Sponsored

Our 2015 Mustang Preview Derived From CAD Designs

KZStang

Excellent skill you exhibit, chazcron. Thanks as always for sharing your work.

I think people need to keep in mind this, which is very well put:

It's nice, clean, not gaudy. base Mustangs have never had a particularly aggressive look, I expect that will be reserved for the higher performance models
Many have it in their heads that the S550 base model should look like the GT-trim last model year of the S197. That's not how it works. Every single new redesign has been more of a clean canvas design that matures with the planned refresh roadmap. This will be no different and I agree with others that this is a great starting point.
Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Nice work, and since it's CAD-based it's accurate. All the lines and proportions are what we've seen in the prototypes running around. Exact same overall form as a tail-shortened S197, as expected, with the same hard points. Better stance, thanks to the IRS (no more ass-end-up like my '13 Boss).
I think the grill needs some minor work... I see it as deeper-inset on the prototypes. And I think the side-rear glass might be a bit off - it implies a bigger sight-line thru it than it likely has. Good job on the transition between the front door glass and the rear side door glass (it exactly follows the prototypes) - the overall effect is to make the interior seem bigger and airier, even though the beltline is higher and the seating position will appear in effect more sunken.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Although I don't love this the same way I do an Aventador or C7 Corvette regarding the exterior design, I'll still be buying one because it's the fastest car I can justifiably afford, even if the GT trim looks like this. Function over fashion for me :headbang:

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
BTW Nice Work Chaz, but correct me if Im wrong, these Cad Files you used to create these images were Cad Files You Created using Spy Photo's and insider information, not Official Cad files like the Leaked Cad Files we got of the 2005's right?

Right.

I think there is some mix up here and the description doesn't help.
Next thing you know the whole internet thinks these are based on actually CAD files like the C7.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
No it not's strictly cad-based. Inaccurate wording on my part. But it is based on something better than a thumb up in the air. It's a nice piece of work, and very accurate.

I'm just following JarStang's original wording here. There are different levels and types of CAD/CAM drawings, and the ones used here could have been used for any number of purposes such as patenting the design. Looking at very very close details and comparing them against the actual pictures I believe JarStang that this is where this came from.

Whatever it is, it is very very accurate, most especially the overall shapes, angles, proportions, leading and trailing angles, etc. All of which exactly reflect what we have seen in the prototypes (a misleading word, since their bodies were all built to final specifications even if some parts were temporarily rendered in plastic and fiberglass). It's far too late in the process to change anything except minor plastics.

So, within a few percentages here and there, this is it. Welcome to the next step, from a styling aspect as much above the 2014 as the 2010 was above the 2005.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
I've never felt strongly about the base models but this is not a bad start.

One thing that I'm really loving is that roofline. The shortened rear deck looks very nice and I love how the roof flows into it.

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Its 3d extrapolation of spy pics. Yes, very nice work and probably the most accurate we've seen, but still based off very limited data and modeling curves "projected" on to the viewing plane based off the different angles of the car shown in spy pics.

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
OK, I think we need to get a few things straight here.
As far as I know:

-I'm pretty sure these are not based off any official CAD files. The description is poorly written. Chaz used the spy photo's to extrapolate and construct a 3D model in Animation Master. This isn't Solidworks, Catia, AutoCAD etc…. its basic 3d modeling software.
I am not devaluing Chaz's work.... it is very impressive., but he also has also had very little to go on. I have done a fair bit of 3D myself in Solidworks, maya, modo and many other older packages on a professional level years ago. I would love to see what Chaz could do with MODO and I'd love to help if I had more time.

-While this may be the "best" render yet, its still an extrapolation.
The b-pillar and 1/4 window may be getting close, but the greenhouse and rear end is still all conjecture.

-We have definitely seen prototypes in different stages of design.

-as chaz said, when using his methods of extrapolation it is easy for one tiny detail to throw everything off.

That said, while this is a lot of fun and gives us a idea of what the car looks like, I expect the real thing to look significantly different. It is great to have a 3D model that can be manipulated instead of a 2d photoshop, but this is NOT another case of a highly accurate render based on leaked CAD files like the C7.

Anyway, good work :thumbsup:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the wording was confusing. So this is in fact NOT based on official Ford CAD files? I take this is just a more finalized version of the excellent renders chaz has been doing based on spy pics.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Real car is more svelte. Lower, slender and elegant. This has a "built on a S197" vibe to it. Nice job though. Ford may see this and counteract.
We can only hope they do counteract! Let's see the real thing if it's better!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The post is accurate and was written as it was intended.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Picture says it all!