Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
2 cents here, had my first oil change at 3500, 21 base GT. Started to here the tick intermittently, did lots of reading and watching and let it go. Went to my first track day with car at approx 5000 miles. Drove the piss out of it 7k shifts, etc. Top speed 137, 3 20 min sessions. Cooked the stock brakes bad. Had shifter lockout where i had to count 1-1000 between shifts to get it into 3rd and 4th. But after the track day.......TICK IS COMPLETELY GONE.
The Italian tune up lol
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I just went from Dino 5w-30 to synthetic 5w-30 and now I have engine tick noise. May have had it earlier but very noticeable now. Using a stethoscope noise is loudest touching exhaust header at #1 and gets quieter as I move toward #4. Drivers side is OK. Noise isn't loud at intake manifold runners. Wonder if it's occasional valve on seat noise or un-burnt gas lighting off.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just went from Dino 5w-30 to synthetic 5w-30 and now I have engine tick noise. May have had it earlier but very noticeable now. Using a stethoscope noise is loudest touching exhaust header at #1 and gets quieter as I move toward #4. Drivers side is OK. Noise isn't loud at intake manifold runners. Wonder if it's occasional valve on seat noise or un-burnt gas lighting off.
I did the same thing to 100% synthetic. No issues.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
For what is worth, 21' GT here as well. First oil change at 5,000 miles with Royal Purple 5W30 no tick after 600 miles.

report back after the 2nd oil change. Thats when a lot of them start to tick.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I add a bottle after every oil change.

I can't say that you "should" do this, but it definitely makes the tick go away.

I have been using Ceratec in my '20 since its first oil change, currently at about 18k miles.

Try just using 100ml (1/3 of the bottle) thats all I need for my tick to go away.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
so it looks like the ceratec lasts in the engine even after you change oil again, up to 30K.
What do you guys think?
Strange it occurs around oil change (as reported).
I m trying to avoid it and planning my first oil change using semi synthetic 5-30 MotorCraft as in car now and it pretty quiet. Got a bottle of ceratec maybe to use 1/2 on first change.
It s been talked about to death , I agree, but an answer would be nice. Ford absolutely knows what it is. Maybe they can t say their oil sucks go buy another brand, LOL.

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so it looks like the ceratec lasts in the engine even after you change oil again, up to 30K.
What do you guys think?
I m trying to avoid it and planning my first oil change using semi synthetic 5-30 MotorCraft as in car now and it pretty quiet. Got a bottle of ceratec maybe to use 1/2 on first change.
It s been talked about to death , I agree, but an answer would be nice. Ford absolutely knows what it is. Maybe they can t say their oil sucks go buy another brand, LOL.

I would add just 100ml or a 1/3 of the bottle, and go from there. I went with Motorcraft 5W-30 and the tick still reared its ugly head.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
What do you guys think?
I think most guys who use Ceratec need to add a little bit (like 150ml = half a bottle) after each oil change as it doesn't seem to "last" as described (ie, lasts for "30K miles").

The theory is that the tick appears right after an oil change because new oil strips off the built up tribo-layer of the AF/AW additives, and that changes the friction level between moving parts. If there clearances on the excessive side, then a change in friction between the moving parts could cause them to bang against each other more than normal and cause the ticking. People have also reported the tick slowly goes away as the miles rack up on an oil change, which also supports the change in friction due to build-up of the AF/AW tribo-layer. Then a new oil change strips it and the tick appears again, then slowly disappears until another oil change. That seems to be the pattern.

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
No tick (yet)
1st oil change 5W-30 3k miles
2nd oil change 5W-50 6k miles
South FL

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
What do you guys think?
So...bottle and half ceratec made it go away. That is factual.

Now, the performance shop down here said next oil change do MoS2....tick came right back.

Next change I'll add ceratec in increments or try 5w30.

The oil will look "milky" which is a sign of coolant in the oil, but I do not have any leaks so ceratec makes it look like that. Anyone else notice this?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So...bottle and half ceratec made it go away. That is factual.

Now, the performance shop down here said next oil change do MoS2....tick came right back.

Next change I'll add ceratec in increments or try 5w30.

The oil will look "milky" which is a sign of coolant in the oil, but I do not have any leaks so ceratec makes it look like that. Anyone else notice this?
With only adding 1/3 of the bottle my oil did not look milky at all

FordBoy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
My 2021 GT developed the typewriter/ BBQ tick after the first oil change at 6435 miles (used Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic blend). Waited about 2500 miles and it wasn’t going away.

So, I added 150ml Cera Tec (1/2 bottle) yesterday and drove it for a few miles. Last evening and this morning, the tick is gone at startup and while idling once warmed up.
Sponsored