275r and they never broke loose unless I forced them to. First winter I switched to same size as3+. On certain surfaces, cold tire, they would break loose at about 5-6k rolling in to wot 1st gear and spin for a little on an aggressive 1-2 shift.

Here’s a video my buddy shot leaving work one night and you can hear what I’m describing, tc kicks in for a sec at 5-6k 1st then some spinning in 2nd.

Other surfaces I can be cruising at 4K rpm in 1st then snap the throttle open and they stick like glue. Drag strip, street pressure was hit or miss on the launch, chirping 1-2 and 2-3 shift. That 1st winter I had them I took the car up pikes peak highway late December the day after it reopened due to needing plowed. I was 1100 miles from home and not missing that opportunity lol. These tires are very impressive in the snow considering what they’re on. I run 30-32psi summer and as they drop to 27-28 when it’s cold I don’t add air.

Over all my opinion is they are a great tire but are not on the same level as the ps4s.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The summer tires are a danger to everyone when it is cold.
I never thought I'd see the day when a tire could be worse than the 80's eagle GT's when in the wet and/or cold.
I'll take a compromise tire on the street over loss of control from a tire that is an ice skate on anything but warm dry roads.

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Let’s keep some perspective in this conversation fellas. You’re correct in that a/s tires are not ideal for a specific set of weather conditions. BUT they are not going to turn your mustang into a minivan. I’ve got michelin as3+ on my Audi and I can assure you I’m breaking a laundry list of moving violations on the street before the tires are not keeping up on dry roads. And for heavy rain and slush on cold roads they do just fine, provided you are not driving like you don’t mind wrapping the car around a tree.
these discussions always end up painting a picture that everyone must have sport cups in the summer and studded snow tires in the winter or no matter the time of year you are sliding all over the road. It’s just not the case. A good all season like the michelin offers a relatively high level of performance for a Mach 1 on the street. It may not impress the cars and coffee crowd like a dedicated race tire but it’s not like you’re going to have to stay in the slow lane on the freeway in July because the tire breaks traction too easy when accelerating.
all seasons are fine @stageron go with Michelins and you’ll be ok. I bet you’ll still be able to generate smiles on a twisty road.
Is the Audi AWD?

A mini-van? Really? Where did I say that? I said they were a compromise to which you agreed. I never painted anything; you did.
I suggested season specific tires which the OP said he had done previously but it was a PITA. I suggested a good impact to help with the swap. I never mentioned ego driven C&C devotees casting scorn upon your presence. I never suggested race tires either only season specific.

You went to great lengths to suggest things I never did.

Sponsored

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
For me it's simple. On the track I run the best tire I can, usually Hoosiers.. On the street I run the best A/S I can. Currently running the Eagle F1 A/S.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Is the Audi AWD?

A mini-van? Really? Where did I say that? I said they were a compromise to which you agreed. I never painted anything; you did.
I suggested season specific tires which the OP said he had done previously but it was a PITA. I suggested a good impact to help with the swap. I never mentioned ego driven C&C devotees casting scorn upon your presence. I never suggested race tires either only season specific.

You went to great lengths to suggest things I never did.
Of course the Audi is awd. the previous set of tires on it were pirelli equivalents to ps4’s so I was able to experience summer and a/s tires back to back.

you took what I wrote way to personal. I did not accuse YOU of any of that. I merely quoted your post and used it as a starting point for my thoughts. I agree with you that having dedicated tires for each season is ideal. But not everyone can do that hence the purpose of a/s tires. My overall point was that I’ve seen these tire discussions on here before and I wanted to make sure @stageron wasn’t led down the wrong path for his situation. My experience is that these threads attract “experts” that will come in and spew truck loads of bullshit and I was attempting to get ahead of it :)

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Of course the Audi is awd. the previous set of tires on it were pirelli equivalents to ps4’s so I was able to experience summer and a/s tires back to back.

you took what I wrote way to personal. I did not accuse YOU of any of that. I merely quoted your post and used it as a starting point for my thoughts. I agree with you that having dedicated tires for each season is ideal. But not everyone can do that hence the purpose of a/s tires. My overall point was that I’ve seen these tire discussions on here before and I wanted to make sure @stageron wasn’t led down the wrong path for his situation. My experience is that these threads attract “experts” that will come in and spew truck loads of bullshit and I was attempting to get ahead of it :)
Of course you compare an AWD car with a RWD car as if the circumstances are akin. He previously stated he did the "whole tire swap every winter" so he is not lacking in his knowledge of the differences in tires. The difference in platforms is the deception here.

Not too personal. I don't even know you. However, I will also not let you, or anyone else, try to put words in my mouth that I did not speak. You quoted me and ran on and on as if you have seen me spewing forth on this subject in that direction. Never once did you make a distinction. When in fact it was you regurgitating the "same ol' same ol"' you claim to be trying to prevent. I never brought forth those scenarios you did.

You painted with a broad brush, sir.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Of course you compare an AWD car with a RWD car as if the circumstances are akin. He previously stated he did the "whole tire swap every winter" so he is not lacking in his knowledge of the differences in tires. The difference in platforms is the deception here.

Not too personal. I don't even know you. However, I will also not let you, or anyone else, try to put words in my mouth that I did not speak. You quoted me and ran on and on as if you have seen me spewing forth on this subject in that direction. Never once did you make a distinction. When in fact it was you regurgitating the "same ol' same ol"' you claim to be trying to prevent. I never brought forth those scenarios you did.

You painted with a broad brush, sir.
Go have a serving of midol and pumpkin pie. I did not compare awd to rwd. I discussed my switch from summer tires to all seasons on 1 specific car. Would you rather I tell you about my experience with a tire on one car and a different tire on a totally unrelated car? Any other variables you’d like to add to that experiment to muddy the waters?

next time I quote one of your posts I’ll try to be more clear about the specific part I’m addressing so as not to risk offending your fragile internet ego 🙄

Sponsored

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Go have a serving of midol and pumpkin pie. I did not compare awd to rwd. I discussed my switch from summer tires to all seasons on 1 specific car. Would you rather I tell you about my experience with a tire on one car and a different tire on a totally unrelated car? Any other variables you’d like to add to that experiment to muddy the waters?

next time I quote one of your posts I’ll try to be more clear about the specific part I’m addressing so as not to risk offending your fragile internet ego 🙄
A Midol...haha A derogation towards me personally. Now that not only tells me you were/are attempting to make things personal but you have that "fragile" ego that needs soothing. Don't be a misogynist.

Have a good one, bro.....hug it out?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I like them.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (255/40ZR19) mounted on 19"x9" wheels from a 2018 GT. These are the same brand/model tires and wheels that I had on my 2015 when I took it out for my second HPDE weekend at Summit Point two years ago and I have no complaints. I've since done two two-day sessions at Ford Performance Racing School and can drive even more assertively, but the point is I'm very comfortable with these tires on the car for winter weather and for spirited driving on the warmer days here in the mid-Atlantic, and for trips to coastal Massachusetts this winter.
Update: I discovered today, at 43 F temp, it's easy to spin the rears from a stand-still with only about 1/2 throttle! That doesn't happen with the 4S! Nice part was that traction control kept me in a perfectly straight line and surprised those around me even more than it did me. Not a smoking burn out, but definitely longer than a "chirp". Made me recall my first experience doing that in my '69 Mach 1 when I earned a ticket for "breaking traction" from Fairfax County (VA) when I pulled out of a parking lot onto the road. Like today, that one was (mostly) an accidental and temporary loss of traction.

SemperFi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 m0303
It is funny how we all think within our own frame of reference and get bent when someone else doesn't understand by reading our mind.

Easy solution to the tire problem, move to Florida. I am keeping the 4s on 'til they are bald like the cup 2's. 4s's are fine in 10 inches of water, and fine on 115 degree asphalt with 110% humidity. It snows in Florida as often as a politician tells the truth. And so far after 8 months, not one other Mach 1 spotted.

And yes, I am suggesting you ALL have chosen poorly if you live anywhere near snow. It is RIDICULOUS to think you can drive only 6-7 months out of the year. Thank god for ICE's and global warming. Even Tom Brady left god forsaken Massachusetts. And for those that don't understand sarcasm, I don't care.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
It is funny how we all think within our own frame of reference and get bent when someone else doesn't understand by reading our mind.

Easy solution to the tire problem, move to Florida. I am keeping the 4s on 'til they are bald like the cup 2's. 4s's are fine in 10 inches of water, and fine on 115 degree asphalt with 110% humidity. It snows in Florida as often as a politician tells the truth. And so far after 8 months, not one other Mach 1 spotted.

And yes, I am suggesting you ALL have chosen poorly if you live anywhere near snow. It is RIDICULOUS to think you can drive only 6-7 months out of the year. Thank god for ICE's and global warming. Even Tom Brady left god forsaken Massachusetts. And for those that don't understand sarcasm, I don't care.
Yea, I can't imagine having store away for the winter...I would definitely lose my sanity.....lol
Sponsored