Sponsored

Permanently disable colored mood lights in door handle recess and foot wells.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I'm sorry but what the heck is wrong with all of you. All this over a few G-d damn lights. Cars have had interior lighting for decades. Ford decided to do something a little different with My Color. Suck it up and deal with it. If it is bothering you this much you shouldn't have gotten a premium car in the first place. Now that you have it shut the f-ck up and just turn it off.

And Mikey, the sill panel lighting, really. Back in 15' owners were clamoring to get the lighted sills. Now your bitching about something you see for 2 seconds as you open and close the door. Geez, if this is your biggest gripe just put on duct tape over it and move on.

Now stop this shit and get back to some really serious topics. A10 vs M6, all seasons or summer/winters, reg. vs. premium, 5-20w or 5-30w.

:cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup:

All kidding aside, I had/have My Color on my 15' and 19' and like the option of changing the "mood" lighting.
I actually was in a 2018+ Mustang GT A10 base with just the VMP Odin, Mickey Thompson Street SS, and Catless headers with Borla exhaust. Man does that thing pull it just bangs gears so fast. It was unbelievable how helpless the speedometer was once we accelerated. Man those A10s are amazing, and the Odin is an animal.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm sorry but what the heck is wrong with all of you. All this over a few G-d damn lights. Cars have had interior lighting for decades. Ford decided to do something a little different with My Color. Suck it up and deal with it. If it is bothering you this much you shouldn't have gotten a premium car in the first place. Now that you have it shut the f-ck up and just turn it off.
Preferences in appearance are subjective and individual. Mikey's original post specifically asked about turning the mood lighting off.

With options now coming in 'packages' rather that individually (like it mostly used to be) it's easy to find yourself stuck with something you don't care for - even something you actively dislike - in order to get something that you really do want.

Norm

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, yes, but it's one thing to complain about something that affects your driving experience somehow, and another to complain about a door sill that you can only see while the door is open. Fantasizing about firing Ford employees just because you get a glimpse of an illuminated door sill for two seconds is just silly.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

And Mikey, the sill panel lighting, really. Back in 15' owners were clamoring to get the lighted sills. Now your bitching about something you see for 2 seconds as you open and close the door. Geez, if this is your biggest gripe just put on duct tape over it and move on.

Now stop this shit and get back to some really serious topics. A10 vs M6, all seasons or summer/winters, reg. vs. premium, 5-20w or 5-30w.

:cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl::crackup:

All kidding aside, I had/have My Color on my 15' and 19' and like the option of changing the "mood" lighting.
Ex found your beer stash did she ?:rockon::sunglasses::cwl::crackup::handsinair::thumbsup:

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Well, yes, but it's one thing to complain about something that affects your driving experience somehow, and another to complain about a door sill that you can only see while the door is open. Fantasizing about firing Ford employees just because you get a glimpse of an illuminated door sill for two seconds is just silly.
Actually, I'd like to fire them for discontinuing the GT350. :handsinair:

Sponsored

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
To me, they are totally unnecessary. We lived without them for years. They add unneeded cost to the bottom line. I am a minimalist. As such, these should be optional.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
They are optional. They're part of the premium trim level, or the 301A package. For minimalists there's the plain vanilla base GT. No ambient lights in that.

Actually, I'd like to fire them for discontinuing the GT350. :handsinair:
Was it discontinued because some lazy employees woke up one morning and decided they couldn't be bothered to make it anymore? In that case you would be right in firing them.
But I have a hunch that its demise has more to do with the sales figures than with anything else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The sill plate lights will be disconnected today. Vlad, one cannot get the heated/cooled seats on the base model. Where I am in TX, they are in my aged, addled mind, a necessity. As is the heated steering wheel. I simply wish that Ford would not shove down my throat, unnecessary bling. I bought the car for long distance touring. Not as a garage queen or, as vehicle to take to cars 'n coffee.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They are optional. They're part of the premium trim level, or the 301A package. For minimalists there's the plain vanilla base GT. No ambient lights in that.
Optional as long as you don't want any part of premium trim or the 301A package . . . once you have to have any one part of either of those you're stuck with getting the entire package.

Norm

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Sadly, so true. This is why I am slowly disabling them. Item by item. I will eventually get there. I imagine I am not the only one based on what I'm reading on the forscan forum.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Optional as long as you don't want any part of premium trim or the 301A package . . . once you have to have any one part of either of those you're stuck with getting the entire package.
Indeed. But one could argue that the premium trim or the 301A package themselves are unnecessary, because we've been living without them for years, and they just add unnecessary cost.

Vlad, one cannot get the heated/cooled seats on the base model. Where I am in TX, they are in my aged, addled mind, a necessity. As is the heated steering wheel. I simply wish that Ford would not shove down my throat, unnecessary bling. I bought the car for long distance touring. Not as a garage queen or, as vehicle to take to cars 'n coffee.
Fair enough. I see your point. If it's any consolation, Ford is noticeably better in this respect than other manufacturers, particularly French ones. Japanese car makers are the worst - you just get three or four trim levels, no packages, no options, no customization, no nothing.
At the other end of the spectrum are German manufacturers - they allow you to customize everything. You'd think that's a good thing, but try to configure a car, and I assure you you'll give up after ten minutes. A German car configurator is literally overwhelming. I tried to configure a Mini for my wife a few months ago. After a few minutes I gave up, made a list of features I wanted, a list of features I didn't want, sent both to the dealer and said "this is the car I want, please tick all the necessary boxes to get it". And even he had some trouble getting it right; it took three or four iterations.

OP
OP
cactus_kid

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Years ago, we actually were able to do that. Then the US automakers started copying the Oriental way of building /selling cars ..............

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Years ago, we actually were able to do that. Then the US automakers started copying the Oriental way of building /selling cars ..............
Option packaging was implemented when manufacturers realized the cost savings of doing so. Lowering costs kept the price of a new car down which is what the public wanted.

In today’s world going back to individual options would be next to impossible. Just in time assembly lines couldn’t handle it and even if they could costs would skyrocket. There’s a reason the Germans are the only ones who do it. A $50k MB, Porsche, BMW or Audi winds up costing $70-80k with options. Can you just see Ford trying to do that?

And buy the way, the “oriental” way of doing things was created by Dr. Edward Deming, an American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Indeed. But one could argue that the premium trim or the 301A package themselves are unnecessary, because we've been living without them for years, and they just add unnecessary cost.
I would agree, provided that the choice in seating was made a stand-alone option. I've been where Mikey is with our most recent shopping experience. Base and Premium trim seating was deal-breaker uncomfortable for both me and my wife, but the Limited trim seating was so much better that it's hard to understand how a mfr could allow there to be so much difference in the same model car. But we ended up with a s--t-ton of feature content we'd have never otherwise opted for and won't ever use. Comparable cars that might have had the seating with less feature content being automatic-only made them deal-breakers from the get-go.

Deming was looking at the business, not the consumer . . . and I think the Asian mfrs extrapolated at least one of his 14 points too far in too narrow of a direction.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Deming was looking at the business, not the consumer . . . and I think the Asian mfrs extrapolated at least one of his 14 points too far in too narrow of a direction.
Dr. Deming brought his work to American manufacturers and they showed him the door. He then went to Japan where they welcomed him with open arms. The changes made by the Japanese auto industry reverberated around the world, especially in the United States. The big three started implementing a number of Dr. Deming's ideas.

Interesting enough I worked with Dr. Deming's nephew during my years at Panasonic. So I know both Dr. Deming's work and how Japanese manufacturing works.

Bottom line is you get what you get. Bitching about what comes in what package is pointless. If you buy a package for a specific feature but do not like another feature in that package, turn it off, remove it or ignore it. Either that or go buy a custom car in which you can tell the manufacturer exactly what you want or do not want. Remember you're talking about a Ford not a Rolls Royce.
Sponsored