Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I’m still not upgrading to an engine that has a noticeable “tick”. I’m also not upgrading to an engine that is known for piston slap at 2000rpm. Ford saying after years of this issue that it is normal does not give me any comfort.

The bottom line is that I don’t trust the 3rd Generation Coyote engine and I’m not alone. Ford saying the tick is normal does not change anything in my mind.

[/QUOTE
1st and 2nd gens had the tick also
Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
So is ford going to say since it's not detrimental that tracking your car and hauling ass on a hot day must be fine and won't be cited as a "well you obviously didn't need warnings from the noise your car was making so we aren't covering it" right?

Also..... Does this mean scoring and cylinder failure which comes from the tick along with the blue smoke and the engine failure as a "normal operating characteristic".

Is "needing to run non recommended additives to avoid embarrassment" a "normal operating characteristic"?

I kid....i joke. We have fun here.
hqdefault.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Normal equals many short block replacements...got it...

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Mine is as quiet as a church mouse but if the rotating assembly ever locks up, I won't be upset about ordering a new built forged shortblock for my car either.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm happy at least ceratec fixes the noise.

Sponsored

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yep, That’s what Ford 5.0 Powertrain Engineering told me 6 months ago. Also said it was oil cavitation causing the noise.
That actually makes sense. I have long suspected the "tick" had something to do with a low oil level. Because when I first developed the "tick" in my engine (about 500 miles) I checked the oil level, and discovered that I was 2 quarts low. It should have had 10 quarts for the Gen 3 coyotye. After I added oil, my "tick" was no longer there. So, low oil lever will cause the oil pump to begin cavitating due to air bubbles, being introduced into the system?

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Yep, That’s what Ford 5.0 Powertrain Engineering told me 6 months ago. Also said it was oil cavitation causing the noise.
My tick never sounded "mechanical" either. I couldn't figure out what it was, but it sounded more like a "fluttering sound". Cavatation actually makes a lot of sense! I believe it's caused by low oil level causing cavitation in pump, and radiating sound to the oil pan.

Kungfukendrixx

18Shadowblk_5_0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Are higher compression engines more prone to oil consumption? Because I do belive the GEN3 Coyote consumes a bit more oil than last Gen. So it is very important to make sure you keep your oil at 10 qts. I think that is when your "tick" will develop into a "slap" and begin to cause major engine damages.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
My 2011 F-150 5.0 has had the tick since day 1. 130,xxx miles later still running strong.

Just under 10K in the GT. Zero tick.

I like basing my opinion on personal experience.

Because you know everything you read on the internet is true.

Zero concerns about my 2 yotes.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Somehow, I don't believe this one bit. Sounds like Ford just doesn't want to spend money on block replacements.

Guess you can't really say its not normal unless these engines are truly breaking and warranty claims happen.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Somehow, I don't believe this one bit. Sounds like Ford just doesn't want to spend money on block replacements.

Guess you can't really say its not normal unless these engines are truly breaking and warranty claims happen.
The second line is right as many of the block replacements have the tick as well afterwards. Just because it ticks doesn't mean it is failing.

There is also a distinction between the tick and the 2k knock (piston slap) which many coyotes have one or both of. There have been some block replacements, but how many were actually needed - how many showed piston slap marking rather than true scoring ?

As somebody else pointed out there are a lot of 'facts' on the Coyote on the Internet but how many are true ?

I'm strongly of the view that you should formally register the tick or knock with Ford if and when it happens and then just get on and drive the car. If it subsequently breaks you have told Ford and the warranty should stand. I wouldn't be trying to insist on a new block for either problem if the engine is performing normally, the replacement will probably be no different. Ford clearly have had enough information by now on replacements to know what is causing the tick / knock even if they are not letting on.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I'm not so sure about oil levels. Plenty of us have had the tick without low oil levels or oil consumption. Perhaps it might make it worse but is not the reason.

Also, why does ceratec fix the issue?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Are higher compression engines more prone to oil consumption? Because I do belive the GEN3 Coyote consumes a bit more oil than last Gen. So it is very important to make sure you keep your oil at 10 qts. I think that is when your "tick" will develop into a "slap" and begin to cause major engine damages.
I haven't had any oil consumption issues. I have a separator that collects about 1/2 ounce per 1000 miles with some occasional hard driving. But it never gets to the low mark on the dipstick. At least is hasn't yet. I only have 11500 miles on the car.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm not so sure about oil levels. Plenty of us have had the tick without low oil levels or oil consumption. Perhaps it might make it worse but is not the reason.

Also, why does ceratec fix the issue?
Ceratec gets rid of oils ability to form air bubbles.
Sponsored