Performance Package or Not?

lonerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
EB Premium PP Convertible; Guard w/Saddle
I ordered my Ecoboost vert on 5/5 with PP; however, I'm hearing from some folks that the PP makes the ride much harsher. I also read an Edmunds.com article that states that with the PP, most testers don't want to drive the car (this was with the GT). I felt the ride was harsh when I tested one with PP but it didn't register as the PP being the issue :headbonk:; I was thinking it might be the seats :crazy:. The dealer says it's not to late to remove the PP.

I'm a retired vet with 30% disability of which 20% is for my back so I'm seriously thinking of dropping the PP. Experiences/thoughts anyone? I may just have to go back to the dealer and try out one with and without PP.
Thanks,

Nick.

I love these emoticons...
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I ordered my Ecoboost vert on 5/5 with PP; however, I'm hearing from some folks that the PP makes the ride much harsher. I also read an Edmunds.com article that states that with the PP, most testers don't want to drive the car (this was with the GT). I felt the ride was harsh when I tested one with PP but it didn't register as the PP being the issue :headbonk:; I was thinking it might be the seats :crazy:. The dealer says it's not to late to remove the PP.

I'm a retired vet with 30% disability of which 20% is for my back so I'm seriously thinking of dropping the PP. Experiences/thoughts anyone? I may just have to go back to the dealer and try out one with and without PP.
Thanks,

Nick.

I have an EcoBoost with the PP. Its not as harsh as you think. Its forgivable on bumpy roads, but not enough to rattle your teeth. I felt the stock suspension was a little floaty. Takes turns very well, corners pretty flat (in my opinion).

Your decision though.

OP
OP

lonerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
EB Premium PP Convertible; Guard w/Saddle
I have an EcoBoost with the PP. Its not as harsh as you think. Its forgivable on bumpy roads, but not enough to rattle your teeth. I felt the stock suspension was a little floaty. Takes turns very well, corners pretty flat (in my opinion).

Your decision though.
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts. Right now, I work about 3 miles from work and the speeds never exceed 35MPH (I work on a military installation) so I don't do much high speed cornering; however, my home is Colorado and I expect to go back there at the end of this year. Now, there we do have twisties which is one reason I ordered with the PP. But with my back, I'm not sure that was a wise move...

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I am not so young; I do not find it too harsh; I love the PP dash

deven2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deven
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT w/ PP

Thanks,

Nick.

Those articles are ridiculous. The ride quality is fantastic. It just handles better than non-PP. It may be slightly harsher, but the everyday driver probably wouldn't notice.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I'd recommend driving both back2back. What's harsh for some is b perfectly livable, and preferable, for others. To me the regular non-PP felt floaty, while the PP GT felt glued to the road which I liked. You definitely felt more more of the road with the PP but again I liked that.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Thanks,

Nick.

The PP Eco and GT are great bargains from the factory and the ride is a little tighter but fine for daily driving. You will be sorry if you don't get it.:doh:

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
I think mine rides great, but i am coming from a lifted rubicon on 35s. but most people comment on how nice the car rides:shrug:

emeraldprincess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Ecoboost, 13' FRS, 2008 FJ Crusier
I think the ride is fantastic and I'm in MI and with these terrible roads it was pretty smooth handling all of the bumps. There is this one stretch of road when driving from my dealer which is just awful, not a smooth surface for about 2 miles, nothing but bumps, holes and cracks (a lot of semi trucks in this area) and the stang handled them well, imo :)

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I have a non pp. I enjoy the cushy ride. The 18s also help with the comfort. To me the car rides like a dream. I don't want a car with harsh suspension anymore. My last car had sport suspension and it really ruined the drive for me. Of course the handful of times I drove it fast it was nice to have that stiff suspension. The other 99% of the time I hated the ride. I'm also a guy that bought an ecoboost vs a gt so obviously performance wasn't my main concern. On a cruiser convertible I'd go with the comfy ride.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have an Ecoboost with the Performance Package and I find the ride to as smooth and comfortable as any car I have owned in the past 40 years. I am amazed at how well the suspension handles the pot hole riddled New England roads where I live.

I drove both PP and non but not back to back and there wasn't enough difference in the ride that I could remember that stood out.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
every week we got a pp or not thead lol

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
You will get as many opinions as there are Mustang owners.

When I was test driving, trying to pick out mine, I drove an EB with PP, an EB without, a GT with PP and a GT without. I felt that the PP cars were rough riding.

Now, I will be 55 next month......had back surgery back in 1994, and still need a comfortable ride. I felt that PP and non-PP cars were very comfortable, but I could certainly feel the road more in the PP car. And, as much as I wanted the extra dash gauges, I did not want the rougher ride.

Additionally, I did NOT want Summer Tires......I mean, who wants to replace tires 2 to 3 times as often?

Since this is bothering you to some extent, and if you still have the opportunity to change the order, ask the dealer to drive a PP car and a non-PP car. Try roads like you'd drive daily. Then decide.

Again, you will get many opinions, but only yours counts.

Last edited:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
So many PP guys weigh in on these threads it gets a little biased. Realize only a small minority of Mustang production is PP; most of us have the base setup. I'll say again, this is my 6th Mustang, including three along the way with really healthy modified suspensions. This base GT with 18" wheels is by FAR the best-handling and best-riding of the bunch. It is NOT floaty in any sort of normal or sporting driving, up to what is probably 80 percent of its limits, which is about all a lot of us are willing to do on the public road system. The brakes are more than adequate in such circumstances, and the car is massively comfortable.

While I am sure the PP adds capability at the limit (just the summer tires add about 0.10 g of cornering limit) Ford really hit a great ride/handling compromise with the base suspension. I understand there are a lot of people very happy with the PP. That's wonderful, glad you are. But recognize that the base package is no longer the chopped liver that it used to be, and is without doubt a better choice for those who won't be charging around, tracking, autocrossing, or whatever but is more concerned with commuting, cruising and long road trips. Of course, if you want an AT like me, the choice is made for you.

Ford makes a spectrum of Mustangs because there is a spectrum of Mustang enthusiasts. Not all of us wanted the tightest, loudest, shortest-geared manual transmission model, and we are quite happy with our choices. I get really tired of the "PP or it's crap" attitude I see too often around here.
Sponsored