Sponsored

Passenger rear wheel sticks out further than drivers side...WTF

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Installed my BMR SP080 springs last weekend. I followed all instructions on centering the cradle on install and all springs sit correctly in the cradle and control arm All bolts threaded in easy and I torqued them down to spec. this morning I noticed that my passenger side rear wheel sticks out further than the drivers rear. I'd say a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. Could this be a camber issue or something else? The car drives perfect with no noises or pulling.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
grabber yote

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Pictures for reference
IMG_20180621_074813-888x1084.jpg
IMG_20180621_074804-784x1174-313x469.jpg

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Well, you should get it aligned after doing springs. It most likely is because the camber isn't the same between the two wheels.

OP
OP
grabber yote

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Valid point. Now I need to find an alignment shop to do it. The Ford dealership won't touch aftermarket suspension

Well, you should get it aligned after doing springs. It most likely is because the camber isn't the same between the two wheels.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Valid point. Now I need to find an alignment shop to do it. The Ford dealership won't touch aftermarket suspension
That's probably a good thing. They'd do a shit alignment anyways.

Sponsored

OP
OP
grabber yote

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
That's the Plan,taking to a chassis shop to get it dialed in.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Either camber, or your cradle isn't quite centered. Could be either or both.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Subframe can be off center by around 1/4" if you don't use (Steeda or equiv) alignment spacers on the bolts. Some are like that from the factory, just a huge amount of slop in the design. Also camber may be out.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you have
1) a bubble level, plum bob, or even a mostly flat garage floor and a largish carpenter's square
and 2) a fine ruler or caliper

that's enough to estimate your camber at home.

get the carpenter's square or plum bob (or other vertical reference) next to the wheel, and then a measurement with a ruler or caliper from the top of the wheel rim to the vertical surface, and again at the top and bottom of the wheel rim. If you measure the diameter of the wheel at the rim, and the delta of the two ruler measurements, that's enough to get the angle using the arctangent of the delta of ruler measurements divided by the diameter of the wheel at the measurement.

Measure using the wheel, not the tire (the tire deforms at the bottom due to the load). If the car is on an uneven surface, the entire weight may be shifted to one side, throwing off the measurements, but it should be close enough to confirm if your camber is really wonky or if its likely the subframe.

Sponsored

Losobaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt w/PP
i had this same issue for awhile, i installed the irs alignment kit and i was GTG

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
Mine is the same way. Alignment was perfect. I thought it was my cradle until I got the dowls to center it. Something is off.

OP
OP
grabber yote

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
My alignment was spot on as well. Doubled checked my cradle as well and nothing was mis-aligned. Actually, with the mounting bolts hand tight there isn't enough wiggle room to throw off the cradle at all.
Mine is the same way. Alignment was perfect. I thought it was my cradle until I got the dowls to center it. Something is off.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
this did happen to me. my cradle was out of alignment after installing vogtland sport plus springs (1.5" front 1.3" rear drop)- the shop i took it for alignment got it centered and the wheels aligned. i also installed the steeda irs cradle bushings at the same time I did the springs and it was still out

Last edited:

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Reviving this thread from the dead. I got the basics installed on my 2018 GT a few months ago and it's def sticking out more on the passenger side rear. I'd say by at least 1/4 inch. Had a Mustang shop do the install and got it aligned. Didn't really notice it until after the alignment was done but I didn't look either. Car drives straight and has the Steeda sub frame alignment alignment kit installed but it's still off. Is it possible the shop forgot to install those or can it still be off center even though those are installed? the rest is BMR min drop springs and their lockout kit. Not a big deal now but if I got more aggressive wheels it would be a lot more noticeable
Sponsored