Phantom Solenoid/Actuator Sounds From a 2022 Mach 1

MartinMJM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I know that this topic has been addressed on other forums as "exhaust valve exercise", but it does not seem to be the source of noise on the 2022 Mach 1.

When I open my driver's side car door after a period of inactivity, I hear a short series of mechanical motorized cycling. I read on other forums that this was the vehicle's way of making sure that the active exhaust valve was periodically exercised to keep it from freezing up. But this is not the source of that noise on my vehicle. I had someone open the door while I examined the tailpipe with a flashlight, and saw no movement of those exhaust valves. The sound did, however, come from a location nearby.

Does anyone know what the source of this sound is and why it occurs when the door is opened?
Sponsored

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 401A, 6MT
Not AE, I have a 21 GT without AE and hear the same thing. Happens after a period of inactivity. I noticed it too when I was applying tire stickers, which I didnt even open the doors for. Maybe something priming when the car detects the key is nearby?

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
Pull the exhaust fuse, Fuse 34 under the hood, and see if it stops the noise, then you narrowed it down.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I hear

1. the same, when opening the driver's side door.

2. when I am swiping the Ford Pass App to update the info.

3. when disconnecting and later reconnecting the battery.

4. at random intervals for seemingly no reason.

I've always taken them as "normal" car noises.

There are so many electronics involved with any modern car these days.

Someone with greater insight or experience might chime in as to what they all are. I'm comfortable saying at least some of the sounds have to do with the car performing self checks and updating status to Ford as well as the Pass App.

By now, I'd be concerned if they stopped happening.

Last edited:

Magnetic Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I believe it's a combination of the electronic throttle body calibration cycle and the high pressure fuel pump priming.

Sponsored

willieT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2021 Lexus RX350, 2016 4runner
Fuel priming, my F150 did the same thing.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I attempted to record this infamous noise. Turn your bass up or down to pick it up. This sounds way different playing on my phone compared to desktop speakers. Pretty sure it is fuel priming related.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
21 Mach 1, periodic relay sounds, key not near car, doors not being opened and closed. Car has built in modem and periodically checks condition of systems and reports back to Ford. Receive monthly report on status of vehicle.
Sponsored