Passenger seat creaking noise

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I took both front seat bolts loose and packed foam under them. Funny thing is when I pulled the seat back where the front mounting plates just went in the air with no contact to the floor, the sound couldn’t be replicated when I pushed on the plastic sides of the seat. Only when it touched the mounting point did it click when I pushed.
However, the sound didn’t go away after putting foam between mounting flange and floorboard. It was replicated by pushing the seat back. It just moved.
Then I found a plate near the back of the seat that had 3 connectors mounted with plastic tabs. That bracket had mount flange to the passenger inside rail. It would click when I moved the connector flange. Then I decided to pry on the inside rail and it clicks every time. No clicking pressing on the outside rail.

More to come. See video.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thanks, I've seen your post in another thread and wanted to give it a try. I have to find the tool to unscrew that bolt, do you remember what size Torx bit that you used to remove it? interesting thing is mine happens only when there's no pressure on the seat. If there's a passenger on the seat it doesn't do it.
T55 is the torx size.

I would at least check it out it’s pretty easy to do. Your clicking sound really does sound just like what I was hearing.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I took both front seat bolts loose and packed foam under them. Funny thing is when I pulled the seat back where the front mounting plates just went in the air with no contact to the floor, the sound couldn’t be replicated when I pushed on the plastic sides of the seat. Only when it touched the mounting point did it click when I pushed.
However, the sound didn’t go away after putting foam between mounting flange and floorboard. It was replicated by pushing the seat back. It just moved.
Then I found a plate near the back of the seat that had 3 connectors mounted with plastic tabs. That bracket had mount flange to the passenger inside rail. It would click when I moved the connector flange. Then I decided to pry on the inside rail and it clicks every time. No clicking pressing on the outside rail.

More to come. See video.

Do you think the rivit is loose?

Deleted member 35644

There's probably several possible sources of noise in these seats, but mine tapped constantly because it was in the full downward position. Not a peep if someone was sitting in it.

I raised it up just a touch and all the noise stopped.

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red

More to come. See video.

Thanks much for this video, appreciate it. I've finally pinpointed the source of noise to be the inside rail which is mounted to the main rail by a rivnut kind of bolt. I have no idea how to remove it or fix, i'm trying to wedge something underneath it but haven't been successful.

Last edited:

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks much for this video, appreciate it. I've finally pinpointed the source of noise to be the the inside rail which is mounted to the main rail by a rivnut kind of bolt. I have no idea how to remove it or fix, i'm trying to wedge something underneath it but haven't been successful.
Sometimes the issue with assemblies like this is simply the friction between the surfaces as they flex against each other. A drop of lubricant can sometimes fix this. Try a shot of Teflon spray or a drop of light machine oil at the edge of that metal tab where it meets the black rail. Don't apply too much that it will mess up your carpet.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
same sound here.. though in my car i belive this is the seat warmer/cooler.. i have not had the seat apart yet to check but i think its a wire/cable tapping on something.

when i press on the back of the seat (the square shape in the seat back, where the cooler/heater unit is) the sound will go away, when i dont press there, i get rattle, again then i press on the back of the seat where the heater/cooler unit is, sound stops..

edit: me driving down the street near the house, about 15mph.. the video depicts a typical drive to work, 15-20 min each way of this, constantly....
I'm in the similar boat. I think (at least for me) it is definitely the seatback leather/vinyl just above the seatback pocket - there's this plastic strap going across that rattles the vinyl/leather against it, making a weird clapping noise. When someone's in the seat, obviously there's pressure on it and it doesn't do that.

im not sure when i will be able to take the seat apart, might be a while..

i took a pic this morning of the seat back, where i press with the palm of my hand, and the noise will stop.. you may have to feel around a bit but once you place your hand here, you will feel the seat cooler/warmer unit underneath the perforated leather.

MVIMG_20200621_082433.jpg

EDIT:
a few pictures of the internals in the first post of this 110 page thread on seat coolers, https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cooled-seats-not-cooling.23384/
some of the pics in that thread are old, 2015-16 models, ford has done some changes since then.. we now have what is refereed to as the "sock design".. so if you see that mentioned, thats referring to our units

and some more info here: https://seatguru.wixsite.com/fordseatfix
im not sure if these "fixed parts" still fit our seat design or not. but im also looking at, while i have the seat covers off to fix the rattle, increasing the cooling/heating of the seat back. kind of a '2 birds with 1 stone' thing for me

i also had some more pics of the seat, with covers off, showing the components but i cant find that website any longer.. im sure it will pop up eventually
Where you're pointing in your picture is exactly where my rattle comes from.
If I drive alone, which is most of the time, rattle is there. I can actively replicate the sound even when stopped by tapping that part - the vinyl/leather hits that plastic strap/bracket and does the same sound.

There's probably several possible sources of noise in these seats, but mine tapped constantly because it was in the full downward position. Not a peep if someone was sitting in it.

I raised it up just a touch and all the noise stopped.
I am in the same position. When I drive alone (which is 90% of the time), on my daily commute in my Bullitt it does this. When wife comes with me and sits in that seat, it doesn't make any noise.

Overall I'm glad @Bikeman315 pointed me to this thread, it seems to address exactly what I was looking for (but couldn't search for properly).

I'm debating putting something big in the seatback to silence it, I never use the back seats. Or, cut a little slit in the vinyl an put some glue in there, but what a janky solution that would be...

Overall, I'm due to go to a dealer - driver's seat squeaks like crazy, so they ordered a bracket in November 2020. Still not here. But, I told them about the cooling also, they'll swap out the modules. I'm not 100% sure how much I want them digging around though, I wonder if they start tearing stuff up I'll be left with a different, more annoying, rattle....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The image of the seat back and the hand pointing - it may be the TED or harness to it which provides the cooling/heating to the upper seat back.

If you shake the upper portion of the seat and hear the noise, it’s related to the TED. The only correct way of fixing it would be to remove the upper upholstery and secure whatever is loose in there.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
If you stick a thickish book in that pocket it will stop your rattle. This is my solution because I just don’t feel like having the seat taken apart to fix it.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you stick a thickish book in that pocket it will stop your rattle. This is my solution because I just don’t feel like having the seat taken apart to fix it.
I'm leaving towards doing this. Rear sears virtually never get used (I think 1x in 12 months of ownership) and the rattle drives me nuts as I always drive alone. Tried to relatch the seat to no avail. And yeah, I guess I wanna avoid digging into things much.

Sponsored

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
My passenger seat makes a clicking noise only when someone is sitting in the seat. If you lean forward to take pressure off the back of seat it stops. I blew it off but not its bothering me and will have to be addressed.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My passenger seat makes a clicking noise only when someone is sitting in the seat. If you lean forward to take pressure off the back of seat it stops. I blew it off but not its bothering me and will have to be addressed.
That's the exact issue I had. It was the front bolts for the seat. I backed them out, put a little foam under, re-torqued them (35lb if I remember right) and it's been perfect ever since.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Sure, not even that fancy. I don't think it needed that anyway, I believe if I just re-did the bolts to spec the click would've gone away.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loosened bolts and retorqued. Noise is still there.

I tighten it more, I loosened it even removed bolts and its still there. Im starting to think its coming from under the sest.
Sponsored

Last edited: