Sponsored

pictures with your rear seat out

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
My thoughts are turning again to the problem of mounting a rear camera for a dash cam. If anyone has photos of the rear seat back out of their car, I would appreciate seeing them, just to give me a starting point for my thoughts. Bonus points for ones with the top down. Conversely, if anyone has developed some kind of mount that puts the camera in the vicinity of the top of the seat back, I'm happy to see those as well.
Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
KrHT5Bj.jpg

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Mount the camera to a 1/2 in square piece of Aluminum which can easily mount with U-bolts to the head rest. Now the only this is if you do it to the passenger seat like I did with nobody sitting in it, you get too much shaking. (maybe not too bad, as that's 143mph into turn 1)

I'll post a photo of the mount in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnnybee

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Perfect, and thanks. So it looks like a T shaped piece with a couple of bolts to that cross member, and curved to hug the seat back cushion should get me where I want with a rear camera. I realize that the view will be restricted top up but I can live with that.

OP
OP
Johnnybee

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Mount the camera to a 1/2 in square piece of Aluminum which can easily mount with U-bolts to the head rest. Now the only this is if you do it to the passenger seat like I did with nobody sitting in it, you get too much shaking. (maybe not too bad, as that's 143mph into turn 1)

I'll post a photo of the mount in the morning.

Thanks for the idea but it’s a rear facing camera I’m trying to figure out. The front will mount on the windshield as typical.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Just get one of those cameras you mount outside the car by the license plate. Top up, down...no matter.

OP
OP
Johnnybee

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Just get one of those cameras you mount outside the car by the license plate. Top up, down...no matter.
Yes, I have seen those and am trying to avoid drilling the car, plus the issue of someone ripping it out.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I have seen those and am trying to avoid drilling the car, plus the issue of someone ripping it out.
I would not worry too much about either of those things.

It's an S197, but the ideas are the same. Once installed, no one will notice and the tiny hole in the plastic is nothing.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I'd run the rear camera feed wire, that connects to the front dash camera unit, Across the upper windshield trim(under it), then along the headliner trim, to the rear window, then mount it to the glass. This is a shorter run than what I assume you are planning of, out dash cam, across whindshield trim, down A pillar, down kick panel, across door sill, up b pillar or under the seat.
Like your eyes the higher the camera is, the more it will see, So mounting it at the rear glass top will be better than down low.
I like to make it as hard to see the unit from pry'n eyes.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd run the rear camera feed wire, that connects to the front dash camera unit, Across the upper windshield trim(under it), then along the headliner trim, to the rear window, then mount it to the glass. This is a shorter run than what I assume you are planning of, out dash cam, across whindshield trim, down A pillar, down kick panel, across door sill, up b pillar or under the seat.
Like your eyes the higher the camera is, the more it will see, So mounting it at the rear glass top will be better than down low.
I like to make it as hard to see the unit from pry'n eyes.
What would you do if it is a convertible?

One tip for running wires, use a fish tape.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
What would you do if it is a convertible?

One tip for running wires, use a fish tape.
I'd not be mounting the rear camera on the rear glass. it be on the rear panel or bracket above the plate. the lens being outside the car you just have to remember to clean it.
If I can find a duck tail spoiler I like, I'll mount it in it.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Perfect, and thanks. So it looks like a T shaped piece with a couple of bolts to that cross member, and curved to hug the seat back cushion should get me where I want with a rear camera. I realize that the view will be restricted top up but I can live with that.
Here's old school mount, $5.00, and I just mounted my GoPro to it. All the tape is so nothing scratches the Headrest.

If you want a rear view just turn the Camera around.

IMG_2080.jpg

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
Why not just use a Wifi/Bluetooth camera attached to the number plate and powered from the rear light cluster?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not just use a Wifi/Bluetooth camera attached to the number plate and powered from the rear light cluster?
Bacause it is a PITA to connect to all that when starting the car. Recording is an issue too. Oh, and parking monitor would not work either.
Sponsored