Sponsored

Phone Google Maps voice via bluetooth - how do I get it to work?

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
So, I have a base 2015 GT, and the base sound system.

With my phone (Android), normally when I use a regular Bluetooth unit in my ear, the phone usage goes through, but use of Google Maps also causes the voice to come through the Bluetooth.

So, I have my car set up so that it pairs with my phone when I'm in it, thus I can use the phone via the car's sound system.

BUT - what about Google Maps? It thinks the volume is up, and it trying to speak the directions through the Bluetooth, but how do I get the car to play the sound for that? It doesn't do so automatically.

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
I don't have the base sound system, but are you selecting bluetooth audio/stereo on your radio? It needs to be in whatever setting your bluetooth audio is.

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So, I have a base 2015 GT, and the base sound system.

With my phone (Android), normally when I use a regular Bluetooth unit in my ear, the phone usage goes through, but use of Google Maps also causes the voice to come through the Bluetooth.

So, I have my car set up so that it pairs with my phone when I'm in it, thus I can use the phone via the car's sound system.

BUT - what about Google Maps? It thinks the volume is up, and it trying to speak the directions through the Bluetooth, but how do I get the car to play the sound for that? It doesn't do so automatically.

What am I doing wrong?
Hey King_V,

onosqv is correct. You have to be listening to Bluetooth Audio in order to hear the instructions from Google Maps. If you are listening to AM/FM, CD, or Sirius, they won't come through the speakers. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
No.. Not true.. It's a setting in google maps.. If it is paired with the car you in Google maps set it to play voice over Bluetooth.. Works perfect.. You can be listening to anything

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Actually I think it's "play as blue tooth phone call" to get it to play over music under settings then navigation settings for google maps. I had it turned on only for play over Bluetooth and it never would play over the music until I toggled play as phone call to on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
No.. Not true.. It's a setting in google maps.. If it is paired with the car you in Google maps set it to play voice over Bluetooth.. Works perfect.. You can be listening to anything
Actually I think it's "play as blue tooth phone call" to get it to play over music under settings then navigation settings for google maps. I had it turned on only for play over Bluetooth and it never would play over the music until I toggled play as phone call to on.
I'm on Android, and I didn't find "play as blue tooth call" or anything that sounded like it in my Navigation Settings on Maps.

I don't have the base sound system, but are you selecting bluetooth audio/stereo on your radio? It needs to be in whatever setting your bluetooth audio is.
Hey King_V,

onosqv is correct. You have to be listening to Bluetooth Audio in order to hear the instructions from Google Maps. If you are listening to AM/FM, CD, or Sirius, they won't come through the speakers. Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca
I just spent some time digging through the manual, and I'm guessing I've missed it, but I don't know what this means or how to do this.

Normally with the call, the radio can be off, and a phone call will activate the sound system.

Is this also the case with using Bluetooth Audio? Or is "listening to Bluetooth Audio" a sort of thing like switching between AM vs FM? I tried to cycle through AM/FM/etc to see if Bluetooth was one of the options, but that didn't come up.

I guess I'm misinterpreting what you mean?

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm on Android, and I didn't find "play as blue tooth call" or anything that sounded like it in my Navigation Settings on Maps.

I just spent some time digging through the manual, and I'm guessing I've missed it, but I don't know what this means or how to do this.

Normally with the call, the radio can be off, and a phone call will activate the sound system.

Is this also the case with using Bluetooth Audio? Or is "listening to Bluetooth Audio" a sort of thing like switching between AM vs FM? I tried to cycle through AM/FM/etc to see if Bluetooth was one of the options, but that didn't come up.

I guess I'm misinterpreting what you mean?
By Bluetooth Audio I mean listening to music via your phone over the car speakers. You can access it by starting the music app on your phone and giving SYNC the voice command "Bluetooth Audio." In your navigation settings for Google Maps, you should see PLAY VOICE OVER BLUETOOTH; make sure there's a check mark in that box or else the directions from the app will only come from your phone. Let me know if that helps!

Rebecca

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
image.jpg
I used google maps on iPhone.. So it may be different.. I will look on an android to see.. But here is the menu and how I have it and it works great

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Mine never worked over music until I toggled play as Bluetooth phone call.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
image.jpg
I used google maps on iPhone.. So it may be different.. I will look on an android to see.. But here is the menu and how I have it and it works great
I have my settings the same as this but I only get nav directions if I am playing music through Bluetooth. If I'm listening to sat radio then nothing is played through the car stereo.

Sponsored

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550
Does anyone know a how to get this to work for Android? I would LOVE to be able to use Maps during any source, just like the phone's BT overrides any source. Android doesn't have the play as bluetooth phone call option.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
Does anyone know a how to get this to work for Android? I would LOVE to be able to use Maps during any source, just like the phone's BT overrides any source. Android doesn't have the play as bluetooth phone call option.
I'm fairly sure that this will not work on Android. I was texting OEMRadio back and forth about getting this to work and never could get it. I've tried every combination of settings I can think of and none of them work.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Yeah.. I am sorry.. wish I had an answer.. but I don't have an android.. wish O could confirm a setting for you guys.
Sponsored