Sponsored

other hobbies/passions other than the mustang?

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Not much to see yet. I don't have a hell of a lot of room, so I built a table 12 x 6 at one end, tapering to 12 x 4. It's on casters, so I can push away from the wall to use it. I'm laying and routing 1/2" MDF now. Layout of design shown, too. It will have 3 lanes. The 1/32 cars available now are amazing!

slottrack1.jpg

trackdesign8.jpg
Are you routing those slots with a portable hand-held router? (not CNC)
Very nice regardless.
Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Are you routing those slots with a portable hand-held router? (not CNC)
Very nice regardless.
Just a hand router with a 1/8" carbide bit. It's easy to slip when you are doing it freehand. But a little bondo removes a lot of mistakes. I was thinking of trying digital cross-over track sections in my hand routed track. I even bought a couple to see if I could get them to fit. Maybe later.

I'm also into slot cars, but 1/24 scale. Ours are mostly hand built with a few bought ready-to-run. We bought a commercial track and were getting together every week, but since Covid we're just modifying or doing maintenance on them.

http://slotblog.net/topic/62798-doghouse-raceway-gilbert-sc/
I used to do 1/24, but I don't have the space. I remember making the frames from brass tubing and using lead weights.

Check this track out that sold on BAT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/slot-car-race-track/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I use a RockEater drywall saw to clean up my slots after I route them. Otherwise, they look like they were done by a drunken sailor. Rockeater just happens to have a 1/8" wide blade with very sharp carbide teeth.
That's good advice.
I had been wondering how you got the slots crisp and clean with a hand router....

gorgin4325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Logo makes excellent helis. I flew RC helis for a number of years but mostly 500 or smaller and mostly scale. I never had the skill to try 3D. I had to quit because of extreme vertigo... I can't look up at something moving.
That's awesome! If you ever decide to get back into it, let me know! I'll offer forum members a discount code!

Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Just a hand router with a 1/8" carbide bit. It's easy to slip when you are doing it freehand. But a little bondo removes a lot of mistakes. I was thinking of trying digital cross-over track sections in my hand routed track. I even bought a couple to see if I could get them to fit. Maybe later.

I used to do 1/24, but I don't have the space. I remember making the frames from brass tubing and using lead weights.

Check this track out that sold on BAT:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/slot-car-race-track/
Wow, just a beautiful track. But it reminds me of a model train track, very detailed but no derails, or de-sloting. Kind of like a Sunday drive through the countryside. Our group is into actually racing our slot cars. We'll run 300-500 lap races and we have MANY de-slotings due to the speeds. Our track is plain but it makes it much easier to get the cars back on the track or in the slot. All that beautiful scenery would be ruined in just one of our races! We may not be good -- but we are fast! But that is one beautiful track!

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is having sex with women for money a hobby?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
That's awesome! If you ever decide to get back into it, let me know! I'll offer forum members a discount code!
Unfortunately, my flying days are over, between the vertigo and age (77). I can fly a small quad if I keep it below eye level and not too far away. I certainly wouldn't try that with a Logo.

The Logo team did 3D demos at some of the local RC air shows. Just the sound of the blades of those 700s doing stunts was amazing! I got started too late in life (65) to acquire the skills needed to fly like that. But, I certainly enjoy watching.

My favorite heli of all time was the Blade 150X Red Bull stunt heli. It had a 4 blade counter-rotating prop and the tail blade was on the other side. It was a collective pitch micro with a scale body that was very different and tricky to fly.
Sponsored