Perfect launch from a dig in a boosted 6R80

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I don't street race my car against other people but when I stop at the lights I sometimes feel the urge to launch that baby just because I can. :D

When the car was stock the game was easy - just floor it and watch her go.

Going boosted was game changer, but in a negative way when it comes to a quick launch from a dig. It's really hard to find the right amount of throttle to go fast without loosing traction.

My car has the Edelbrock Stage 1, 735 crank hp and 650 ft lbs. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285 on 20". Pressure cold 33 PSI, warm 38 PSI.

I won't change tire, size or pressure as my focus is road performance. I just want to get the best of it as things are.

How do guys manage a perfect launch?
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You change to a better tire. There are better performance tires out there that can hook better. What do you expect to hear. If you wonā€™t listen to good advice then why ask
This is a great example of why forums are less appealing than they could be. You can disagree with his theory/approach to his car without being snarky, or frankly, a dick. Not everyone has the same purpose as you, the same experience as you, or the same end goal as you. There are answers to his question other than the one thing he said he didnā€™t want to change.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
You change to a better tire. There are better performance tires out there that can hook better. What do you expect to hear. If you wonā€™t listen to good advice then why ask

As I said, I am good with MPS4S. I use the car 95% on country roads and for that they suit my needs.

I look for a good strategy to apply just that amount of power to be as quick as possible off the line without spinning the tires. With the AT there are probably not so many options.

I tried starting in 2nd and 3rd gear. I thought that would be easier but for me that didn't work as good as going through all the gears paddle shifting. Nevertheless I don't get a good as stock.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Much better tires are the only way.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
This is a great example of why forums are less appealing than they could be. You can disagree with his theory/approach to his car without being snarky, or frankly, a dick. Not everyone has the same purpose as you, the same experience as you, or the same end goal as you. There are answers to his question other than the one thing he said he didnā€™t want to change.
I disagree, the reason online forums suck is people get their feelings hurt. I know him a little, Jackson1320, he is blunt guy and speaks his mind. I don't think he meant it as being a fill in the blank. At this point in my life I'd rather someone tell me I am all f-ed up, and save me the money and time and I'll worry about my feelings later.

Edit to add, WildHorse, another one of those types was blunt to me about tire choice. I got my feelings hurt, but eventually wised up. The thread is here somewhere.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Honestly, in reading this, there really isnā€™t any other option for you other than new tires. You may even have a little better luck airing down your stock tires but you have to be willing to do that. Thereā€™s really nothing else... you can try to feather the throttle and stay out of boost but youā€™re not really going to be any quicker. I air down down my Nitto R2 drag radials and usually have more success but not always unless I heat them up. When I do, they hook way better. Even the R2s when aired down but cold will spin in 1-2 and possibly 3.

Try airing them down just to see...

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Feathering the throttle is about the only way to get a good launch without DR's.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Some weight plates from a home gym in the spare tire well. Thats an old trick, and free.
With the tires traction limited, the goal is to get the majority of the cars weight pressing the tire harder into the ground. Sometimes you just need to add more over the rear wheels.
Try 180lbs-225lbs.

Works better if you have a adjustable rear shock to turn up and help control this additional weight.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Honestly, in reading this, there really isnā€™t any other option for you other than new tires. You may even have a little better luck airing down your stock tires but you have to be willing to do that. Thereā€™s really nothing else... you can try to feather the throttle and stay out of boost but youā€™re not really going to be any quicker. I air down down my Nitto R2 drag radials and usually have more success but not always unless I heat them up. When I do, they hook way better. Even the R2s when aired down but cold will spin in 1-2 and possibly 3.

Even R2's will spin a lot at anything over 700RW. Mine spun/chirped through 5 gears on concrete at only 10 PSI.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1

This. PS4S will spin in second and 3rd, ask me how i know. or anyone who saw my video from the drag strip :facepalm:šŸ˜¬ that was on my A10 car with basically just cat back and E85, not even boost. i think weights, as mentioned, would be your best bet outside of different rubber. though you may not want to drive around constantly with a few hundred extra pounds in your trunk. trade offs as with anything.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Racing a boosted Mustang from a dig without the proper tires (DRs) is never going to be satisfying. With street tires, about the only solution is use less throttle until it gets to 3rd or 4th gear.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I disagree, the reason online forums suck is people get their feelings hurt. I know him a little, Jackson1320, he is blunt guy and speaks his mind. I don't think he meant it as being a fill in the blank. At this point in my life I'd rather someone tell me I am all f-ed up, and save me the money and time and I'll worry about my feelings later.

Edit to add, WildHorse, another one of those types was blunt to me about tire choice. I got my feelings hurt, but eventually wised up. The thread is here somewhere.
I donā€™t disagree with any of that, but again, you can help or even ā€œbe bluntā€ without adding ā€œwhat do you expect to hear. If you wonā€™t listen to good advice then why askā€. That isnā€™t blunt, itā€™s demeaning. Itā€™s also likely to result is people not listening to you and missing out on good advice.

Iā€™ve seen some of Jacksonā€™s stuff before and heā€™s obviously respectably knowledgeable. Doesnā€™t give him license to speak down to people that donā€™t have his experience or want to do the same thing he does. At the end of the day I just wanna look at nice cars and learn more about the mods I have planned for my carā€¦ you can be blunt with me all you want.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Even R2's will spin a lot at anything over 700RW. Mine spun/chirped through 5 gears on concrete at only 10 PSI.
Exactly. I air mine right down and they're "better" but unless I heat them up and i'm on good pavement, there's not a lot that can be done. The R2s, to me anyways, offer the best mid ground for daily street driving and having traction and decent mileage than anything. MT ET Rs would offer better straight-line traction at a cost of wear and cornering. To me they shine better at the track.

However, OP is hoping to find traction from a dig on the street with Pilots. Weight in the trunk could help. Airing down could help. Feathering throttle and staying out of boost could help. As I see it, these appear to be the only options and none of these is really going to get OP a really hard launch. Myself, I would be really afraid to add in a bunch of unsecured weight in the trunk... Remember those TV commercials in the 70's with the Kleenex box on the rear panel that comes flying forward in a collision or hard braking? No thanks...
Sponsored