Sponsored

Our 2015 Mustang Preview Derived From CAD Designs

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Just a suggestion. There are two crease lines along the side of the car, one at the door handle height and one near the bottom. Connect them. Connect the two just between the door and the rear wheel. Note the red Mustang that Rampant has posted above. That connecting crease is a common theme in the Mustang body design over the years.
Uh oh, I think maybe that idea might be getting too close to home. lol
I would suggest that the problem might be the vent behind the front wheel in the HIPO cars. One wouldn't want a real vent behind one wheel, and a faux vent or hockey stick in front of the other.
Sponsored

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Great catch. Modifying now. I started with those very curves and haven't gone back to them in a long while. Once I am done, look to my thread, I'm posting a render with the ole GT500 grille.

Thanks, CJ!

Trekker-1701

Threads
Reaction score
From one crotchety old guy to another, let me offer you this walk through history.

These are all of the 'main' Mustang designs.
2015-mustang-3.jpg

2015-mustang-4.jpg

2015-mustang-5.jpg

Please don't hate me II and Fox fans.
2015-mustang-6.jpg

2015-mustang-7.jpg

2015-mustang-8.jpg

2015-mustang-9.jpg

Which ones would you say look more distinctive as a Mustang and more daring than this one?
2015-mustang-10.jpg

Maybe the first one?

I would suggest that there is only one that would be a candidate for a major car design award for any car, pony car or otherwise.
It is interesting to note that the Mustang has had the C or upturned hockey stick as a design element for 30 years of its 50 year run. It was of course absent during the Fox body years of '79-'93, as well as from '69-'73. Every other model year has had it. For me personally it is one of the key design elements that just says "Mustang". In my opinion, the styling of the 2015 just falls a little flat without it. For this reason, I hope it is included in some form in the real design.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I figured it out! You are missing the bevel around the grille. The creases on your model are too sharp. See?
attachment.jpg
I wasn't going to mention it, but since you brought it up... :D
I noticed this detail myself. It also adds a beveled edge to the top of the bumper in profile views.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is interesting to note that the Mustang has had the C or upturned hockey stick as a design element for 30 years of its 50 year run. It was of course absent during the Fox body years of '79-'93, as well as from '69-'73. Every other model year has had it. For me personally it is one of the key design elements that just says "Mustang". In my opinion, the styling of the 2015 just falls a little flat without it. For this reason, I hope it is included in some form in the real design.
Just Remember, as already posted, the HiPo is going to have a functional vent behind the front wheel... so you might get your wish, only in reverse. There may actually be a "C" scoop on the drivers side of the Mustang for the First Time...

Sponsored

Trekker-1701

Threads
Reaction score
Just Remember, as already posted, the HiPo is going to have a functional vent behind the front wheel... so you might get your wish, only in reverse. There may actually be a "C" scoop on the drivers side of the Mustang for the First Time...
I'll wait for the real design to be revealed before forming my final opinion of course, but I'm just not sure I would be too happy with that, aesthetic wise anyway . It just doesn't say "Mustang" to me.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
Especially not with that chop's awkward previous gen hip swoop.
Yeah, but a pronounced hip is a very strong Mustang styling cue harking back to the first couple of generations and probably why they added it to the '05 design. It was also one of my favorite parts of the current model.

Without that strong character line, it runs the risk of being bland and generic -- which is probably where the comparisons to other vehicles are coming from (warranted or not).

That is not a knock on your model/render -- Lord knows it is amazing and probably the most accurate representation of the real thing. It is just we all want to design our own cars and have our own opinions about what it should look like. And those of us who can push pixels around easily are never shy about showing our own thoughts.

Either way, from the looks of the profile (just about perfect IMHO) and general direction of the front/rear, this will undoubtedly be a stunning car and I can't wait to be able to get one.

Besides, every single new generation, there is a ton of "I hate it -- it isn't a Mustang, I am going hurry up and buy one now before Ford ruins the car" talk. I remember it from the SN95, the New Edge cars, the S197 -- it's always the same when a new car gets released. The fact there is comparatively so much positive reaction shows just how great this car will be.

Trekker-1701

Threads
Reaction score
Yeah, but a pronounced hip is a very strong Mustang styling cue harking back to the first couple of generations and probably why they added it to the '05 design. It was also one of my favorite parts of the current model. (SNIP!)
Among all of the Mustangs ever produced, the '70 model is one of my favorite designs, and it also has a very prominent hip or muscular hump in front of the rear wheel. It is also the only year without a C scoop or upturned hockey stick that I really like the design of. I have to agree with you though that it is one of my favorite design elements of the current model.

Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Which is fine with me, 69 is my favorite year, I like the faux vents in the rear quarter.

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
Chaz did a great job with the rendering. From everything we have seen so far this design is probably very close to what the S550 will be for 2015. Personally, I think it definitely looks like a Mustang, but it also looks dated to me, comparing it to what other automobile manufacturers are building today. I think this would have looked great ten years ago, but Ford could have done much better IMHO. I do not think this is what most Mustang enthusiasts were expecting a year ago.

Ford, early on, declared that the next gen would not be retro, but that rear looks to much like '65 and '05. If this is what we get, I personally will be underwhelmed. Let's hope the refresh, maybe in 2017, is going to be more exciting.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
It is interesting to note that the Mustang has had the C or upturned hockey stick as a design element for 30 years of its 50 year run...
.... For me personally it is one of the key design elements that just says "Mustang". In my opinion, the styling of the 2015 just falls a little flat without it. For this reason, I hope it is included in some form in the real design.
Another element that has been a part of Mustang's history is brakes that go away before the competition's. The real vent behind the front wheels on the HiPo cars says to me that Ford intends to do something about this and I am thrilled to see that.

If that means giving up a faux vent, I'm all for it.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another element that has been a part of Mustang's history is brakes that go away before the competition's. The real vent behind the front wheels on the HiPo cars says to me that Ford intends to do something about this and I am thrilled to see that.C
If that means giving up a faux vent, I'm all for it.
I don't unerstand why people conclude thst a vent behind the front wheel is associated with a car's braking. Vents mounted behind the wheels are there to reduce Under Hood Air Pressure and Extract Heat from the Engine Bay. They have nothing to do with Brake Cooling. Brake Cooling Ducts for the front wheels are typically mounted in the outboard corners of lower front valance, where the Fog Lights are being mounted on the 2015 Mustang. Typically a Duct is routed from that opening to the inboard side of the wheel where the Cooler Air is Forced Through the Wheel, Across the Brakes and is then Exits through the Open Spokes of the Wheel. This is also where the Mustang's "C Scoop/Hockey Stick" and the Upper Quarter Panel Scoop on the 69 Fastback came from. It was designed to Emulate Rear Brake Ducts seen on European Sports Cars which used the same principal. Sadly they were all just for styling purposes on the Mustang.

bmxbaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Proportions are going to make or brake this car. I think we all know what the basic design is by now. Depending which way the lines are pushed, few inches or even millimeters one way or another will make the difference between this car being great design or giant flop. I hope we will find out next week.

The new Corvette design is shaping up to be giant success for Chevy and we all know how well the current Camaro design is doing. Ford really needs to get the proportions right if they want stand any chance of staying market leaders. I really hope there's stunner behind the rest of that camo because the design looks pretty bland as it's being depicted. If the proportions are little more exaggerated it might look quite nice though. We'll see...
Sponsored