Oxford White GT500 pictures

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Earl: After I got my first warning for no front plate, I bought one of the aftermarket rigs that clamps on underneath and holds the plate away from the vehicle.

I didn't like the way it looked right off the bat so it lasted a few days and then I removed it. I put the whole rig in the trunk so I could show a cop that I have a bracket, I just couldn't figure out how to attach it. I'll try and look stupid which is pretty easy for me. :-)

That said, I agree with your wish for a good looking way to duit. Maybe the aftermarket will come through once again. At least we can hope. In the mean time, I'm gonna chance it without one on the new vehicle. :-)
KB,
I did the same thing on my 13, but I wanted to see where they decided to mount the bracket and see what was available aftermarket.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I was trying to avoid any air flow restrictions to any of the coolers.
Had the same consideration and decided that the restriction was minimal and during street driving wouldn't be a huge concern.

When it's most important, you'll have the plate off.

Also, if you work with it, you can raise the plate a bit.

Otherwise, ZL1 tow hook adapter is least obstructive I've seen (other than drilling holes in the bumper cover). Again, not sure that would work on a GT500 though.

Either way, sounds like a fun challenge to have--good luck.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Had the same consideration and decided that the restriction was minimal and during street driving wouldn't be a huge concern.

When it's most important, you'll have the plate off.

Also, if you work with it, you can raise the plate a bit.

Otherwise, ZL1 tow hook adapter is least obstructive I've seen (other than drilling holes in the bumper cover). Again, not sure that would work on a GT500 though.

Either way, sounds like a fun challenge to have--good luck.
On a 2020 GT500 there are at least 3 maybe 4 coolers that get their air from that lower opening and a license plate in the middle of that opening would block about 25-30% of the air flow.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I picked up a ZL1 add ons hook for a GT350 and was surprised at just how bad it was. Stevie Wonder did the welds and the engineering behind it was a bit out of whack. I looked at a couple of other solutions and then did my own on my GT350.

For me a tow hook isn't about foremost about installation convenience (but that's always nice) but rather the strength of the hook at the connection to the bumper and the placement for a clean pull. I pulled my bumper cover off and took a number of measurements to do a center hook. I welded up a bracket that would attach behind the bumper beam, spread the load at its interface, allow hook attachment/detachment at the leading edge while also serving to allow bolting on a license plate bracket when necessary.

zzz0604171932c_resized.jpg~original.jpg

zyy 0614172001_resized.jpg~original.jpg

I could leave the hook on and bolt the plate on or remove the hook, or both. Not very complicated. The cleanest, simplest solution for the 2020 GT500 will utilize the hook receiver.

zyy0616171855a-1_resized.jpg~original.jpg

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I picked up a ZL1 add ons hook for a GT350 and was surprised at just how bad it was. Stevie Wonder did the welds and the engineering behind it was a bit out of whack. I looked at a couple of other solutions and then did my own on my GT350.

For me a tow hook isn't about foremost about installation convenience (but that's always nice) but rather the strength of the hook at the connection to the bumper and the placement for a clean pull. I pulled my bumper cover off and took a number of measurements to do a center hook. I welded up a bracket that would attach behind the bumper beam, spread the load at its interface, allow hook attachment/detachment at the leading edge while also serving to allow bolting on a license plate bracket when necessary.

zzz0604171932c_resized.jpg~original.jpg

zyy 0614172001_resized.jpg~original.jpg

I could leave the hook on and bolt the plate on or remove the hook, or both. Not very complicated. The cleanest, simplest solution for the 2020 GT500 will utilize the hook receiver.

zyy0616171855a-1_resized.jpg~original.jpg
I think you will be fine if the hook reciever plate mount kit, lets the plate sit high, vs centered. Top of plate just below bottomw of headlight. doesnt seem to have any flow restrictions

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not arguing that point with the GT500 as I said it'll be the simplest and cleanest. From a pull prespective, it would be optimum to be centered but the anchor point the factory provides is far better than a cantilevered bracket such as those from ZL1 AO.

Something along these lines...

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm not arguing that point with the GT500 as I said it'll be the simplest and cleanest. From a pull prespective, it would be optimum to be centered but the anchor point the factory provides is far better than a cantilevered bracket such as those from ZL1 AO.

Something along these lines...
Awesome. With a "European-style" tow hook, you have lots of aftermarket options for mounting a plate that won't interfere with airflow.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. Not the most beautiful aesthetically but they satisfy the legal requirement and allow for rapid detachment/attachment.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

OP
OP