Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
So is there a consensus on the 2k rpm rattle? What is it?
Nothing new info wise that I know of. Basically just live with it. So far zero effect on performance at all. Louder exhaust masks it very well.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
OK so new guy here and my 2019 PP1 had the 2-2.5k death rattle.....Ford scoped the cylinders today and noted scoring in #8 cylinder top to bottom....New engine approved and on it's way via Ford :) happy Camper here

new stang.jpg
hey - quick question... mine started off as similiar symptoms. Now they are replacing the trans pump, flex plate and timing chains... did you have similar issues?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
LOL.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I have been treating the tick with Ceratec since my first oil change with Mobile 1. Also used Castrol Edge with similar results. Tick comes back with a vengeance after a fresh oil change using either of the above oils. However at my 5th oil change at 40k miles I decided to try Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and guess what? Tick is gone! Still have a bottle of Ceratec sitting on the work bench for now. Anyone else had good luck running the Penzoil ULtra Platinum 5w-30?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have been treating the tick with Ceratec since my first oil change with Mobile 1. Also used Castrol Edge with similar results. Tick comes back with a vengeance after a fresh oil change using either of the above oils. However at my 5th oil change at 40k miles I decided to try Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 and guess what? Tick is gone! Still have a bottle of Ceratec sitting on the work bench for now. Anyone else had good luck running the Penzoil ULtra Platinum 5w-30?
That's all I've ever used. No tick but also a '16.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Just curious. Was the Mobile 1 and Castrol also 5w-30?

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just curious. Was the Mobile 1 and Castrol also 5w-30?
Tried both 5w-30 and 10w-30 on Mobile 1… no difference. The tick was the loudest with Mobile 1 but with Ceratec added it pretty much solved the issue. Also, as miles added up on oil change the engine got quieter.

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Tried both 5w-30 and 10w-30 on Mobile 1… no difference. The tick was the loudest with Mobile 1 but with Ceratec added it pretty much solved the issue. Also, as miles added up on oil change the engine got quieter.
Thanks for the feedback...

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Also, as miles added up on oil change the engine got quieter.
That's been reported by some other guys too. Theory is that as miles on the new oil gets racked up, the anti-friction/anti-wear layer on parts starts to from which reduces engine friction some, which is what Ceratec does - but Ceratec reduces friction almost instantly.

Then when the oil is changed, the new oil stips off most of that AF/AW tribolfilm off the engine parts, and whaloa, she starts ticking again.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
OK so new guy here and my 2019 PP1 had the 2-2.5k death rattle.....Ford scoped the cylinders today and noted scoring in #8 cylinder top to bottom....New engine approved and on it's way via Ford :) happy Camper here

new stang.jpg
Just saying as I have the same car. It is the faster color.

Jnave458

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

Have you attempted anything suggested by other owners who have resolved this issue? I’ve seen hundreds of posts saying ceratec silences it and even quiets other engine noise.

Jnave458

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
That's been reported by some other guys too. Theory is that as miles on the new oil gets racked up, the anti-friction/anti-wear layer on parts starts to from which reduces engine friction some, which is what Ceratec does - but Ceratec reduces friction almost instantly.

Then when the oil is changed, the new oil stips off most of that AF/AW tribolfilm off the engine parts, and whaloa, she starts ticking again.
So put ceratec in every time?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So put ceratec in every time?
Lots of people do. Sometimes only a half bottle (150 ml) will make the tick disappear. The BBQ tick has to be something dependent on the friction level between moving parts because Ceratec makes it go away almost instantly after it's poured into a running engine.
Sponsored