Sponsored

Passenger side REAR 1/4 "rattle" - how to get peace

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, so many have posted on here that they have an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side rear. Some have posted that the rattle is coming from the rear interior plastic at the rear 1/4 window or C-pillar area.

On my 2016 - that was not the case. I could hear the rattle with everything turned off in the interior and it sounded like it was coming from the trunk. I then opened the trunk and started tapping on the rear trunk interior panels...

Bingo -the rattle was coming from directly behind the passenger side trunk liner. I tapped a few times more, confirmed it was the distinct rattle I heard from inside the vehicle.

The rear side panels in the trunk are held on by plastic buttons and magnets. After removing the passenger side trunk liner - on a very thin piece of sheet metal there is a module secured to it and also has 2 harnesses. The module is mounted to the sheet metal with (2) 8mm nuts. I tapped the sheet metal and watched it literally "wobble" and create the rattle noise. The rattle is caused by the fact that there is NO backing on the module - it's plastic to metal contact AND the sheet metal is super flimsy. It rattles because the weight of the loaded module supersedes the tensile strength of the metal.

So I removed the module, found some 1/4" foam backing, cut it to the size of the module and affixed it between the module and the sheet metal. I then made sure the module was secured properly AND that the (2) 8mm nuts were as tight as I could go (without breaking the mounting points).

Tapped it a few times - no more rattle!!

Why Ford does not put a foam or felt backing between the module and the sheet metal is beyond me - it prob only cost them .05 to do it.

Pic of area and module; culprit for the obscene rattle:
image.jpg
Sponsored

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you get a part number off of the module? Im interested in what it is

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Scott,

No, only because it was not a thought at the time, as I was trying to determine and alleviate the source of the rattle sound. The same module should be present in most S550's on the PASSENGER side behind the trunk.

Last edited:

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Scott,

No, only because it was not a thought at the time, as I was trying to determine and alleviate the source of the rattle sound. The same module should be present in most S550's on the driver side behind the trunk liner.
No worries, Thanks for the share though. The noise drives me crazy. When I go to fix mine after christmas is over Ill try to remember to post the part number of the module here

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
Thank you for the write up. I'm tracking down a mystery rattle and this may be it. I'm almost totally deaf in one ear so it's hard for me to pick up exactly where it's coming from. Is the perspective of your photo looking up from inside the trunk?

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Its the illumination module. We thought this part is what enabled MyColor on the base model Mustangs, and some users replaced their base module with one from a premium. It did not enable MyColor on the gauge cluster. It controls the ambient MyColor and other interior lighting.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
U said in your post it was passenger side truck,but when asked what part # u said should be found on m poo st s550 in the drivers side trunk.Just to make sure is it on the passenger side behind the trunk panel?Not being sarcastic.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
U said in your post it was passenger side truck,but when asked what part # u said should be found on m poo st s550 in the drivers side trunk.Just to make sure is it on the passenger side behind the trunk panel?Not being sarcastic.
Tommy (and others):
My mistake when I posted the reply - the area where the thin sheet metal and module is mounted is and will be on the PASSENGER side of the trunk, behind the liner.

I corrected my response above. Sorry for any confusion.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the write up. I'm tracking down a mystery rattle and this may be it. I'm almost totally deaf in one ear so it's hard for me to pick up exactly where it's coming from. Is the perspective of your photo looking up from inside the trunk?
Brando,

The perspective of the pic I originally posted is looking directly at the part once the passenger side trunk liner has been removed. It's visible as soon as the trunk liner has been removed, not hidden behind anything. I'll see if I can add a corrected pic, (this is the only forum where if a pic is uploaded from an iPhone it twists the original orientation), so that pic needs to be rotated 90* to the right so the module would be in a vertical position, instead of slanted like it looks.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the correct orientation of the picture (PASSENGER side; trunk liner removed):
IMG_5021.jpg

Sponsored

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its the illumination module. We thought this part is what enabled MyColor on the base model Mustangs, and some users replaced their base module with one from a premium. It did not enable MyColor on the gauge cluster. It controls the ambient MyColor and other interior lighting.
Did they enable MyColor with ForScan as well?

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I just went out to the car and I have the same module on my base 16 but only the lower black plug is used. Anyways, wow it is super easy to access. All I did was remove one black carpet plug thing magigg and pulled back the carpet to get too it. I took some of the leftover dynamat I had from my MGW shifter install and had it insulated in no time. took me maybe 10min tops to be done. Thanks Cobra Jet for posting this fix. I cant belive ford didnt add some insulation to the module. It rattles pretty good just tapping on it, I can only imagine how bad it is with exhaust freqs and stiffer springs/shocks. Ill test drive in the morning and report back

Scott Wilson

s550 is life
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just took the car out. Went down a road where I always hear the rear rattle and it's GONE thanks again cobra Jet

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
stoked to check this out.. I've had something that's been driving me crazy for the longest time!! it sounds like a rattle like something tapping.

SVOBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 301A A10, Steeda Stop The Hop, Minimum drop springs, Pro action shocks and struts, UPR Vertical Links, spherical bearings, Steeda Xpipe , VMP Odin 88 MM pulley, Lund Tuned
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so many have posted on here that they have an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side rear. Some have posted that the rattle is coming from the rear interior plastic at the rear 1/4 window or C-pillar area.

On my 2016 - that was not the case. I could hear the rattle with everything turned off in the interior and it sounded like it was coming from the trunk. I then opened the trunk and started tapping on the rear trunk interior panels...

Bingo -the rattle was coming from directly behind the passenger side trunk liner. I tapped a few times more, confirmed it was the distinct rattle I heard from inside the vehicle.

The rear side panels in the trunk are held on by plastic buttons and magnets. After removing the passenger side trunk liner - on a very thin piece of sheet metal there is a module secured to it and also has 2 harnesses. The module is mounted to the sheet metal with (2) 8mm nuts. I tapped the sheet metal and watched it literally "wobble" and create the rattle noise. The rattle is caused by the fact that there is NO backing on the module - it's plastic to metal contact AND the sheet metal is super flimsy. It rattles because the weight of the loaded module supersedes the tensile strength of the metal.

So I removed the module, found some 1/4" foam backing, cut it to the size of the module and affixed it between the module and the sheet metal. I then made sure the module was secured properly AND that the (2) 8mm nuts were as tight as I could go (without breaking the mounting points).

Tapped it a few times - no more rattle!!

Why Ford does not put a foam or felt backing between the module and the sheet metal is beyond me - it prob only cost them .05 to do it.

Pic of area and module; culprit for the obscene rattle:
Was It a rattle or hollow knocking sound?
Sponsored