Sponsored

Paddle shifting and burning rubber question?

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Hi folks. I have a 2017 GT convert with 3.55's and auto. Have had a few Mustangs over the years. I'm almost 60 and I am not sure how to use the paddle shifters and I can't seem to find the right info I'm looking for. When paddle shifting can you put the pedal to the floor, keep it there and then shift or do you need to let off the gas with each shift? Would or could this mess up the tranny?

Also, my car will not "lay rubber" in my terms when floored off the line. In the old days with a manual of course you could rev it up and dump the clutch, now with the auto and all the fancy controls I'm thinking things are different. Of course the car gets up and goes but I would have thought you would be able to turn the tires a bit.

There is no doubt this car is superior to the old ones in all ways and I must say that I love it. Just looking for info, not up on all the technology though.

Thanks....:):)
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You have traction control that kills the power. Shut it off and I do believe you'll be able to roast your rear tires. There's also brake torqueing if you'd need.

As far as the paddles, you have a standard automatic transmission. Leave your foot flat to the floor, it's not a manual.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
You might want to look into a Lund Tune FYI

Also if you have a premium trim, turn it on sport+ or track mode. Youll light them up. But yes the traction control sucks lol

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Put the transmission in S to use the paddle shifters; the computer will shift at annoying times in D.

If you floor it in say, 3rd gear, and try to downshift with the paddle at the same time, the computer will either downshift into 2nd and immediately hit whatever RPMs you should be at in 2nd based on your current speed and acceleration, OR it will refuse to downshift if you're already going too fast for that gear. Sometimes I downshift while flooring it onto the interstate and within the next second will be bouncing off the rev limiter in the lower gear because I was stupid and not paying attention. Just be aware or you'll feel dumb and lurch a few times before you react and upshift again or slow down. It's just like a manual in that regard.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
You can do burnouts easily just turn traction control off as mentioned already and it will spin no problem.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
No you don't need to lift off to shift. It's an automatic transmission.
To lay rubber in an auto you need to do something called brake stall. Basically press down the brake pedal and the floor the gas to get the back to spin. The S550 comes with a line lock function where you can lock the front brakes to do burnouts without destroying the rear brakes.

ColdShotxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT A10 300A Base
Yes, its an automatic and even with paddles its best to think of it as such. You're just making the suggestion to the car on when to shift... sometimes it won't agree.
You can still lay rubber by turning off TC, keeping in first, and modulate with the brake pedal as the old cars. Don't forget all GT's have the line lock -easy burnout function.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Just floor it in first and the tires will easily light up with TC off. No brakes needed unless you want to make some smoke.

What gears are in your rear?

OP
OP

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Thanks for the info. 3.55 in the rear and just a chirp in Sport + with Trac control off. I am still learning the new tech and more curious than anything. Line lock mode looks expensive...

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. 3.55 in the rear and just a chirp in Sport + with Trac control off. I am still learning the new tech and more curious than anything. Line lock mode looks expensive...
Your probably breaking the tires loose without noticing it. If you have the Pirelli P-zeros and your looking for some demon squeel from the tires you'll be disappointed. They are pretty much silent even when they break loose.

1-2 shift at WOT the rear will break loose and spin without a sound. Same thing with mashing the gas in 2nd after 3500 rpm. That's with a tune though. I haven't been stock for a while but I remember it feeling very neutered compared to post-tune.

Getting a tune in the auto with 3:55 is definitely a worthwhile upgrade for you. It totally wakes the car and transmission up and you'll be like damn why didn't the car come this way?

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I autocrossed my stock tune 2012 GT automatic for a season at events with high grip and straight line standing starts. Even with better than oem tires avoiding wheelspin was a major challenge assuming T/C and Advance Trac were off.

OP
OP

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Being that I am close to fixed income, I was thinking the Ford performance level two in that I should still have some warranty...

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I autocrossed my stock tune 2012 GT automatic for a season at events with high grip and straight line standing starts. Even with better than oem tires avoiding wheelspin was a major challenge assuming T/C and Advance Trac were off.
FYI "almost 60" is young . . . speaking from experience. :D

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Being that I am close to fixed income, I was thinking the Ford performance level two in that I should still have some warranty...
That will do it! You'll get the bottom end torque your looking for with the security of warranty.

GTDRPTP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible Premium
My understanding is the PP has to be dealer installed to keep warranty intact, any idea what dealer charges for an install?
Sponsored