Sponsored

Passenger power seat issue

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I just tried to move my passenger seat forward to access the back seat and it wasn't responding. Up down works fine but forward and back does nothing. No noise, no grinding. It was working fine last I checked (which admittedly was a few months ago). Any ideas? Driver's side works fine. Last time I had a power seat motor go bad on a previous Mustang it was obvious because of the noise it was making. Thanks.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I just tried to move my passenger seat forward to access the back seat and it wasn't responding. Up down works fine but forward and back does nothing. No noise, no grinding. It was working fine last I checked (which admittedly was a few months ago). Any ideas? Driver's side works fine. Last time I had a power seat motor go bad on a previous Mustang it was obvious because of the noise it was making. Thanks.
Have you tried unseating and reseating the connector? Maybe something is stuck in the track? Likely the motor...

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Have you tried unseating and reseating the connector? Maybe something is stuck in the track? Likely the motor...
I had a look underneath to check whether anything looked loose, etc. There are so many connectors under there though that I have no clue which is the forward/reverse motor connector. Also, the seat is all the way back which greatly hinders my ability to check the back side of the seat. Anyone have a schematic?

Also, is there a way to move the seat forward on the track if the motor is unresponsive?

Very strange issue. Literally no response whatsoever from the button. No weird noise or anything. Up/down does work though. I assume the whole thing is on one fuse?

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I just realized that the forward/backward motion, as well as the thigh up/down portion doesn't work. The only function that works is lifting the rear of the seat up and down. Since those are separate motors, its unlikely they both failed at once. Is there a common wiring component between these two?

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the issue persists, this is the most recent SSM regarding the S550 electric seats:

F8A4412B-F1F5-4F23-8A81-3ADF0D95FA5B.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If the issue persists, this is the most recent SSM regarding the S550 electric seats:

F8A4412B-F1F5-4F23-8A81-3ADF0D95FA5B.jpeg
Okay thanks. At some point I will probably have to go to the dealership, although I dread the thought of that. Only thing that confuses me is that the tilt motor is also inoperative.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only other thing you can check is the harness connectors going into the module. There have been a few members on here who have found that the harness connector was shorted - but in most instances it affects the seat heating/cooling aspect.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ing-no-more-click-cant-find-the-relay.112533/

There is also this thread which discusses M6G owners finding the module is bad - but again is geared more towards the seat heating/cooling functions - but again, can’t be eliminated as a source of the issue since power has to go through the module:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/heated-cooled-seats-mystery.152156/

Aside from anything being on or near the seat track or motor operation causing “jamming” or a problem with the actual switch, an non-op motor can be traced back to harnesses, connectors, the module or just a plain failed motor.

Before dealer visit - check the above links; also give the harness connectors at the module, to seat motors and switches on seat a wiggle test to make sure nothing came loose.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The only other thing you can check is the harness connectors going into the module. There have been a few members on here who have found that the harness connector was shorted - but in most instances it affects the seat heating/cooling aspect.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ing-no-more-click-cant-find-the-relay.112533/

There is also this thread which discusses M6G owners finding the module is bad - but again is geared more towards the seat heating/cooling functions - but again, can’t be eliminated as a source of the issue since power has to go through the module:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/heated-cooled-seats-mystery.152156/

Aside from anything being on or near the seat track or motor operation causing “jamming” or a problem with the actual switch, an non-op motor can be traced back to harnesses, connectors, the module or just a plain failed motor.

Before dealer visit - check the above links; also give the harness connectors at the module, to seat motors and switches on seat a wiggle test to make sure nothing came loose.
Thanks man. I will have to take the seat out one of these days and see what I can figure out. I realized yesterday that my battery was quite low. I charge it every couple of weeks with my charger but recently the charger was telling me that the battery was full and wasn't charging it. But I was getting the "turning off power to save battery" message on my center screen and the car had a hard time cranking over. I drove it a bit to charge it. Seat issue still persists so it is probably unrelated.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thanks man. I will have to take the seat out one of these days and see what I can figure out. I realized yesterday that my battery was quite low. I charge it every couple of weeks with my charger but recently the charger was telling me that the battery was full and wasn't charging it. But I was getting the "turning off power to save battery" message on my center screen and the car had a hard time cranking over. I drove it a bit to charge it. Seat issue still persists so it is probably unrelated.
Just wanted to post again in case someone else has a similar issue in the future. I managed to "fix" the problem by pressing hard on the plastic trim on the side of the seat, posterior to the switch. When I do that the horizontal and tilt motors start working again. So it appears that there is some kind of connection or contact problem in that area.

The way I figured it out is my wife closed the door with the seatbelt buckle between the door and the seat. The door wouldn't close but would press the buckle into that plastic trim piece on the seat bottom. I randomly tried the switch right after that and it worked for one or two tries. Subsequently I tried pressing on the trim with my hand and it worked as well.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to post again in case someone else has a similar issue in the future. I managed to "fix" the problem by pressing hard on the plastic trim on the side of the seat, posterior to the switch. When I do that the horizontal and tilt motors start working again. So it appears that there is some kind of connection or contact problem in that area.

The way I figured it out is my wife closed the door with the seatbelt buckle between the door and the seat. The door wouldn't close but would press the buckle into that plastic trim piece on the seat bottom. I randomly tried the switch right after that and it worked for one or two tries. Subsequently I tried pressing on the trim with my hand and it worked as well.
It’s possible the connector from the harness to the backside of the switch assembly is not secure.

Is the car still under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, it should be fixed at no charge.

If there is no warranty coverage left; disconnect battery and unbolt the seat from the floor pan enough where you can tilt the seat to access the backside of that switch and connector. Give it a wiggle and push the connector into the back of the switch assembly as hard as you can. While you have seat loose, check all other harness connectors found under the best and make sure they are all firmly secured to their modules or switches. Bolt seat back down and reconnect battery to test.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It’s possible the connector from the harness to the backside of the switch assembly is not secure.

Is the car still under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper warranty? If so, it should be fixed at no charge.

If there is no warranty coverage left; disconnect battery and unbolt the seat from the floor pan enough where you can tilt the seat to access the backside of that switch and connector. Give it a wiggle and push the connector into the back of the switch assembly as hard as you can. While you have seat loose, check all other harness connectors found under the best and make sure they are all firmly secured to their modules or switches. Bolt seat back down and reconnect battery to test.
Yeah at some point I will have to look into this more. I have another year on the warranty but I hate taking my car into the dealership. I've learned the hard way on previous cars that it usually just causes more headaches.
Sponsored