Sponsored

Pay for suspension install or buy tools and do it myself?

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've got my Steeda parts: sport linear springs, adj pro-action dampers, camber plates, shock mounts, stop the hop kit.

I've contacted several shops by email to give me a quote on the install, but no response. I'm frustrated by the lack of response.

Part of me wants to buy the tools and do it myself. I have friends that do some of their own work, that would probably be willing to assist, but no mustang friends.

If I was to go the tool route I would need to buy some new tools to my current meager collection. I'm thinking I would need: large and small torque wrench, socket set, low profile jack, jack stands, battery powered impact wrench.

I'm mechanically inclined, but I am by no means the guy who generally works on his own car. The youtube install videos look pretty straight forward.

How much trouble am I getting myself into?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
It isn't that bad to do on your own, but it does take some time and...force for certain parts. I'd also add BFH to your list if you don't have one, need it to get the front off iirc. And if you didn't get the special tool for use with the dampers, either order that or get some vice grips to hold down the shock as well.

Rent a spring compressor from your local AutoZone.

Make sure to torque everything to spec.

Paying a shop to do it would be around $500 or so. Don't forget about alignment either.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Time is your greatest foe. If you have nothing but time, and feel reasonably confident with your wrenching abilities, I would say do it yourself. If it's a daily driver you can't do without, a competent shop will probably do the job in one day. Bear in mind that any tools you buy will last a lifetime, and can be used for future wrenching. Savings can be put towards future mods. You may want to put some money towards Steeda jacking rails, as that will allow you to easily put the entire car up on the jack stands.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If you will use this as a gateway to further wrenching and general car maintenance, then I would suggest doing it yourself and acquire the tools necessary (with the exception of renting a spring compressor). If you're not interested in that, don't bother.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I think its a decently rewarding job to do yourself. If you haven’t and have a more experienced friend to hang around and advise, then go for it.

You’ll need a small 5lb sledge to knock the strut to spindle bolts out (second least favorite part of that job) , and if you get sockets, go ahead and get 1/2” drive deep sockets. You’ll want a couple of wrenches and an allen wrench drivers to deal with the endlink nuts/bolts too. Some offset wrenches from harbor freight work great for top nuts on the front shocks and to hold the forementioned rear swaybar nuts.

Again, dont get scared, but having a friend ot another car for quick runs to the tool store is a good idea.

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
We have guys in our local mustang club that do installs for other members all the time. They are cheaper than shops or Ford Dealers and can do it proficienty since they have probably done 50-100 cars....Check out your local clubs, make a friend, save some dough, and learn while you watch/assist....

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
We have guys in our local mustang club that do installs for other members all the time. They are cheaper than shops or Ford Dealers and can do it proficienty since they have probably done 50-100 cars....Check out your local clubs, make a friend, save some dough, and learn while you watch/assist....
What he said...or if no one in the club does that, they CERTAINLY will know a shop that will

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I just finished mine. Will need big wrenches and sockets, 18,22,24mm. I also have an electric impact wrench which helped a bunch. Rear was easier than I thought, front was somewhat of a pain. The rental spring compressors aren't worth crap. I used a jack to slowly lower the strut, then was able to compress the new spring enough by hand to have my son start the top nut.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have never used a spring compressor. They suck and are dangerous.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished mine. Will need big wrenches and sockets, 18,22,24mm. I also have an electric impact wrench which helped a bunch. Rear was easier than I thought, front was somewhat of a pain. The rental spring compressors aren't worth crap. I used a jack to slowly lower the strut, then was able to compress the new spring enough by hand to have my son start the top nut.
That's much less safe than using a rented spring compressor with safety pins. Can do vs should do...

Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
That's much less safe than using a rented spring compressor with safety pins. Can do vs should do...
There wasn’t enough clearance on the compressor to clear bottom cup so I did it my way. I tried two different compressors and maybe I didn’t do them right. The jack worked just fine and the spring was short enough for my 250lb self to compress the GT350R spring to get the strut nut started

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Jack works perfectly fine. Unbolt the 24mm bolts and rest the bottom of the steut on top of the control arm. Use a jack to jack up the spindle assembly and take off the top strut nut and slowly lower the jack. Safe and easy.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
If you are worried about the springs can always do most of it yourself and pay a shop for the front strut spring swap.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've done springs several times, on different cars, using one or the other of those methods. Either way you need to be careful and respect the amount of energy contained in a compressed spring.

I don't think I'd do the jack-under-the-control-arm method without also doing something to keep the spring captive in case anything slipped.

Norm

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback.

Let's say that I get it done in a shop, what tools will I need to properly remove a wheel and adjust the shocks and struts?

At some point I will also be getting different wheels as well, so I at least want to be able to do the basics.

Thanks,
Sponsored