Sponsored

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
Understood. If this was a last minute decision with no time to plan, or to bring Mr. Brock in to do anything different, then of course this makes sense. And who am I to judge (which apparently I did in ignorance to the process)?

Doesn't discount the fact that the cars needed "belt and suspenders": GT350 badging and GT350 striping. Would have preferred they left the fender badging off. I don't know if the badging is bolted to the car or on with adhesive. Would remove mine if the latter.
Sponsored

Jasonsynaptic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Understood. If this was a last minute decision with no time to plan, or to bring Mr. Brock in to do anything different, then of course this makes sense. And who am I to judge (which apparently I did in ignorance to the process)?

Doesn't discount the fact that the cars needed "belt and suspenders": GT350 badging and GT350 striping. Would have preferred they left the fender badging off. I don't know if the badging is bolted to the car or on with adhesive. Would remove mine if the latter.
They're bolted on...or rather, plastic inserts into holes in the door.

Jasonsynaptic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I contacted the folks who did the paint job. They're totally willing to do it again and get the specs off Peter Brock...although cost is high. ~15K for OTT and side stripes. ~12.5K for just the OTT stripes.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Oooooooooowie, that’s hefty!! How can I drive it after if I only have one arm and one leg left?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That is more than I paid. Just saying.
Sounds high. I only paid around $3k just for the OTTs but don't know exactly because I also had them paint the strut brace and spoiler and redo the white bumpers for a better color match. Dealer would have done the bumpers under warranty but I didn't want to have my stripes laid over a dealer paint job. I also think my shop would charge more to do another. They didn't really have a way to price the job. It took me months of begging and cajoling to get them to do it.

That extra $2.5k @Jasonsynaptic was quoted for the side strips with lettering is more reasonable and actually seems low compared to what they want for work and material for the OTTs.

I suspect someone with the measurements could find someone who could do as good a job as Slingblade got for $5k to $8k. Not that finding that someone would be easy and obviously riskier (remember @slingblade's first painter).

Sponsored

OP
OP
slingblade

slingblade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 HEP GT350R
I paid $13,582 exact. My understanding is that was due to the fact I had to undo the god awful wrong colored stripes previously done.

I am a little surprised that they are quoting that high. I would have maybe expected $10K for the OTT and side combo. Couple of reasons I’m thinking maybe they quote that high. (1) they primarily do insurance jobs and that is more cost effective for them. Doing this custom work maybe they want to make it worth their time. (2) Maybe after doing mine they figured out it was more work than they thought. (3)Purely just attempting to profit off what the product is.
Maybe a combination of all 3.

I would say this though. The work, color, and everything that goes into doing this will be good. It will be correct. I could just give some measurements out and you can have someone else attempt to replicate it. It may turn out well. It may turn out something of the lines that got me here in the first place. I’m happy with the result. I was ready to set the car on fire with the first attempt at painted OTT stripes.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I am a little surprised that they are quoting that high. I would have maybe expected $10K for the OTT and side combo. Couple of reasons I’m thinking maybe they quote that high. (1) they primarily do insurance jobs and that is more cost effective for them. Doing this custom work maybe they want to make it worth their time. (2) Maybe after doing mine they figured out it was more work than they thought. (3)Purely just attempting to profit off what the product is.
Yeah. The biggest obstacle to getting my shop to do the job was they couldn't know for sure how it would impact the bread and butter work flow. And they didn't have tools they could plug in some numbers and get an estimate of the hours it would take. And in my case, turned out that VB has 3 different pearls in it and they only stocked one or two and didn't want to buy a quantity of the other(s) since they weren't likely to need them in the future. Meant they chose to have BASF make them a batch of premixed at significantly more per quart than it costs them to mix in house, plus the trips to pick it up, etc, etc..

Jasonsynaptic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I paid $13,582 exact. My understanding is that was due to the fact I had to undo the god awful wrong colored stripes previously done.

I would say this though. The work, color, and everything that goes into doing this will be good. It will be correct. I could just give some measurements out and you can have someone else attempt to replicate it. It may turn out well. It may turn out something of the lines that got me here in the first place. I’m happy with the result. I was ready to set the car on fire with the first attempt at painted OTT stripes.
Yeah, I was also surprised at the $$! Was expecting more around $10K. @HoosierDaddy $3K sounds like an amazing deal! 15K is def out of my price range...wonder if I can talk them down. It does sound like they're trying to profit somewhat...especially given that Peter presumably devoted his time to designing the stripe for FREE!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, I was also surprised at the $$! Was expecting more around $10K. @HoosierDaddy $3K sounds like an amazing deal!
It might have been more like $4k for the OTT stripes. They were doing other things (spoiler, strut brace, mirror covers, repaint bumpers) at the same time. There are fixed costs for any job (taking up space, mixing paint, clean up guns, etc.) and I don't know how much counted toward the stripes and how much for the rest. And on the bumpers, they had to prep them for repainting but that's the same prep for laying the stripes and clearing and all of that was probably treated as part of the bumper repaint.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I work with body shops almost daily.
I was told a long time ago you either work custom or you don’t. If your business model isn’t set up for it your pricing can seem outrageous.
Now if you were someone like Penske who signed a contract with Ford to do the OTT stripes for the GT500, you could really set up one heck of a production team to get them done cheaper for sure. Fords 10K option is probably 5-7k from Penske. I’ve spoken to Body Shops who were shocked at the 10K Ford option pricing....it’s a money maker for sure.
I think all the work that Slingblade had done is a bargain for 15K. I’m sure the quality is 10X’s better than if Penske’s mass produced team would have done it. Just way more care put into it, not to mention thicker, more expensive clear coat.

Sponsored

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830

Considering the amount of work to repair the previous OTT strips, plus having Pete Brock do the new OTT stripes, the extra cost is definetly reasonable. I would not be surprised if an owner would pay the same or close to the same amount to be able to claim Pete Brock did the work.

Jasonsynaptic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Considering the amount of work to repair the previous OTT strips, plus having Pete Brock do the new OTT stripes, the extra cost is definetly reasonable. I would not be surprised if an owner would pay the same or close to the same amount to be able to claim Pete Brock did the work.
I think the original cost for the work is a bargain for sure. Just not sure 15K is though. I emailed them about it...sounds like they won't be bargaining on this, which is fair enough. Agree that having a Peter Brock design on the car is a huge plus. I'm debating it.

Pparana

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Im painting mine on myself at some point. Id say anything under 10k for all sides is prob not done right. 5_7 for stripes sides are more of a pain. Your car with bad stripes would honestly triple the work. No stripes is not as bad as its pretty simple. I wont bother w the glass ill just blend it in, but again w 2 layers thats a whole other show. Most body shops are production and will not be interested in painting that.

OP
OP
slingblade

slingblade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 HEP GT350R
Saw another thread asking about measurements So I just went out and took a look with a tape measure. I’d say to replicate this it is more than the measurements, but those are a starting point. I think a lot of it is just looking at the lines on the car. They definitely taper going over the car front to back. The only consistent measurement is the distance between the two stripes. 1 1/16”.
-The front fascia varies between 10 1/8” to 10 1/4”
- Where front fascia meets hood I’m showing 10”
- Forward edge of hood 10 1/4”
- Forward edge of heat extractor/hood vent 10 7/8”
- Rear edge of heat extractor/hood vent 11”
- Taper continues to rear of hood at 12”
- Forward edge of roof is 11 1/16” and tapers to 10 3/4” toward rear glass.
-Trunk is about 10 1/4” and tapers to 9 7/8” on deck lid.
-9 7/8” down the back of the car.

You can definitely see the taper in the pics below.
7014129E-326D-4690-A24B-28678C73C780.jpeg
734D875D-7D98-4782-975D-B321DFF9527F.jpeg

Last edited:

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
Wow, that front view is off the charts!
Sponsored