paint polish vs paint sealant

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
im stupid in this area but what are the differences in polishing paint compared to sealing paint? is it the same just called different?
i see companies out there selling paint sealant and others selling polish.
ive always use meguiars paint polish and nothing else....works fine for me, but do not know if paint sealants are something totally different.
can anyone clarify this for me?
thanks,
Sponsored

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
polish is a paint correction. Which means in traditional terms it is an abrasive. Paint corrections are like cutters, compounds, polishes.
"Sealant" is just a wax, but synthetic. Where "wax" is generally marketed referring to carnauba wax. But some sealants have carnaubu, and some wax are synthetic so you can't really determine anymore by what manufacturer calls it. If you see sealant or wax, its the same thing essentially, each with their own benefits.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The basic premise is that polish shines up your paint by smoothing out imperfections in the clear coat. It doesn't add any protection. Wax/Sealant applies a layer of protection to help prevent damage to the paint.

Some products do a little bit of both.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Some of it is also whatever the manufacturer wants to call it. I use Zaino, and I'd call it a synthetic protecter/"wax", but they call it a polish. Zaino Z2 has no swirl removing properties, therefore I wouldn't classify it as a "polish" as they do since there is no cutting. Just one example.

willyms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I agree with ColdShotxx. There also products that can do both like the Optimum poliseal which promises to polish, correct and seal the paint.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SINBUSTER007

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
thanks for your input!
currently i use the meguiars polish #7 and tech wax 2.0 with DA polisher.
works good. i dont see any real reasons to change brands at this time...just wanted
to make sure i was doing similar what everyone else was doing.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
thanks for your input!
currently i use the meguiars polish #7 and tech wax 2.0 with DA polisher.
works good. i dont see any real reasons to change brands at this time...just wanted
to make sure i was doing similar what everyone else was doing.
So many great products available and you can really spend alot of money for the higher quality stuff. If you are happy with your results then no need to change. The best way to pick products is if you see a well detailed car asked the owner what they use.

Washing/detailing my cars is therapy for me. I got the next 4 days off and my wife will be out of town so both my Mustang & my 2014 SS Sedan are getting full details. That's a wash, clay bar,buff, seal, wax, detail. These are what I use:

foam cannon - Chemical Guys EQP300 MTM Professional Foam Cannon
soap - Meguiar's D11101 Shampoo Plus
buff - Meguiar's M2 Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner
sealant - Chemical Guys WAC_118_16 - JetSeal Sealant and Paint Protectant
wax - Chemical Guys WAC_300 - Pete's '53 Black Pearl Crystal Polymer White Carnuba Paste Wax
detail spray - Chemical Guys WAC808 Hybrid V7 !great stuff!
tire & trim detail - Chemical Guys TVD10716 V.R.P. Super Shine Dressing
interior - Chemical Guys SPI993 Nonsense Colorless and Odorless All Surface Cleaner - !!! This stuff is a must have !!!
glass - buff with Meguiar's M2 then use Rain-X
fabric guard - Chemical Guys SPI21016 Fabric Guard Interior Protector Shield
Sponsored