Paint overspray on my new Stang!

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Ticked off of course. While at work I noticed that the business next to where I park my mustang, was painting a boat. I didn’t think much about it until I washed my car this morning. I noticed white over spray on my windows and of course most of the car. I tried to clay bar a small area and most came off but... how much am I scratching the paint! My car is not the only car that is affected and we will talk the that business on Monday. Do any of you have experience safely removing overspray?
Sponsored

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
The same thing happened to me, however the over-spray was cause by me! Ooops.

Anyway, simply wash your car really well, and then clay bar the whole thing. As long as you wash your car well, you will not be scratching your car as all the contaminants (other than the paint over-spray) will have been removed.

As you are clay-barring the car, all the over-spray contamination will be captured by and into the clay bar. Once that is done, your car's paint will actually be cleaner and smoother than it was a few minutes before you parked your car that morning.

Just be reasonable with the boat shop owner. Tell him you want him to pay for the clay bar materials and for your time for YOU to make this right. If you leave it up to him to decide how best to proceed, then the process is less within your control.

This is an easy problem to fix, it will just take a couple hours of your time.

Lastly, I have to disagree with the member above. DO NOT use a buffer on your car! The paint over-spray can be completely removed by clay barring your car. The clay bar will remove all bonded contaminants from your paint; however a buffer will remove the contaminants AND some of the clear-coat. You do not want to remove any of the clear-coat. Using a buffer for this fix is simply over-kill.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
And when you are finished with the clay bar, It's the perfect time for a coat of wax.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Thank you guys for your help. I will wait to see if the culprits will own up to what they did and show them all of the overspray. I’d be happy if they would just reimburse me for the cost of the new clay bars and lube.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Get them to throw in a can of Collinite and some good microfiber towels. lol. Claying will remove any wax you have on that car also. Last weekend I clayed my Mustang. First time I ever clayed anything. Results are impressive. It's Magnetic Metallic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
Get them to throw in a can of Collinite and some good microfiber towels. lol. Claying will remove any wax you have on that car also. Last weekend I clayed my Mustang. First time I ever clayed anything. Results are impressive. It's Magnetic Metallic.
Great color! Yeah I have been claying for quite a few years. I am at the age( 65 ) that claying the whole car
Is a pain. ☺

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I've had great results with Meguirs #9 followed by clar bar and then a good Carnuba wax.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I'm 62 and that is why I'm getting a car lift. Having a little trouble deciding on two or four post.
I use the Pinnacle Souveran wax also. It is easier to do compared to Collinite 476 but it doesn't last as long and I sometimes like doing things the hard way.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
If you go thru all the trouble to wash and clay bar as long as there is no swirl marks might as well glaze it then seal the paint then a good coat of wax.

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I don't have swirls yet and I didn't let those maniacs at the dealership wash my car for delivery.

Sponsored

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
I had a 1990 Mercury Cougar in light tan color. Around here there's about four million bridges. They were painting one day and over sprayed a bunch of cars. The company had a warehouse rented and set up to fix the cars. Those who called about the paint got an appointment. They washed my car. Then the waxed it. Then they scraped the entire car with razor blades to get the bridge paint off. Another wash and wax job and it was done. They didn't put a scratch on that car. Believe me I looked, hard.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
If you go thru all the trouble to wash and clay bar as long as there is no swirl marks might as well glaze it then seal the paint then a good coat of wax.
I was thinking the same thing.

OP
OP

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I had a 1990 Mercury Cougar in light tan color. Around here there's about four million bridges. They were painting one day and over sprayed a bunch of cars. The company had a warehouse rented and set up to fix the cars. Those who called about the paint got an appointment. They washed my car. Then the waxed it. Then they scraped the entire car with razor blades to get the bridge paint off. Another wash and wax job and it was done. They didn't put a scratch on that car. Believe me I looked, hard.
Wow, they scraped the paint off?

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
Yep. Scaped that thick bridge paint overspray right off. It was one of the larger bridges. They had the tarps up but when we drove through we actually heard the paint hitting the car.
Sponsored