Parking a GT350 outside house?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
i think a lot of this decision comes down to your personality and comfort level. if you are high strung, type A, and a constant worrier, dont get the shelby right now. if you are more laid back, you realize the risk involved and know the neighborhood well, you can make it work. i mean chances are you'll be fine...but not if you're constantly saying "what if..." and thinking about the car at 9pm while watching netflix.
Friend of my father in younger days finally managed to get a car. Father wondered why he kept going to look out the window all the time. "I have very good tires on the car." Type A?
Sponsored

dem00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Ruby Red
Buy the car, you won't regret it. Have good insurance and possibly be prepared to take a loss when you the sell the car from potential damage from street parking. If that doesn't scare you, then don't let the boomers on here scare you. Drive it, enjoy it, put on the miles.

Even if these cars are potentially worth something one day, it won't ever offset the memories you make from enjoying the car.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
If you are using something else for a daily driver a garage as mentioned above isn't bad, but at that point just park it on the street. I've seen people use storage units to store their vehicles, that could be an option.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Valid question, but is left wide open.

The biggest question is:
What is the crime rate in said area where the GT350 would be parked?

Sure, in some parts of the country people can park $50k, $60k+ vehicles on the street and have no worries at all. Then there’s other parts where that’s eye candy to the person with a big appetite and sticky fingers...

All it takes is a flat bed or a truck with a hidden wheel lift and kiss it goodbye. On the street in front of other houses and you say it can’t happen? It’s not if, it’s when. People today ignore alarm systems, other people hovering around on the street or “repos”...

You’re a light sleeper you say? That’s what they all say.... until they walk outside and “it’s GONE”...

I’m not implying you’re in a potential area of crime - just saying don’t ever second guess, it happens anywhere. Hell, wasn’t it like (7) of them that disappeared right off of one of Ford’s secure storage lots a few years back? LOL - it can happen anywhere...

GT350’s have desirable parts that others want...

If it were me - surely I’d buy the car that satisfies my desires, but I’d also be sure that:

1) The insurance policy is an Agreed Value Policy and nothing less, and that the value is clearly documented on the Policy Declaration page. This means IF something happens from a total loss perspective, you will be paid that Agreed Value and nothing less or more - not some jacked off “oh it’s Blue Book value, sorry”.

2) Tag it with some sort of GPS Tracker or LoJack. Read up on them, worth the $$$ especially if keeping the car long term and using it a lot. In some States, you can actually qualify for a max discount of 25% off your comprehensive - over time that’s a good annual savings for some folks.

3) Install a 2-channel camera system in the car and one that can operate while the car is off with motion detection and no drain on the battery. Good investment - others have posted why it’s a good investment in other threads on here.

4) If the car is on the street within site of the residence - install a video security system cam that points at the car and has good coverage of it. Not so much for theft, but in the event some idiot hits it, keys it, bounces a ball through the windshield - you know, all the “what if’s” that occur in life.

So hope you walk away with some good info and get whatever makes you happy.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Curious to hear if the posters who agreed to the "cart before the horse" argument would get a gt350 if they had no garage, BUT had an uncovered driveway.
I have no garage, and an uncovered driveway, and bought my car this past December. I only drove it for 2 weeks before I moved it into the back yard(on driveway) and covered it for the Winter. For those 2 weeks I was driving it, I would put it on the street if I was taking it out again that day, but I would not leave it in the street overnight(I leave my truck there normally). I just don't trust people/kids walking by, riding their bikes, and worse, people walking their dogs letting them pee on car's tires. :explode: And someone made mention of cats. They love to crawl up under the car, and find a safe and dry hideaway.
As it is, it pains me to watch it get buried with all the snow we've had lately. Nothing I can do about that, except put on PPF, and ceramic coat to protect the finish this Spring.

Sponsored

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Everybody's situation is different, you do you.

However, as the owner of a lowly '15 GT that hasn't spent one night outside on a street or even gotten remotely dirty, I personally wouldn't consider leaving a GT350 exposed to nature and the idiocy of others.
I have 17 GT and yes it's not a GT350 or GT500, but I've never considered it lowly. It's what I can comfortably afford. A bit off topic but my thoughts. On topic I would be worrying too much to park that type of car on the street. But the neighborhood plays a part in that also. Good or bad neighborhood.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hmmm ... when I bought my E39 M5, I didn't have a garage space for it. It was a mechanically strong, low-mileage example that had some existing body challenges (scraped bumpers, cracked front lip, dings all over), so I didn't really care much that it was street-parked. I still kept it clean and took care of it. When I was able to free up a garage space, I took it to a great body/ resto shop and they did a full PDR, repaired the bumpers, re-sprayed the front end, and did a killer detail. The car is 20 years old, looks brand new, and you'd never know it spent 2.5 years living on the street.

I'm in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Chicago. When I walk my dog, the stuff I see parked on the street includes Audi A7s, BMW 5-series, Range Rovers, Cayennes, etc. Just last night I saw a Porsche Taycan covered in snow. Lots of $70K+ cars on the street.

You only live once, and if you have the chance to grab a car you want, grab it.* If you know you'll have to street park it, factor that into your search and maybe look for an example that isn't cosmetically perfect. Then when some moron scrapes it - and they will - you won't be crying because it won't be the first scratch. The risk of major damage is low, and any parking type issues are easily fixed in the future. You might even save a few bucks buying a car that already has a scraped splitter or a door ding or whatever. Just be sure it's right mechanically.

*The limit to this is cars that are hard to replace. My lack of additional garage spaces has stopped me from buying some interesting vintage iron, but it's cruel to park rare stuff that rusts outside. The GT350 isn't rare enough to fit this category and there will plenty around for the next couple decades.

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The biggest worry you are going to have is someone coming by to steal your wheels.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replies. I'm tied to this house for another year. Don't want to have to wait a whole year to get a gt350. My neighbor is a car guy (has a c6 that he garages) and they have a long ass driveway. Have thought about asking him if I could park there in exchange for taking him on some joyrides. The other option is there is a public parking lot a couple blocks away but the problem is I wouldn't be able to see the car from my house, which I'm not too keen on.
*Neighbourhood dependant*

I think I would be considering striking up a deal with your neighbour and renting some drive space.

Don't abuse the space, use it for parking only i.e. no washing or maintenance etc - try to protect their privacy.

Consider a net based stand alone security camera (I got a netvue indoor camera to put in the loft when I thought we had something living up there and I was quite impressed). Consider leaving it with your neighbour as part of the deal when you / your car move out.

WD :like:

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Last week we witnessed a visitor to our neighbor back out and hit a parked car on the street in front of our house.

I wouldn't park my regular GT outside even once let alone on the street. I think you are asking for constant pain and disappointment as you find new blemishes on it thru your ownership. Hard no for me.

Nelsond003

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350. 1965 Shelby Cobra roadster
I also park my car in a garage at work, so monday through friday 7:30-5:30 its covered. I could leave it at the office if there's bad weather and metro back home.
same since I work in Springfield and only a few miles from the metro, lol

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
In all honesty, what do you feel comfortable with? So your already parking your current car on the street, do you feel this will be any different?

My self personally, I would try to steer away from long term parking on the street if possible. Short stints or visiting friends/family, would be one thing. You have to remember the car will be wider than your current car, I'm sure you've thought of that. My car has been parked outside. Seen rain and fair amount of dirt. I store it inside when possible (current project takes up the garage, so parked at my brothers house). I have parked on the street, short term, when visiting friends or going into the city, but like I said short term. I still had a little worry, but you could kill yourself worrying about everything if you wanted to....

If you dying to get a Gt350/R, just make sure you've got a plan together and get a good deal. Else, just save you money and wait for a better time. There are plenty of cars out there. Who knows, more people may move to GT500s and Mach 1s, leaving their GT350/Rs out for sale.

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
They jump on yours too
every once in a great while they will jump on the gt or the F150 both have resonator and muffler delete every once in a while if I see the cats near I hit them with a remote start. just like the ass hat across the street when he blast's his radio. I don't get it I am friends with all of my line of sight neighbors except him I said hello,Hi,whats up I would wave ect... and nothing. back when the blm thing jumped off me and a few buddy's were out in my driveway and he came out to his car put the top down and started yelling i'm black and i'm proud to the james brown song over and over. We all looked at him like he lost his dam mind. ever since then remote start

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I wouldn't, but if you have to have it I would buy an alarm system that alerts your phone(unless you really don't mind carrying another fob) in case anything happens.
Sponsored