Sponsored

Pads for base GT to hold me over for single HPDE

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I'm doing an HPDE next weekend at NCM and was looking for cost effective pads for the event. I didn't want to splurge on Carbotechs or G-LOCs since I'm going to be upgrading to the PP Brembos shortly afterwards.

I'll be running in the novice group so I don't expect to see insane braking. Hawk HPS were looking alright even though they aren't really meant for track use. Any recommendations? The alternative is just to go on my stock pads, but I'd really like to go out on fresh pads. On a side note, is the dust from the Hawks corrosive? I can't find a straight answer on that.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm doing an HPDE next weekend at NCM and was looking for cost effective pads for the event. I didn't want to splurge on Carbotechs or G-LOCs since I'm going to be upgrading to the PP Brembos shortly afterwards.

I'll be running in the novice group so I don't expect to see insane braking. Hawk HPS were looking alright even though they aren't really meant for track use. Any recommendations? The alternative is just to go on my stock pads, but I'd really like to go out on fresh pads. On a side note, is the dust from the Hawks corrosive? I can't find a straight answer on that.
Powerstop Track day. They're cheap and will stop with authority, will have reasonable temp capabilities. Word of caution, get the brake dust off your wheels and paint ASAP after the track day. It ruins clear coat.

OP
OP

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Powerstop Track day. They're cheap and will stop with authority, will have reasonable temp capabilities. Word of caution, get the brake dust off your wheels and paint ASAP after the track day. It ruins clear coat.
Ruins clear coat as in it starts eating away things immediately? Or is it more like if you let it sit for weeks you'll start seeing the damage? It's a 2 day event and I'm really, really anal about paint.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ruins clear coat as in it starts eating away things immediately? Or is it more like if you let it sit for weeks you'll start seeing the damage? It's a 2 day event and I'm really, really anal about paint.
Don't let it sit for weeks. If you get it off after the event you should be ok. Put painters tape on your fender behind the tire for about 6-8 inches.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Agree with the Powerstops. Although I didn't have any issues with wheel nor paint finish

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the Powerstops. Although I didn't have any issues with wheel nor paint finish
I'm glad, but I'd say you're lucky. I'm not the only one to experience this.
Sponsored