PD Superchargers! Which one to get?

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello all! Hope you are all staying safe!

I've recently been looking into boosting my car. A 17 GT. Honestly, turbos and centrifugal superchargers didn't really catch my eye as I'm more of a low RPM driver. So, I've been looking into PD SCs.

I'm undecided between VMP Gen2R, VMP Gen3R, Edelbrock 2650, Whipple Gen4 or Gen5. I'm looking to make ~650 wheel horsepower with 93 and some room to grow later on when I have money to invest in a full fuel system.
I am planing on upgrading the oil pump gears, because it'll be a lot easier to do it when everything is taken apart, rather than doing it down the line and I don't want to risk the stock ones breaking on me.

I will be taking it to be installed in a shop. I will be getting a dyno tune.

Anyone have any experiences with these? What other mods should I consider doing?
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
First things first. WTF do you want to do with the car? Make it the fastest thing on the planet, cruise it till the wheels fall off, or beat it to death?

OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
First things first. WTF do you want to do with the car? Make it the fastest thing on the planet, cruise it till the wheels fall off, or beat it to death?
I want the car to have a bit more power than what it has now. I daily drive my car and love it! But sometimes I wish it had more power

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you want a TVS. Yes, the Whipple will make more at peak. You’ll get to enjoy that once you’re near the top of third gear, or about once in a blue moon on primarily street driven vehicle that isn’t using drag radials.
Although I’m using the Edelbrock 2650 kit, I’d be looking very closely at the latest offerings from VMP if I was in the market right now. Having said that, Whipple kits are fantastic quality. I don’t think anyone would argue against that point. They also seem to offer tunes that work for most people so that might also be worth adding to the list of things to be looking at.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
You cant go wrong with any of the newest gen PD's...all of them will deliver tire melting power. Enough power will not be an issue, enough tire will be.

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
TVS if a street car, you will notice the low end more on a daily driver street car. Any of the 2650's will do, VMP, Edlebrock, Harrop

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I went with the Whipple Stage II for my 2019. I'm actually taking a break from installing the Whipple and oil pump gears. I went with the Whipple because I don't want to get a custom tune and the Whipple has good driveability. The Roush has a very good canned tune, but there is a slight issue with it having a smaller intercooler. Roush has released a stage II and that has supposedly addressed the IAT issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Abletoxx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I went with the Whipple Stage II for my 2019. I'm actually taking a break from installing the Whipple and oil pump gears. I went with the Whipple because I don't want to get a custom tune and the Whipple has good driveability. The Roush has a very good canned tune, but there is a slight issue with it having a smaller intercooler. Roush has released a stage II and that has supposedly addressed the IAT issues.
Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm leaning towards the whipple gen4 or gen5 stage 2 or the VMP Gen3r. However, the block modification required for the VMP is a huuuge turn off. So, as of now, I'm looking into Whipple Gen 4 or Gen5 (whichever I find a better price). Honestly, Roush is over priced IMO. They're charging 7.1k USD for a stage 1 when I see whipple charging about the same BUT with a lot more headroom to grow, and more power out of the box.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
I’d recommend the gen5 whipple install was smooth as silk power is good canned tune drives fantastic, plus one day if you get bored of the power the blower will support pretty much any power level desired.

tyoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT ROUSH SC PP
If you only want 650 rear wheel, and more room to grow with a fuel system, save yourself the money and go with a Gen 2R.

Zeb8806

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zeb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium PP
Couldn’t be happier with my Whipple stage 2 gen 4. Believe me for a Street car it makes more then enough torque. My car will roast 305 45 18 drag radials in second gear at 40mph if they aren’t heated up.

The Whipple tune has been flawless, and I installed the kit and OPG myself in the garage. The fit/finish is top notch and the instructions are phenomenal. Honestly can’t say enough good things about the kit and would buy another in a heart beat.

FYI I’m 1200 miles in on my kit.
Sponsored