ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I mean if it's a shop looking at it I would hope that's the first thing they check 🥴🥴🥴. I gave him a worst case scenario.
It's pretty simple let the tech take care of it!
In this case, right now, I'm my own tech...
If it truly come to worst, worst case a head gasket or even an engine swap is within my abilities.
Just hoping it doesn't get to that...

Or maybe I'll take advantage of one of those random phone calls offering to extend my expired warranty.
Sponsored

Fx2beast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford f150 2019 mustang gt
In this case, right now, I'm my own tech...
If it truly come to worst, worst case a head gasket or even an engine swap is within my abilities.
Just hoping it doesn't get to that...

Or maybe I'll take advantage of one of those random phone calls offering to extend my expired warranty.
Good luck with the issue bro

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What did the #3 spark plug look like when you pulled it - any images to share?

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I don't mean to scare you or say for sure its a head gasket. I just mention it because it was my recent experience, (in my case #2 misfire) and I went through all the usual suspects (new plugs, swap coils) and then wanted to rule out HG since its a known issue. I had trouble believing that it could be a blown HG with a leakdown loss <5% but in my case turned out to be true.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
What did the #3 spark plug look like when you pulled it - any images to share?
The car's is at the body shop for at least a week.
When I left it I've driven it about 80 miles with no CEL.
I'll pull and replace the plugs when I get it back just on general principle.

I don't mean to scare you or say for sure its a head gasket. I just mention it because it was my recent experience, (in my case #2 misfire) and I went through all the usual suspects (new plugs, swap coils) and then wanted to rule out HG since its a known issue. I had trouble believing that it could be a blown HG with a leakdown loss <5% but in my case turned out to be true.
I didn't take it as a scare tactic. I asked for help and that's something I have to consider. I don't have to like it and certainly hope it's not the case but it's a real possibility that can't, or at least shouldn't, be ignored.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
When is the last time you changed plugs? On turbo motors like this anything more than a 30K interval is asking for the plugs to self gap to absurd levels, lol.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
When is the last time you changed plugs? On turbo motors like this anything more than a 30K interval is asking for the plugs to self gap to absurd levels, lol.
Never. He has 76K miles on them.

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It's my first turbo car and the owners manual says 100k change interval.
But, yes, it has 76k and my intent is to change all 4 when I get it back from the body shop.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's my first turbo car and the owners manual says 100k change interval.
But, yes, it has 76k and my intent is to change all 4 when I get it back from the body shop.
I saw that, it's rather hard to believe. Every other turbo 4 banger I've owned specifies the same type of plug but with a 30K interval. Not sure what magical plugs Ford put in there that can go to 100k.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Oh well with 76k on the plugs holy hell yeah that’s prob it. I assumed they had been changed already. You know what they say about assumptions...

OP
OP
ORRadtech

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Update;
Got the car back on Wednesday. I've put about 150 miles on it since then which makes it close to 200 miles since the CEL went away. The CEL has not come back on. Other than swapping the #3 pack for the #2 the only thing I've done is run injector cleaner through it.
Today I changed the plugs, other than the larger gap they don't look that bad to me. #3 was not as tight as the others and its ceramic is noticeably cleaner. The engine seems to idle smoother. I haven't driven it yet. I cannot say if I've lost coolant but that clean ceramic is concerning to me. I've marked the coolant level and will monitor it.
So, what do you think?
20210904_110205.jpg
20210904_110231.jpg
20210904_110225.jpg

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
The wider gap could be be the culprit but like you said the whiter ceramic is something to keep investigating. Coolant could be washing it clean. Then again 0.040 is a really big gap so on plugs that old that could totally be it.
Sponsored

Last edited: