RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that there aren't any photography threads on this forum and yet I've seen some great auto shoots on other sub-sections. Anyone here interested in sharing some photos?

What's your go-to gear? Tell us what bodies and lenses you own and what you'd like to purchase. What got you into photography?

I'll start: I've dabbled for the past 6-7 years and started with the Nikon camp in my early days. Had a D40 with the kit, a 35mm prime, and a zoom that I can't remember much about (maybe 55-135). Never took classes and taught myself as I grew into the hobby, which I'm happy with how I've progressed. Dropped out of it a few years ago due to new-car-shopping-obsession-syndrome.

Fast forward to present day: I just recently got back into the swing of things with the purchase of a Sony A6300 ILC (body only) and picked up a 35mm/1.8 to start. On the hunt for a wide-angle prime and thinking about Rokinon's 12mm/2.0. I think ILCs are on their way of making DSLRs a thing of the past for the hobbyist market.

That being said, here's some old stuff I recently dug up from my D40 + 35mm days. That body is simply obsolete by modern standards but it served me well with that lens.

http://imgur.com/a/fUPbF

Can't wait to post some pics with my latest gear. It's like jumping from an SN-95 to an S550; more complexities, more features, better packaging, and better capabilities. Too bad it comes with a terribly unfriendly UI. Loving it as much as my car at this point though.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So...I have no idea how to "un-private" these imgur links.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
My mom went to Brooks in Santa Barbara and ran a very successful photography business for over 30 years. She was a PPA master and fellow. She got into judging for a time while globe trotting and giving lectures to include sponsorship by Kodak to goto Japan for a paid lecture back around 1994.

Then came digital.

My mom, the woman who could not double click a mouse button without moving icons all over the desk top, got out of the business. It was time. She came through and made a killing during what seemed like a golden age. Digital brought all the "hey I can be a photographer types" that take a million photos while trying to stumble on the correct composition and exposure. This was a big factor to her dropping out of the wedding photography business. During the golden age she booked a year in advance and she would do 3-5 weddings a weekend, small coverage formals in studio on a friday and then 2 full 8 hour gigs on a saturday and sometimes sunday.

She took about a 10 year break from it then sold all her Zeiss and Hassleblad stuffs to some goofy collector type. She then went out and got a nice Canon body and some lenses. 2-3 years later and the thing jams up it's shutter something fierce while on a vacation 3-4 weeks ago. She may not be a computer whiz but her years of training and experience makes for killer shots to begin with digital or not.

Funny thing is her phone with 16 meg camera is now her favorite means of taking pictures. Are they as good as her nicest camera and lenses? Nope but she is having fun with it again

What is more is I showed her snapseed, thanks to a member here turning me on to it, and now she can tweek images easily with simple sliders as opposed to the mental gymnastics needed to go through the turd in a blender(regarding not being a tech geek) that is Gimp or Photoshop.

I was in the family business for almost 12 years. What I saw, the horrors(bitchy brides and psycho moms for graduation pictures), made me never want to deal with people in the industry. I do occassionally like to take pics but borrowing my dad's 10 year old Nikon with crap lense and having to play with RAW type files makes me join my mom. I find my cell phone camera and Snapseed to be good enough for 90% of what I could ever want to do and the prints for my garage are good enough for a 12x18 or slightly larger.

Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
So...I have no idea how to "un-private" these imgur links.

Imgur has some kinda setting they can turn on/off to allow imbedding photos on forums. One of my gun forums went through this shit about 4 months back. It took a lot of complaining by members to get imgur to switch the setting back to allow for imbedding photos there.

Same would need to likely be done here. Not sure how to complain or what dept to contact.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
imgur doesn't like 6g and put it on it's naughty list....so you gotta use something else now.

it sucks. all my pics are gone off the forums too

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a Nikon D3300. Came in a bundle with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. 24.2mp ect ect... Seems to take pretty damn nice pics LOL. I am a noob with photography.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Just bought a Nikon D3300. Came in a bundle with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. 24.2mp ect ect... Seems to take pretty damn nice pics LOL. I am a noob with photography.
I was looking at that camera. There was a great deal going for the bag, 2 lenses, and all kinds of stuff for $499. I decided a few day ago to purchase it and I was too late. Now that same camera and goodies are $669. :frusty:

That's what I get for hesitating.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Started playing with cameras when I was in high school back around '79-'80. Dropped out of it for 15 years and picked it back up just before digital started exploding with a new Minolta film camera and then some Mamiya medium format stuff. Also got with a great wedding photog and learned the trade and gained some skills. After a half dozen weddings said "F that!" And sold off the medium format gear I got from him. Again, lost interest and sold it all off.
Years later jumped back in but with Canon gear. Started with an XSi and bought my first L lens. Guy I bought it from convinced me to go full frame. So I picked up a 5D Classic and a 7D for my kids sports. Picked up 70-200 2.8L, fisheye and a couple other L lenses. It's been so DAMNED long since I opened my camera bag, I have already forgot which ones I have. Now that's embarrassing!
I dragged that heavy ass gear all over Vegas, Valley of Fire, Zion, Red Rock, Yosemite, etc...oh, and airport terminals too.
I'm at the point of considering letting it all go again since I'm just tired of dragging that heavy shit everywhere and my iPhone 6s takes great pics. I even bought flash slaves and a couple of manual flashes I've never used.
I could sell it all and almost by a blower for my Mustang or a bitchin' set of wheels.

Sponsored

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I've always liked taking pics but have never considered myself good enough to even be called a hobbyist. My father and grandfather on the hand were both good "hobbyists", and my father even won a couple of local awards for some pictures he had taken. But that was all back in the 35mm days.
I have slowly progressed my way up from a simple point and shoot to a more complex point and shoot, to now a Nikon D5500. I have 3 lenses; the two that came in the kit, and a 50mm/1.8 prime. I really want to buy a Sigma 18-300 lens for a carry lens, but I am stingy with my money and cant convince myself to buy it yet.
Needless to say, this camera has way more ability than I do, and I am one of those that gets lucky and every now and then accidentally gets a nice shot.

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Started playing with cameras when I was in high school back around '79-'80. Dropped out of it for 15 years and picked it back up just before digital started exploding with a new Minolta film camera and then some Mamiya medium format stuff. Also got with a great wedding photog and learned the trade and gained some skills. After a half dozen weddings said "F that!" And sold off the medium format gear I got from him. Again, lost interest and sold it all off.
Years later jumped back in but with Canon gear. Started with an XSi and bought my first L lens. Guy I bought it from convinced me to go full frame. So I picked up a 5D Classic and a 7D for my kids sports. Picked up 70-200 2.8L, fisheye and a couple other L lenses. It's been so DAMNED long since I opened my camera bag, I have already forgot which ones I have. Now that's embarrassing!
I dragged that heavy ass gear all over Vegas, Valley of Fire, Zion, Red Rock, Yosemite, etc...oh, and airport terminals too.
I'm at the point of considering letting it all go again since I'm just tired of dragging that heavy shit everywhere and my iPhone 6s takes great pics. I even bought flash slaves and a couple of manual flashes I've never used.
I could sell it all and almost by a blower for my Mustang or a bitchin' set of wheels.
Good shit! I have a habit of going in and out with my hobbies, like musical chair obsession.

Have you given mirrorless cameras any thought? A high-end full frame mirrorless body will give you the same features as a pro-level DSLR. An A7II or A7RII would be awesome for you. The body is roughly 25% smaller and over 50% lighter.

Grab an adapter and all of your Canon EF lenses will be plug-and-play, solving a historical obstacle for people deeply invested in the CaNikon lens families.

I've always liked taking pics but have never considered myself good enough to even be called a hobbyist. My father and grandfather on the hand were both good "hobbyists", and my father even won a couple of local awards for some pictures he had taken. But that was all back in the 35mm days.
I have slowly progressed my way up from a simple point and shoot to a more complex point and shoot, to now a Nikon D5500. I have 3 lenses; the two that came in the kit, and a 50mm/1.8 prime. I really want to buy a Sigma 18-300 lens for a carry lens, but I am stingy with my money and cant convince myself to buy it yet.
Needless to say, this camera has way more ability than I do, and I am one of those that gets lucky and every now and then accidentally gets a nice shot.
For sure, most modern cameras boast more performance than anyone short of a professional will know how to use. It's very similar to the world of performance cars. All of the fun money I've been planning on investing in my car has been going into camera gear. I'll be out near $2k after my next lens purchase... could've gotten a nice set of headers, a tune, and some minor suspension work done with that money. Happy with the investment so far either way. :D

OP
OP
OppoLock

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The infinitely improved successor to my old old old D40. Probably one of the most ergonomic cameras around. Nice choice. :thumbsup:
Sponsored