Parking car on the grass over the winter months

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I'm wondering if parking my car on the grass when I store it over the winter will cause any issues.

The car will be covered from November until March here in NJ because of the shitty winter.

I'm wondering if it is going to lead to issues with rust developing. The little bit of research I did suggests that rust might develop on the underside of the car if it is parked on the grass for a long period of time when dew evaporates off of grass and condenses again on the underside of the car. This could be an issue since after a snow fall, the ground is going to stay moist/wet for days. Even though there wont be any snow under the car, the melting snow will probably find it's way to the patch of grass under the car one way or another.

Any of you guys have any real world experience?

I'm thinking about covering the grass with sheets of plywood before parking the car, would that help with the moisture transfer from the grass to the underside of the car.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm wondering if parking my car on the grass when I store it over the winter will cause any issues.
Yes, it will kill your grass.

Don't you have a garage you can keep it in?

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Anything to protect it from the moisture coming from below.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe you could look into renting a storage unit and sitting the car on jack stands for the winter.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Sheet ply wood is a good thought. I 'd add a moisture barrier. between the grass and ply wood. The wood will do the same thing the grass will do, just slower.

Would also put some of these tubs on the floor.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 9.59.31 PM.png

I expect others will have some ideas for you to chew on

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t park you car on the grass, moisture will invade your car. Rent a heated garage for 4 months. Your car will thank you!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Store it outside over the winter?? Sorry, I'm just not getting this.

OP
OP
Alain

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
Thank you for the quick responses fellers. I'm in a transition period of my life (after a divorce) so I'm currently a renter in a 2 family house.

We have a garage but I don't have access to it as a tenant. Landlord asked me how I felt about parking one of my cars on the grass this winter. I told him I was going to look into it and get back to him.

After doing some more research and looking over your answers, I'm not going to consider it. Cars will stay on the driveway this winter.

Renting a garage for the winter months is expensive around here, and the fact that I have 3 cars to store doesn't help my cause. I live 15 minutes from NYC so everything here is over priced !!!!!

I've had great success storing the cars in my driveway under good quality covers for the winter months since I bought my Hellcat in 2016. They get a full detail/polish every year right before I put the covers on them.

I hope to have my own house by this time next year.

Thanks again guys. I will go out and get some of that Damp Rid stuff and put it in the cars before I cover them.
Sponsored