Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was going wot @ 100 miles on the clock. Changed oil @ 3100 miles PUP 5w20. Mild occasional tick started 2000 miles w/ no rattle. Burns zero oil now at 6000 miles. Motor is strong...
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was going wot @ 100 miles on the clock. Changed oil @ 3100 miles PUP 5w20. Mild occasional tick started 2000 miles w/ no rattle. Burns zero oil now at 6000 miles. Motor is strong...
I went WOT pulling off the dealer lot, took it to the drag strip at 200 miles, oil change at 1100 miles, and a road racing track day at 1300 miles. Currently at 13,000 miles, same mild ticking and rattling it had when I bought it, no oil being burned, no misfires, nothing at all wrong with the car

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
what that means to him is to break it in gently/per the manual up to the 1000 miles mark but then drive it good and hard after- he said that if the rings don't seat properly, these engines will burn oil. so running hard after the 1000 miles break-in, helps seats the rings....

i won't lie, i have grandma'ed it since new. Before 1000 miles, i never went past 4k rpms. maybe even 3500. I just started using sport mode at 1500 miles. Now that i have the new oil in there and everything documented and with the lead tech's blessing, i am going to send it. meaning drive in sport mode alot and just enjoy it on the daily. Can't wait to hit the higher rpms....

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What does that mean? No break-in at all just drive it like it has 5k on the clock? if so, is he the lead tech for the local bowling alley? I would say that once broken in, they should be driven hard....why else would you buy one?

As for me, I have about 500 miles on it and am driving it to break it in....engine, tranny, etc. Once I hit a grand I will start to ease into driving it like a Mustang should be. At 1200 or so, it will be on the track doing its best imitation (limited more so by me) of a race car!
Change the oil before you track it the first time

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Change the oil before you track it the first time
My rule of thumb is similar. Don't get within 1500rpm of redline on factory oil. Change out factory oil at the end of manuals breaking period.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I had a weird thing happen last week. I started the car after we finished eating breakfast out, and went to start the car. (so the engine was still pretty warm) Started it and noticed a tick for maybe 30 seconds. I start it often with the windows down so I would have noticed it before if the noise was there. In fact, my wife and I both noticed it at the same time, so it wasn't paranoia or imagination. The noise went away and never came back. Maybe oil circulation was interrupted somehow? I've listened for a tick from time to time in the past just to keep tabs, but that is the first time I've actually heard anything.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drove it around Sunday a bit and not a peep. I'm guessing there is something in the engine (on some of these cars at least) that loses oil pressure momentarily or doesn't pump up pressure right away, if that makes sense. A plain old mechanical issue should manifest itself in the same way each time the car is driven, if cycled through the same temps. I come from years of driving Hondas, and let me tell you, my Coyote is quiet in comparison. My Hondas rattle a good bit when cold, valve clearance. Even after a valve adjustment it's there.

I'm NOT saying all of the sounds are in people's heads (I've seen enough things posted here and elsewhere to indicate there has been damage in at least some cases), but I am saying that some rattles and ticks may be normal, or inside the spectrum of what is "normal".

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I am saying that some rattles and ticks may be normal, or inside the spectrum of what is "normal".
It’s pretty clear this is right or else we would be seeing more actual engine failures. Not necessarily the replacements that were happening early on, but full on failures. My major issue comes from years of knowing that knocks, rattles, and ticks are mechanical problems with an engine. Now the manufacturer, whose sole purpose is to make money, comes along and says “everything is fine, don’t worry about it”. Before Ford even came out and said it was normal people were getting the cold shoulder from dealers. I had to go to my dealer three times before they would even write the car up as being seen.

These are not inexpensive objects. I ordered my car knowing that it could make noise, but I rolled the dice. I also ordered it knowing that the warranty would cover it if my car developed any odd noises. If that TSB had been out before I ordered my car I wouldn’t have ordered it. Now I’m stuck with a knocking, rattling, ticking car.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Drove it around Sunday a bit and not a peep. I'm guessing there is something in the engine (on some of these cars at least) that loses oil pressure momentarily or doesn't pump up pressure right away, if that makes sense. A plain old mechanical issue should manifest itself in the same way each time the car is driven, if cycled through the same temps. I come from years of driving Hondas, and let me tell you, my Coyote is quiet in comparison. My Hondas rattle a good bit when cold, valve clearance. Even after a valve adjustment it's there.

I'm NOT saying all of the sounds are in people's heads (I've seen enough things posted here and elsewhere to indicate there has been damage in at least some cases), but I am saying that some rattles and ticks may be normal, or inside the spectrum of what is "normal".
before my short block was replaced due to tick, I remember the pattern - one engine start out of 5-7 mightve been tick free.

for as long as I kept engine running I couldn't reproduce the tick even at i door parking lots or other special places.

next time I started the car- the tick would be there and no way you could get rid of it.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
before my short block was replaced due to tick, I remember the pattern - one engine start out of 5-7 mightve been tick free.

for as long as I kept engine running I couldn't reproduce the tick even at i door parking lots or other special places.

next time I started the car- the tick would be there and no way you could get rid of it.
What was the final diagnosis from the dealer on your ticking engine?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
What was the final diagnosis from the dealer on your ticking engine?
They localized the tick to a particular cylinder by canceling cylinders one by one. Bot sure what the procedure is. After that got approval from ford for a replacement.

New block did not tick, then I added ceratec pretty soon.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They localized the tick to a particular cylinder by canceling cylinders one by one. Bot sure what the procedure is. After that got approval from ford for a replacement.

New block did not tick, then I added ceratec pretty soon.
Thanks.

Three questions:
Was it a failure of a bearing or what part, or did they tell you?
Was the tick persistent when it manifested, or did it appear for a while and quiet down?
Did it get worse over time?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Thanks.

Three questions:
Was the tick persistent when it manifested, or did it appear for a while and quiet down?
As far as #1 - did not get details. #2 the tick was very reproducible. #3 - it stayed at the same level.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

Three questions:
As far as #1 - did not get details. #2 the tick was very reproducible. #3 - it stayed at the same level.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me peppering you with questions.

Someone should compile data (using a survey) and drop it all into a spreadsheet, listing data like this and more. As many variables as might be relevant. Maybe this way, a trend might emerge with enough input from enough owners. Or possibly 2 or 3 different trends might show. It is difficult to remember data across multiple threads, with varying experiences.
Sponsored