Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mustang GT, MT82D4, 301A, Black Accent Package

so now I’m getting this weird “taser” like noise, coming from the same spot as the suspected lifter tick came from before I unplugged the oil bypass solenoid.

I’m at a loss. I can’t imagine more oil pressure would cause it. I’ll probably just deal with it for now, I added some ceratec and I’ll hope for the best

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd

so now I’m getting this weird “taser” like noise, coming from the same spot as the suspected lifter tick came from before I unplugged the oil bypass solenoid.

I’m at a loss. I can’t imagine more oil pressure would cause it. I’ll probably just deal with it for now, I added some ceratec and I’ll hope for the best
just monitor your oil and if you're having healthy consumption every 500 miles and she pulls hard, you should have nothing to worry about. I'm on my 2nd engine after 1st one was replaced under warranty, 1st one had the tick and had bad oil consumption. This 2nd one ALSO has the tick, but pulls stronger than the replaced engine and has healthy oil consumption so far.. so I'm not stressing about it. I'm running full synthetic 5w30 ever since the engine was put together as that's what I requested to my tech who did the engine swap and install. It never touched any other oil besides the 5w30 full synthetic, and it still had the tick after the 1st oil change.

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
I have a 2016 GT 5.0 w/ Manual (44k mile) and noticed the typewriter tick when driving nearing curbs and walls. Happens at low load (<2500 rpm).

On unknown oil (when car was first bought), I dumped a bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec and the issue almost completely went away. Smoothed the motor out a little too.

Just performed an oil change with Full Synthetic and one bottle of Mos2. Tick came back but I'm waiting to see if it dies down or if I had to add more Mos2 in. Oil looked "milky" coming out.

Performance shop down here in Florida said do one bottle Ceratec, then next 2 oil changes do Mos2...repeat process with each oil change.

Just gonna have to live with this tick, and maybe up it to 5w30 on the next change. It is annoying and unsettling to hear, but I haven't heard a motor blow because of it yet. I will update if this LiquiMoly additive process works consistently, even though I'm not a fan of additives in the first place. 5w20 full syn might be a bit thin down here in Florida where its always hot.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
2 cents here, had my first oil change at 3500, 21 base GT. Started to here the tick intermittently, did lots of reading and watching and let it go. Went to my first track day with car at approx 5000 miles. Drove the piss out of it 7k shifts, etc. Top speed 137, 3 20 min sessions. Cooked the stock brakes bad. Had shifter lockout where i had to count 1-1000 between shifts to get it into 3rd and 4th. But after the track day.......TICK IS COMPLETELY GONE.

noGreta!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus IS350 F Sport
For what is worth, 21' GT here as well. First oil change at 5,000 miles with Royal Purple 5W30 no tick after 600 miles.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Had this intermittently on my 2019 5.0 PP2 with 15kmiles when I got it. When I made the move to 5W-30 from 5W-20 it decreased.

On this 2021, every time I remote started I noticed it walking up to car (tick tick), now that its been on 5W-30 for a month, I don't ever hear it. I'm not saying it solves it, but I am starting to feel the motor likes 5W-30 better.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Ford has been saying to use 5w30 on mod motors since the 90's after they figured out they like it. will be running only 5w30 when my car comes in for this reason. seems like the 5w20 is just BS to satisfy the EPA.

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Update:

Driven 500 miles, MoS2 has done nothing to quiet down engine tick.

As of now, only Ceratec has made the tick go away.

I guess now my question is, should I add Ceratec every oil change?

I'm not disregarding that its hot as hell in Florida right now on 5W20 and this is tough to mitigate with any additive

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
As of now, only Ceratec has made the tick go away.

I guess now my question is, should I add Ceratec every oil change?
I add a bottle after every oil change.

I can't say that you "should" do this, but it definitely makes the tick go away.

I have been using Ceratec in my '20 since its first oil change, currently at about 18k miles.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I am not going to read through this 37 page rant session to see how many people understand what is going on, but I'll suggest to the folks that don't like the tick to run a 10W30 not a 5W30 and stay away from 5W20 unless you are running a high quality synthetic like RedLine, AMSOil or Royal Purple. It will slow down the bleed from the lifter orifices and quiet down the engine. Of course, the lifters won't bleed down the way Ford intended at high rpm. So if you don't care about high rpm performance, keep doing things to eliminate the tick at idle. If you are running quality oil then the tick isn't going to harm anything other than your sensibilities.
Drunk posting advice over.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Lots of Coyotes don't have the BBQ tick, even with the recommended 5W-20. A real BBQ tick isn't really effected by oil viscosity, it's effected mainly by the friction level of the oil. That's why only 150 to 300 cc of CerTec added to 8 to 10 quarts of oil makes the BBQ tick disappear almost instantly. Motor oils with more Moly than others may have an effect on the BBQ tick because Moly is an effective anti-friction/anti-wear additive.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
On my 2019, the tick was pretty much drowned out by the Borla catback unless I was near a building, like in a drive thru and you could hear the sound reflection. But I did catch it from time to time until I went to 5W-30. The current car, which was a stock exhaust, and one where I use remote start all the time, ticked a lot as I walked up to it to get in (9400 miles when I got it). I'm at 10300 miles now, its been on 5W-30 Mobil for 1 month, and I don't ever hear it tick now. Not sure what was in it before, but I assume it was the 5w-20 the dealer would put in, they changed it before I bought it.

I'm not saying either way that the tick is a bad thing, I don't think it is, but mine did quiet up in two instances going to 5W-30 Mobil 1.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I remember when GMs early LS motors had piston slap,GM called it normal and was sued
and lost millions as cyl walls dont lie when you see the internal damage
Sponsored