Sponsored

Physical key inside key fob does not fit hole in door handle

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hello guys,

i recently bought a 2016 EB Premium + Performance and was given 2 key fobs. They both work in terms of remote start and keyless entry but the physical keys inside them does not fit the hole in the door handle. I tried sticking it in but doesn't go in. they work on the glove compartment though. Am I doing something wrong or should i let the dealer (CarMax) know?

Thanks!
Sponsored

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Hello guys,

i recently bought a 2016 EB Premium + Performance and was given 2 key fobs. They both work in terms of remote start and keyless entry but the physical keys inside them does not fit the hole in the door handle. I tried sticking it in but doesn't go in. they work on the glove compartment though. Am I doing something wrong or should i let the dealer (CarMax) know?

Thanks!
Are you talking about the slot under the drivers door handle or the keyhole behind the cover on the drivers door handle?
You insert the key in the slot to pop off the painted cover in order to access the silver lock behind it.
door lock.jpg

thanks Google for the image...lol

OP
OP

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So under my driver door handle, it looks like you can insert the key a tiny bit but it hits the black piece in it. I dont know if i can pop that piece off since it's deeper in the hole - doesnt sit flush with the handle. Is that something i need to take off before? I'm at work right now so i can't test it out or take a pic. I'll do it later!

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
You only insert it underneath in order to pop off the cap. Once the cap is off, you will see an actual lock as shown in the photo above.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Costcocombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ohhhhhh haha omg I feel so stupid. I was sticking the key upwards in that hole on the bottom of the handle. That picture totally explains it. It didn't load for me before. Thanks guys!!!

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
This is good to know!

CVCashmere

Jiki05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Lol, I actually had to do this last weekend when I changed my car battery and I locked the car before taking the battery out. Had to Google it.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
To be fair Ford is not good about explaining this and they should be better. I just showed my pops this about his key fob "key" and door lock. He just bought a 70K truck, and his Ford dealer didn't slow him this. WTF?

I showed the car salesman i bought my car from about this function when i bought my 2017 mustang. That's bad.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I went through this very same thing couple of years ago. ..battery went dead after Gt sit for a few weeks. ..and done the same thing as original poster..tried to open thru the slot lol...anyways i gave up and popped hood thru grille(super easy by the way)..charged battery and opened door..but later I did discover how dumb I was by not googling it..

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Always a good idea to download the owner's manual in PDF from Ford's website onto your smart phone. Comes in handy in cases like this, especially if you have no reception to get on the internet.

GeosGTVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Where is the key slot inside the car once you open the door? I have a 2016 thanks

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
when you remove the rubber at the bottom of the drinks holder, you should see a hole to put the key fob in it that will then enable you to push start even though the batterie is dead. you have to put the keyfob (plastic case). not the metal key.
Sponsored