Sponsored

Over 500bhp at the crank NA - Real?

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG
Hi guys, I've searched the forum but can't really see the answer to my question so I've started a new post.

When I finally get my hands on a 2015 mustang gt my goals are 500bhp NA.

I know ford racing have managed this on a s197 Boss 302 using the cobrajet intake, cams, exhaust, tune etc

But I've seen quite a few owners (and some mustang tuners) claiming 500bhp+ at the crank of S550's on little more than an intake, exhaust and a tune.

Can these claims be serious? Can we really get almost another 100bhp from these basic upgrades?

Ideally, for warranty purposes I'd like to stick to Ford Racing parts only if I can help it and with a CatBack Ford Racing Sports exhaust keep my catalytic converters. But I could probably get away with a JLT intake. Does anyone know if this would see me reach 500 at the crank with a Procal tune?

Thanks guys :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
CAI, Full exhaust and tune i've seen on the forums anywhere from 440 whp to 460whp. With 15% drivetrain loss, that equates to about 518bhp to 541bhp. But from what i've seen with the manual transmissions the drivetrain loss seems to be more about 13% which brings the bhp down to 506 to 529. Either way with whatever drivetrain calculation you use, with these bolt-ons, it's over 500+ bhp.

With the mods you listed, you might get to the 500bhp using the 15% calculation. All you need to reach 500bhp is 425whp.

with all that being said, trying to talk bhp on a modded car is pretty much pointless. You never really know what your engine is making. If my car really only makes 435bhp then my drivetrain loss is only about 11% lol. Then again I don't know what temperatures Ford tests these engines at to get their hp rating. When I dyno'd my car it could have easily been colder than when they were tested at the factory.

As for warranty concerns, you can perform those mods, but you may risk getting a hassle when trying to get warranty claims performed. Personally I won't tune my car until I'm good and ready to take the risk of not having a warranty.

OP
OP
Leeky

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes-Benz ML55 AMG
Thanks for the info DivineStrike.

I guess a lot of these 500+ cars may have other mods thats arent declared or have been like you said with a cool temperature/overly happy dyno.

So it looks like i should be able to get near if not past where i want to be.

Thanks! :ford:

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
On the 2011 I picked up 70rwhp/45tq with headers, CAI, and tune. You will have no trouble getting there. I will say if your not tracking the car buy a supercharger if you can swing a few more thousand.

Sponsored

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
It will take more than that.
Deleting a cat from a camry will get you 10HP but as the engine get bigger and flows a ton more air out and in at higher rpms the cat being removed will gain 50+ sometimes even more. Example is Nascar, yeah engines are built different but their exhaust system is where the gain a lot of their HP, 850HP @5.8 liter compared to a 455 HP from a EPA regulated bigger engine 6.2 liter, this is my .02

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
500 crank is completely doable with tune, cai and Lt's. youd hit that easier with catless though. People have hit 435-450rwhp with those mods alone. People are generally putting down 370rwhp. With a 15% drivetrain loss, youd have over 500 crank give or take based on the dyno.

Sponsored

dabears2322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe
You wont gain 50 from a cat delete on these 5.0's. It's been proven that the delete vs a high flow cat was less than a 5 hp difference I believe. I don't want to start an argument but wanted to let the op know. Now maybe if you supercharge it a cat delete will net you more power, but NA I don't think it's too big of a difference

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
You wont gain 50 from a cat delete on these 5.0's. It's been proven that the delete vs a high flow cat was less than a 5 hp difference I believe. I don't want to start an argument but wanted to let the op know. Now maybe if you supercharge it a cat delete will net you more power, but NA I don't think it's too big of a difference
At a certain power level that cat will be more then a 5hp difference. For basic bolt on N/a people, sure it wont matter much.

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
supercharging is a great cheaper alternative honestly, but headers, cam, cat deletes , high flow CAI and straigh exhaust will be hella faster and dyno over 500HP easily, I mean at the wheels, but this is illegal, and the $5,000 fine illegal but at the track this car would run, 10's NA, also i didnt realize some 2015's were stock less than 380, so many variables around the damn dyno i almost dont consider the information

dabears2322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe
supercharging is a great cheaper alternative honestly, but headers, cam, cat deletes , high flow CAI and straigh exhaust will be hella faster and dyno over 500HP easily, I mean at the wheels, but this is illegal, and the $5,000 fine illegal but at the track this car would run, 10's NA, also i didnt realize some 2015's were stock less than 380, so many variables around the damn dyno i almost dont consider the information
Exactly if you want to keep it street legal this wouldn't be the route to go, but I agree that you could hit over 500 NA going all out. I remember awhile back on here that a company built one up and hit 580 NA. That might have been at the crank, but don't completely remember. So it can be done
Sponsored