Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Mine started around 3500mi, before 1st oil change at 4300mi. One bottle of Ceratec mostly eliminates the tic running Mobile 1, 10w-30, but you can still hear on occasion up to around 5k miles on oil. After that, till next oil change, tick is gone. Fresh oil change brings it back in force though.
Sponsored

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
I'm at 7000 miles now and after the first oil change, I didn't hear any tick! Thank you to this wonderful forum members for all the support.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Just had my first oil change at 1000 miles on Friday. Friday evening I notice a "clacking" from my engine while I'm going through a drive-through (ice cream!). I'm immediately concerned... but it wasn't very consistent.

Fast-forward to Sunday - driving my car around town. Start noticing a "knocking" that I can both hear/feel inside the car (especially in the stick shift). This gets more consistent / worse while I'm driving it. Get it home and take the video below.

Can anyone confirm that this is the dreaded "typewriter" tick that they won't fix? Or is it something else that I should have them look at. Should I contact my dealer and document it even though I know they won't fix it?

BTW: I babied the car for that 1000 miles... and got the oil changed at the dealership.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Just had my first oil change at 1000 miles on Friday. Friday evening I notice a "clacking" from my engine while I'm going through a drive-through (ice cream!). I'm immediately concerned... but it wasn't very consistent.

Fast-forward to Sunday - driving my car around town. Start noticing a "knocking" that I can both hear/feel inside the car (especially in the stick shift). This gets more consistent / worse while I'm driving it. Get it home and take the video below.

Can anyone confirm that this is the dreaded "typewriter" tick that they won't fix? Or is it something else that I should have them look at. Should I contact my dealer and document it even though I know they won't fix it?

BTW: I babied the car for that 1000 miles... and got the oil changed at the dealership.

Yep, that's it. Bring it to the dealer's attention first then if they don't do anything add one bottle of Ceratec.

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yep, that's it. Bring it to the dealer's attention first then if they don't do anything add one bottle of Ceratec.
Thanks - brought it to the dealer this evening. They’ll check it out tomorrow…

sigh.

Reactions: PKs

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep; no doubt you're an official member of that club. Having said that, it's reportedly not detrimental to the engine at all, meaning it's probably side (lateral) rod knock, but it sure sounds nasty, and it shouldn't be there. Let us know what dealer says. Good luck.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That sounds more pronounced than the others I’ve heard but maybe it’s just me. The dealership will let you know. Hopefully with a proper diagnosis that is.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Sounds just like mine just after an oil change running Mobile one 5w-30 and no Ceratec. Usually sounds the worst after a hot restart where the car has reached operating temperature, shut down and sat for 30 minutes to an hour, then restarted.
I now run Castrol Edge 5w-30 plus Ceratec and tic is barely noticeable. As you add up miles on oil change it also gets better. Usually from around 4-5k till oil change I never hear it.
Never affected how the car performs and currently at 31.5k. I also did an easy 1k break in period, got the tic around 3.5k and did first oil change at 4.5k.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

The reason you heard it in the drive thru and it may have seemed louder. Cause the sound was reflecting off the wall.
Under the car the sound also bounces off the surface it sits on, cold weather and surfaces also enhances it .

Chasing a normal sound down a rabbit hole. Nothing wrong with the motor. Manual also has some noise

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The reason you heard it in the drive thru and it may have seemed louder. Cause the sound was reflecting off the wall.
Under the car the sound also bounces off the surface it sits on, cold weather and surfaces also enhances it .

Chasing a normal sound down a rabbit hole. Nothing wrong with the motor. Manual also has some noise
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I recognize that (the sound bouncing)... and I understand that engines make noises. Just a new vehicle so I want to make sure that the noises it's making are within tolerance. I also want to get it documented at the dealership so that if there is trouble down the road there was some track-record.

As for Ceratek... I can't decide if I want to go that path. I wouldn't want to do anything that could even possibly impact the warranty. I will probably just put up with the sound for a few years while it's in warranty instead. It's a toss-up between wanting to preserve the engine for longer - or being clear of any fault if it fails.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yep; no doubt you're an official member of that club. Having said that, it's reportedly not detrimental to the engine at all, meaning it's probably side (lateral) rod knock, but it sure sounds nasty, and it shouldn't be there. Let us know what dealer says. Good luck.
That sounds more pronounced than the others I’ve heard but maybe it’s just me. The dealership will let you know. Hopefully with a proper diagnosis that is.
Ok - dealership is taking this seriously.

They say they are going to take the oil pan off and look at bearings, etc. If they can't see anything then they may do a total teardown to find the issue. However, they may just drop in a new engine instead...

I'll keep you guys updated.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ok - dealership is taking this seriously.

They say they are going to take the oil pan off and look at bearings, etc. If they can't see anything then they may do a total teardown to find the issue. However, they may just drop in a new engine instead...

I'll keep you guys updated.
Be careful. I might trust a dealer to just look but I would be VERY unhappy to hear them say they are doing a teardown. If they find nothing or if Ford tells them they must have missed the bulletin saying the noise is harmless, they'll put it back together with the noise PLUS whatever ticking time bombs a dealer mechanic might leave.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
2016 gt/cs never had a tick. I always used 5w-50 Amsoil sig series or Driven 5w-50 weight with multiple oil changes. My Gen-2 motor is stock with opg's and a blower!

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Be careful. I might trust a dealer to just look but I would be VERY unhappy to hear them say they are doing a teardown. If they find nothing or if Ford tells them they must have missed the bulletin saying the noise is harmless, they'll put it back together with the noise PLUS whatever ticking time bombs a dealer mechanic might leave.
I hear you - but there's not much I can do about it. The way I see it.... there is a 5 year warranty on the engine. If they put it back together wrong... it will most-likely fail in that 5 years

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I mean - should I point them to the bulletin and have them do nothing?
Sponsored