Petrol - Unleaded & Premium

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT Premium Fastback
When you purchase a new car, i.e. a Mustang GT PP1, and the dealer fills it up, there is no way to know if they put Unleaded or Premium petrol in, right (besides asking)?

We all know dealers try to give you, the customer, as little as possible. šŸ˜³
Sponsored

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
When you purchase a new car, i.e. a Mustang GT PP1, and the dealer fills it up, there is no way to know if they put Unleaded or Premium petrol in, right (besides asking)?

I work at a dealer, I can assure you, it is not premium gas.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Why would they put premium in? It is not the required fuel for a Mustang GT.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Exactly. GT owners manual states 87
States it can utilize 87
BUT
The Coyote is designed for max power @ 91/93 octane. The car will run harder and faster on 91/93 and it will get better MPG on the higher octane (driving style being subjective)

Sponsored

kauljp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
States it can utilize 87
BUT
The Coyote is designed for max power @ 91/93 octane. The car will run harder and faster on 91/93 and it will get better MPG on the higher octane (driving style being subjective)
Exactly, I run mine on 94 octane. The first time I ran it on 94, the difference was noticeable. The car drives smoother, the acceleration is much better amd the engine just feels nicer. Couldn't help but feel that this how the car was meant to be run.
Each to their own though.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
States it can utilize 87
BUT
Agreed but that is not the question. This is about what dealers are putting in your new car. The answer is regular because it is cheaper.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I love the word ā€œpetrolā€. :crackup:

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses.
Albeit, a few of them make me feel like I should simply be quiet, and don't converse on any forum.

Ah, the death of good conversation. Oh well.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Just adding some extra sauce to the thread.
Thank you Greg, much appreciated. We haven't had a regular vs. premium thread in what, 30 seconds or so. So what's your feeling about auto vs. manual? :cwl: :crackup: :like::clap:
Thanks for the responses.
Albeit, a few of them make me feel like I should simply be quiet, and don't converse on any forum.

Ah, the death of good conversation. Oh well.
No, absolutely not. Youā€™re here now and you cannot leave. Trust me itā€™s worth it. Sometimes we just like to have fun with one another. Itā€™s just for laughs, so stick around and keep posting. :giggle: :like: :fistbump:

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Circatee
Vehicle(s)
Oddly, this conversation was not about what is the correct petrol, or gas, as an American would say. It was more about a Dealer's action in regards to petrol.

Dealers and Car Salesmen, to me, are always trying to get one over on a customer. Thus, I merely wondered if this was another case of that, i.e. the Salesman putting in cheaper unleaded, versus putting in premium.

To me personally, if I was selling the car, I would like to think I would have put in Premium petrol for the customer. Thus, starting the car off 'right'.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Oddly, this conversation was not about what is the correct petrol, or gas, as an American would say. It was more about a Dealer's action in regards to petrol.
No intention of high jacking your thread with my post.
Most S550 Mustang owners adhere to the printed manual @ 87 octane.
The Dealer fill up, yeah that makes a person wonder what they would put into a GT350 or GT500 ?

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
At .60 to a dollar a gallon difference here in Louisiana I wouldnā€™t. At some point itā€™s a business and little things add up. If the difference came out of the salesmanā€™s pocket, thatā€™s lunch.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
States it can utilize 87
BUT
You are correct, power figures are based on 93 octane. That being said and as others have mentioned, the OP didn't ask what type of fuel to use, he asked how would he know what the dealer filled it up with. Answer is simple, they put 87 in it because the car does not require premium fuel. My old 2003 Mustang Cobra specifically stated on the dash premium fuel only, nothing like that on my dash now, so dealer is filling with 87. (Heck, if the dealer has 85, bet they would fill with that.) The gen 3 may run better on premium, but it's not required, and it won't hurt anything to run 87. I know my 2018 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost also states 87 octane, but it does say for towing, premium is recommended. Can't remember if anything in the mustang manual states that for extreme circumstances (track use, etc.) to run premium. Will have to look next time I have my manual out.

For the first 1,800 miles that I have had my 2020 GT PP2, I ran 87 in it. I was then planning on purchasing the Ford Performance calibration kit for it, so I switched to 91 octane. (Highest we have available in Nevada.) Have run 91 for about 450 miles so far, and I have noticed absolutely no difference, runs exactly the same as before and no increase in fuel milage. Granted, my car is strictly driven on the street with only the occasional bursts of pedal to the floor and driving aggressively. Haven't been able to install the kit yet because I had to buy a computer with windows to install it, hopefully installing the kit next weekend. Then I should see a difference running 91!

Doug
Sponsored