Pilot Sport 4S to Pilot Sport AS

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
Curious to find out from Mach 1 owners if anybody switched their Non HP car to Pilot Sport All Seasons or some other high performance all season tire. If so how much of a difference in handling is there. I use my Mach strictly on the streets and will never track it. I do like to take it out for some very spirited driving on some twisty and windy roads now and again and was wondering how big a drop off in handling there would be. I live in the East so we get cold and snow. I would never take it out in the snow but definitely would like to use it in cold dry weather. Thoughts?
Sponsored

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Curious to find out from Mach 1 owners if anybody switched their Non HP car to Pilot Sport All Seasons or some other high performance all season tire. If so how much of a difference in handling is there. I use my Mach strictly on the streets and will never track it. I do like to take it out for some very spirited driving on some twisty and windy roads now and again and was wondering how big a drop off in handling there would be. I live in the East so we get cold and snow. I would never take it out in the snow but definitely would like to use it in cold dry weather. Thoughts?
I'm looking at those tires also. I hope we get some incite on your question! To add a note and a few questions on this:

Tire Rack is selling this:
Michelin
Pilot Sport All Season 4
Front: 255/40ZR19 100Y XL
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
$260.99

Rear:275/40ZR19 105Y XL
$303.99

I assume those are the tires you are referring. Wondering about where and at what price you're seeing them?

Second question: What wheels? I like the Velgen Wheels (VF5 or SL7). Any thoughts and wheels and the Velgens?

And, what will be the process? Have the tires/wheels mailed to your dealer and have him mount them?

What about tire bags for the current "old" wheels to take them back home after the swap?

Thanks.

OP
OP
stageron

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking at those tires also. I hope we get some incite on your question! To add a note and a few questions on this:

Tire Rack is selling this:
Michelin
Pilot Sport All Season 4
Front: 255/40ZR19 100Y XL
$260.99

Rear:275/40ZR19 105Y XL
$303.99

I assume those are the tires you are referring. Wondering about where and at what price you're seeing them?

Second question: What wheels? I like the Velgen Wheels (VF5 or SL7). Any thoughts and wheels and the Velgens?

And, what will be the process? Have the tires/wheels mailed to your dealer and have him mount them?

What about tire bags for the current "old" wheels to take them back home after the swap?

Thanks.
I also checked the price at Tire Rack but haven't done any serious shopping around yet. I will probably stick with the 4S's and not drive it this winter in below 45degree weather. Depending on how much handling drop off there is if I decide to make the move it would be year round so I would use my stock rims. I already did the whole tire swap every winter in my last Mustang and it was to much of a pain in the ass.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I also checked the price at Tire Rack but haven't done any serious shopping around yet. I will probably stick with the 4S's and not drive it this winter in below 45degree weather. Depending on how much handling drop off there is if I decide to make the move it would be year round so I would use my stock rims. I already did the whole tire swap every winter in my last Mustang and it was to much of a pain in the ass.
I live in Australia, it doesn’t snow here but early in the morning the roads can get slippery/icey in the middle of winter.
I have the PS4S and one morning on the way to work I spun the car out, without trying to do anything silly besides accidentally having the shifter in S instead of D. I just left my house so the tires were cold and conditions were around 2 degrees celcuis, so roads were slippery and I did have a big night so I guess that played a part too lol.
All I’m saying is that I live the tires for summer but in winter /wet conditions , drive with care.

balzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Balaji
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1
I swapped to the Pilot Sport All season a week ago. So far its holding up ok . Gonna see how it will handle in the winter

Sponsored

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All season and high performance when used together is an oxymoron. ALL all-season tires are a compromise in both summer traction and foul weather functionality. So be prepared to give up something when using Hi-po all seasons. A BULLITT buddy just switched to the PilotSport A/S and commented on how "squishy" they feel.

Best choice is season specific tires. Get yourself a good 1/2" cordless impact gun and spend less than an hour swapping wheels twice a year. Second best is park it and use the daily during the winter. Third is drive like Miss Daisy is in the car when it's cold.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
All season and high performance when used together is an oxymoron. ALL all-season tires are a compromise in both summer traction and foul weather functionality. So be prepared to give up something when using Hi-po all seasons. A BULLITT buddy just switched to the PilotSport A/S and commented on how "squishy" they feel.

Best choice is season specific tires. Get yourself a good 1/2" cordless impact gun and spend less than an hour swapping wheels twice a year. Second best is park it and use the daily during the winter. Third is drive like Miss Daisy is in the car when it's cold.
Let’s keep some perspective in this conversation fellas. You’re correct in that a/s tires are not ideal for a specific set of weather conditions. BUT they are not going to turn your mustang into a minivan. I’ve got michelin as3+ on my Audi and I can assure you I’m breaking a laundry list of moving violations on the street before the tires are not keeping up on dry roads. And for heavy rain and slush on cold roads they do just fine, provided you are not driving like you don’t mind wrapping the car around a tree.
these discussions always end up painting a picture that everyone must have sport cups in the summer and studded snow tires in the winter or no matter the time of year you are sliding all over the road. It’s just not the case. A good all season like the michelin offers a relatively high level of performance for a Mach 1 on the street. It may not impress the cars and coffee crowd like a dedicated race tire but it’s not like you’re going to have to stay in the slow lane on the freeway in July because the tire breaks traction too easy when accelerating.
all seasons are fine @stageron go with Michelins and you’ll be ok. I bet you’ll still be able to generate smiles on a twisty road.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I bet you’ll still be able to generate smiles on a twisty road.
This, even the stock 235 50 18's will get you tossed in jail before you out drive them on the street.

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This review includes a reference summer and winter tire and compares it to several all-season tires. It helps quantify the differences:
2021 Tyre Reviews All Season Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews and Tests

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (255/40ZR19) mounted on 19"x9" wheels from a 2018 GT. These are the same brand/model tires and wheels that I had on my 2015 when I took it out for my second HPDE weekend at Summit Point two years ago and I have no complaints. I've since done two two-day sessions at Ford Performance Racing School and can drive even more assertively, but the point is I'm very comfortable with these tires on the car for winter weather and for spirited driving on the warmer days here in the mid-Atlantic, and for trips to coastal Massachusetts this winter.

OP
OP
stageron

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for your replies. I think I'll sit out this winter, get one more summer on the 4S's then switch over to the all seasons. Worse case if I’m not happy I can always switch back.

OP
OP
stageron

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (255/40ZR19) mounted on 19"x9" wheels from a 2018 GT. These are the same brand/model tires and wheels that I had on my 2015 when I took it out for my second HPDE weekend at Summit Point two years ago and I have no complaints. I've since done two two-day sessions at Ford Performance Racing School and can drive even more assertively, but the point is I'm very comfortable with these tires on the car for winter weather and for spirited driving on the warmer days here in the mid-Atlantic, and for trips to coastal Massachusetts this winter.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I have a feeling that the all seasons are gonna work out fine.
Looks like we have the exact same Mach 1's. Iconic Silver non HP premium.

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, now that we have some tire options listed, what about the wheels? Not the I have money to burn, but I do like some of the Velgen wheels. Does anyone know what the non HP Mach1 Stock BackSpace and Stock offsets are? I have the upgraded wheels and Brembos and am looking for wheels (could swap the wheels now and save some bucks but...).
Sponsored