Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Keep in mind that the 1st and 2nd generation Coyotes have the BBQ Tick, and they do not have a computer controlled oiling system. So for the 3rd generation Coyote to stop ticking if the oil pressure (and flow) is increased by unplugging the oil flow control solenoid seems a bit unique.

But the noise that @blk_bean_s550 has is pretty loud valve train noise it seems. But he did mention his BBQ Tick was better or went away too.

What's the hot idle oil pressure on the 1st and 2nd generation Coyotes when running 5W-20? Is it higher than the hot idle pressure of 12-14 PSI on the 3rd generation Coyote?
Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
What's the hot idle oil pressure on the 1st and 2nd generation Coyotes when running 5W-20? Is it higher than the hot idle pressure of 12-14 PSI on the 3rd generation Coyote?
It is higher on the earlier gens but I don't recall exactly how much. In 18 the bypass came into effect.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In a stroke of what may seem like idiocy, I decided to try something I had read earlier on this topic and I unplugged the "oil by-pass solenoid" present on the Gen 3 coyote motors.

Lo and behold, no tick. In fact, my engine is running quieter than ever! I drove it 25 miles as a test, both slow driving and highway driving. No performance issues, no CEL's, and most importantly, no tick! I can't say for sure that this will be a permanent solution, but I'm certainly hoping it is. I'll post updates if I have any issues/CEL's.
I don't think that's a good idea long term....

I don't understand the entire purpose of the bypass solenoid but I can't imagine it has no purpose other than to annoy us with its propensity to create noises.

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mustang GT, MT82D4, 301A, Black Accent Package
I don't think that's a good idea long term....

I don't understand the entire purpose of the bypass solenoid but I can't imagine it has no purpose other than to annoy us with its propensity to create noises.
From what I can tell, the purpose of the oil bypass solenoid is simply to keep oil pressure low at idle for “fuel economy”. It’s not throwing any CEL’s or having any performance issues, so I don’t see how it would hurt anything. I can’t imaginea little extra oil pressure would hurt it but we’ll see I guess! Fingers are crossed for the best

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I can tell, the purpose of the oil bypass solenoid is simply to keep oil pressure low at idle for “fuel economy”. It’s not throwing any CEL’s or having any performance issues, so I don’t see how it would hurt anything. I can’t imaginea little extra oil pressure would hurt it but we’ll see I guess! Fingers are crossed for the best
What is your new oil pressure at idle?

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure that is what mine is stock, 5w30, 2021 GT. Maybe 20....

That's so interesting. Wonder why two cars that should be identical aren't? Mine is also a 21 GT, 5W-30, only mods I've done are Roush cold air intake and PP dash trim/gauges. Well and now the oil bypass solenoid "delete". Are you a factory PP? I'm curious if the PP's have different specs for performance

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Factory PP1. I bet it is just the variance in the gauges. Warm WOT I'm almost 80 PSI, cruising between 50-60 depending on revs over 2500 RPM.

The 2019 shop manual lists 5w20 oil and idle with normal oil temp 10-15 PSI, 30-40 PSI at 2000 RPM.
EDIT: I have the 2019 shop manual....

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yes, all "variable oil flow" schemes used on modern cars is to eek out a sliver more MPG to help meet CAFE fuel economy targets.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I thought it was actually put there to reduce drain back/flow from the massive cylinder heads. But I can't remember where I read that at or which driving situations that benefits.

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
Okay so after a few more days of driving around, I have good news and less preferable but not bad news.

good news: still no obnoxious tick! And still no check engine light either.

less preferable but not necessarily bad news: looks like the BBQ tick is back. Doesn’t bother me all that much since it’s very light compared to the initial tick I was dealing with, but I’ll probably add some ceratec to see if that settles it a bit. So the OBS may or may not contribute to the BBQ tick. It was definitely gone for a bit there, so I’m curious what the deal is with that.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so after a few more days of driving around, I have good news and less preferable but not bad news.

good news: still no obnoxious tick! And still no check engine light either.

less preferable but not necessarily bad news: looks like the BBQ tick is back. Doesn’t bother me all that much since it’s very light compared to the initial tick I was dealing with, but I’ll probably add some ceratec to see if that settles it a bit. So the OBS may or may not contribute to the BBQ tick. It was definitely gone for a bit there, so I’m curious what the deal is with that.
Did you already try 5w30 oil?
Sorry if you already said.
Sponsored