Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an update, the oil pan replacement solved my oil use issues. So far 500 miles on since the repair and oil hasn't budged. Before I would already be close to .5 litre down.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, just joined the forum. Unfortunately my first post has to go to this obnoxious ticking noise my car is making. After reading through several threads and watching several videos, I don’t believe that my car is exhibiting “typewriter tick”, but something different. Ford dealership tried to tell me it was the HPFP, but that doesn’t correlate with where the sound is coming from. I’ve attached a few YouTube links of videos I’ve taken of the sound, including one where you can still hear the ticking from 75 feet away.

Any ideas or help are much appreciated!

Edit: it’s a ‘21 Mustang GT base, 6-speed, got it with 19 miles on it on 1/25 and it just rolled 4000. Haven’t had any oil change yet, only mod is a roush cold air intake
Hello, I know this sound from my 2018 GT. It could be a injektor. try this: open the hood. start your cold engine and listen to the engine while it is warming up. you will notice all the changes of noises the coyote makes. after 30-50 seconds the ticking will start. interesting is, that we have two injektors per cyinder and they work together. a computer manages this. In my case , I dont know why , but after 20 seconds of idling the engine sounds perfectly smooth for some seconds. then the ticking starts, like a injektor starts to work. Thats why I dont think that the ticking is a mechanical problem. it could be a injektor. if it would be mechanical, it would never sound quite n the warm up, and it would increase with revs. cheers from Berlin, sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello, I know this sound from my 2018 GT. It could be a injektor. try this: open the hood. start your cold engine and listen to the engine while it is warming up. you will notice all the changes of noises the coyote makes. after 30-50 seconds the ticking will start. interesting is, that we have two injektors per cyinder and they work together. a computer manages this. In my case , I dont know why , but after 20 seconds of idling the engine sounds perfectly smooth for some seconds. then the ticking starts, like a injektor starts to work. Thats why I dont think that the ticking is a mechanical problem. it could be a injektor. if it would be mechanical, it would never sound quite n the warm up, and it would increase with revs. cheers from Berlin, sorry for my bad english.
Probably something to that given that the car cold starts on port injection ONLY, and then starts to phase in the direct injectors as it warms up.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

blk_bean_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dimitrius
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mustang GT, MT82D4, 301A, Black Accent Package

I had considered injectors, but they seem to be a much quieter tick than the one I'm experiencing. This tick doesn't start until after the engine is warmed up completely, and usually after driving it a short distance (Often once it is warmed up, I drive to check my mail which is 0.2mi/0.32km and once I stop in front of the mailbox, the ticking has started. I can also hear the ticking from 100ft/30m away, which seems really loud/far to be injectors. Mustang definitely makes a lot of noises, but most of them aren't too bad, just this one!

Side note, I got my oil changed at 5075mi and now my car has the famous BBQ tick in addition to the mysterious ticking noise (cue Puppet Potter Pals), so maybe now I'll be able to convince someone to take a deeper look at it. I have an appointment Tuesday at a different dealership, so hopefully they'll have a better answer for me than "HPFP" or "see SSM 49761".

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I have an appointment Tuesday at a different dealership, so hopefully they'll have a better answer for me than "HPFP" or "see SSM 49761".
That will be their standard answer, and probably the answer you'll get unless you can provide some other symptoms (or they can find some symptoms) that range outside of their SSM info. Good luck.

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
I had considered injectors, but they seem to be a much quieter tick than the one I'm experiencing. This tick doesn't start until after the engine is warmed up completely, and usually after driving it a short distance (Often once it is warmed up, I drive to check my mail which is 0.2mi/0.32km and once I stop in front of the mailbox, the ticking has started. I can also hear the ticking from 100ft/30m away, which seems really loud/far to be injectors. Mustang definitely makes a lot of noises, but most of them aren't too bad, just this one!

Side note, I got my oil changed at 5075mi and now my car has the famous BBQ tick in addition to the mysterious ticking noise (cue Puppet Potter Pals), so maybe now I'll be able to convince someone to take a deeper look at it. I have an appointment Tuesday at a different dealership, so hopefully they'll have a better answer for me than "HPFP" or "see SSM 49761".
Thx for the Infos, please keep us informed and cheers from Berlin

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
For those who have the tick like me (no Ceratec added), in addition to it ticking at idle,
Does yours also tick on throttle at the low rpm range around 1000~1700 rpm, wondering if that's normal? I can produce it consistently whenever I'm going through a parking lot in that low rpm range. My first engine also ticked at idle and in the same rpm range when I gave it gas, whether on idle, revving it on idle, or moving in that low rpm range.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those who have the tick like me (no Ceratec added), in addition to it ticking at idle,
Does yours also tick on throttle at the low rpm range around 1000~1700 rpm, wondering if that's normal? I can produce it consistently whenever I'm going through a parking lot in that low rpm range. My first engine also ticked at idle and in the same rpm range when I gave it gas, whether on idle, revving it on idle, or moving in that low rpm range.

Mine would vary, sometimes at idle. Sometimes at just light part throttle between 1k-1.7krpm. At idle it would do it very intermittently. It was just over 1k rpm that mine would really sound like a typewriter.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I am glad mine is abnormal.:party:

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Mine would vary, sometimes at idle. Sometimes at just light part throttle between 1k-1.7krpm. At idle it would do it very intermittently. It was just over 1k rpm that mine would really sound like a typewriter.
Gotcha, sounds like both my 1st and 2nd engine. It's a bit random at idle, but I could definitely reproduce it consistently at that low rpm range. If Im idling and I keep my foot throttled at that range, the ticking would just keep going. Then when I drive slowly in that rpm range I could hear it consistently, and more pronounced in a parking lot or moving next to a wall.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I don't have the type writer tick but if I keep the rpms around 2000 and gently add then decrease throttle I can make an injector sounding noise come and go. I am guessing it maybe the direct injection coming in and out or those little flappers in the intake rattling around.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
It is the dual overhead cams with variable valve timing on intake and exhaust valves. May be some chain clatter in there too. Is the nature of the beast. BOTH my mustang and tundra do it. Fortunately the Mustang is 1/4 the clatter the tundra makes

I have 75k miles on the Tundra, is no better or worse than day 1 with 25 miles.

5w30 helps a bit, but it is what it is. I personally hate it, but there are tundras with 300k and many coyotes with 100k plus.
Sponsored