Sponsored

Paint Protection Film Expectations

Ashton_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 2016 Fusion
Three weeks ago, I had the full front end and the black trunk panel of my 2021 Mustang wrapped in Xpel ppf. On the grill piece, there is a section that is not stuck down and now dirt is collecting under the film. There are also a couple other spots where there is dust or lint underneath the ppf on the grill. The main bubble is shown in the picture.
Grill ppf.jpg

I also noticed that there is a large bubble near the edge of the trunk panel and the area where the film wraps around the side of the panel near the tail lights has dust underneath and is not staying down very well.
Trunk ppf.jpg

This is my first experience with paint protection film so my questions is, is this normal or should I ask the installer to redo those panels?
To me, the two areas in the pictures do not look very good and make me think the film was not installed well. I just wouldn't want to make a big deal out of it if this is what I should have expected when getting ppf on my car.
Sponsored

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
It took my XPEL a week or so to smooth out. Looks great now. XPELed a pretty big rock off the nose. After about a week it healed over and can’t find it now.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I, too, had my entire car Xpeled. I have two or three parts (down near the bottom of the fenders) where the same thing is happening to me. I can't see them unless I bend down and look at the bottom of the car, so lucky for me.

I as well have the various bubbles around the car. A few are more noticeable than others. During a hot day I may pierce each one with a knife. I have tried a heat gun, and doesn't help, so I think that is my only option.

If I'm honest, I've applied PPF before in certain parts of the car and I am amazed that my installer only left these few ones. What a crazy skill to install that stuff... it is not easy, so I'm not complaining.

I was warned before, that I will see some PPF at the edges. It really is worth it, and you have to look really close to see.

Pat-Red-PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020 PP2 VMP Loki
Back up 10 feet And The Bubble desappear🤣,same thing for me ..after 3 week look good but The hood is not perfect ...I like The perfection but I think it's impossible in 2021...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If your application was warranted by the Installer, definitely take it back, because the peeling will only get worse over time. Plus it’s already collecting dirt/road debris under it, that’s not going to clear up by itself or even with a car wash.

Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Three weeks ago, I had the full front end and the black trunk panel of my 2021 Mustang wrapped in Xpel ppf. On the grill piece, there is a section that is not stuck down and now dirt is collecting under the film. There are also a couple other spots where there is dust or lint underneath the ppf on the grill. The main bubble is shown in the picture.
Grill ppf.jpg

I also noticed that there is a large bubble near the edge of the trunk panel and the area where the film wraps around the side of the panel near the tail lights has dust underneath and is not staying down very well.
Trunk ppf.jpg

This is my first experience with paint protection film so my questions is, is this normal or should I ask the installer to redo those panels?
To me, the two areas in the pictures do not look very good and make me think the film was not installed well. I just wouldn't want to make a big deal out of it if this is what I should have expected when getting ppf on my car.
I had a few issues like that when I had mine done. The installer told me to bring it back if I noticed anything and they went over the whole car and fixed even the smallest of bubbles. Its not uncommon for there to be a couple of issues but the end result should be 99.999% perfect. I would contact the installer and give them a chance to fix everything. If they dont, and I assume you used an Xpel authorized shop, I would contact Xpel.

bergdon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
No issues with my Xpel also. Looks like your installer didn't do a good job.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
If your application was warranted by the Installer, definitely take it back, because the peeling will only get worse over time. Plus it’s already collecting dirt/road debris under it, that’s not going to clear up by itself or even with a car wash.
Definitely. That will only get worse.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I as well have the various bubbles around the car. A few are more noticeable than others. During a hot day I may pierce each one with a knife. I have tried a heat gun, and doesn't help, so I think that is my only option.

If I'm honest, I've applied PPF before in certain parts of the car and I am amazed that my installer only left these few ones. What a crazy skill to install that stuff... it is not easy, so I'm not complaining.

I was warned before, that I will see some PPF at the edges. It really is worth it, and you have to look really close to see.
Don't use a knife. What professionals use I believe is a very thin hypodermic needle (thinnest you can find), entering the bubble at an angle. But I think they would only do that with a big bubble. A small bubble and you may make things worse than they are.

Sponsored

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Intresting I've wondered about such things.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have some experience with these issues.

First off, it is known that clear film does not stick down onto the gloss black plastic panels very well. It is almost like two charged dielectric materials repelling each other. So you should lower your expectations at those locations. When I learned this with my 2016 car, I just had them apply ceramic to these panels on my 2019 car (rear trunk fascia and taillights and front grilles). I am very careful and gentle when cleaning these areas and so far I don't have swirls from washing.

Second, it is not a good idea to try to get clear film to wrap around and underneath the fenders (and other areas) too much. That is a harsh environment there. If the film peels back it is sure to get moisture and dirt under the lifted edge and things will get worse.

If you wait too long (even just a day or two), the film cannot be made to stick down any further. This includes peel-backs and bubbles. Even so, go back to your installer and see what they can do. They have all the tricks and techniques. In some case they can do something with the current film. In other cases they may replace a piece completely.

95% perfect is Perfect Enough for me, and I believe it is unrealistic to expect any better.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Good post, Phillip. I tired of "the edges" on three current and previous vehicles so I skipped PPF this time and went with ceramic. However, for those who do have PPF with edges coming up, one of these can help..for awhile.

1624453513034.png

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Once it lifts it's done, the adhesive is contaminated. Talk to the installer, xpel warranty covers lifting.
Sponsored