Sponsored

OSRAM LEDriving DRL + Fog light review.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Here's another solution to the ugly DRL and fog that Ford hindered us with outside the NA & ME markets....

The units are from Osram, and are called the LEDriving 101.

+ Direct replacement complete unit
+ Uses original mounting points
+ Easy(ish) install
+ Look good!
+ Available at your dealer

These can be bought from any Ford dealer via the accessories catalogue - they are (officially) meant for various other models, so you wont find it listed for the Mustang. But they fit straight in to the OE mounting points and connect as easily as any other solution.

Heres the link to the Ford catalogue: Part number 1 875 877

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/focus/2011/styling/lighting-systems#

From my own experience the Ford dealer is the cheapest place to buy them from. £189 in the UK, or €220 in Europe. Australasia etc, cant help, sorry.

The kit consists of one electronics module, two sealed lamp units, and various mounting bits n bobs.

From looking at the instructions and what comes included, id say this is probably an easy enough thing to do as a DIY install. However, I chose to let Ford do it for me.... reasoning: I bought the lights from them, and if I let them install them, any issues = their problem and its all guaranteed work.

In the end this was a VERY wise decision, as the first set I had installed 2 weeks ago had a fault. Today (under guarantee) the lights and the module have been replaced under guarantee and the extra labour (2 1/2 hours!) was all for free.

I paid €440 in total. Here in NL main dealer labour rates are €110 per hour. :crazy: But thats paid itself back. The original units had an internal wiring fault, hence the issue.

Now, the lights themselves.

They look great IMO
They are very, very bright!
If installed at Ford there are zero warranty issues.
Absolute minimal loom modification

Although I would ultimately prefer the tri-bar DRLs, theres no way im taking light units to pieces and doing major loom modification to a brand new car. I know others are much more comfortable doing this, but for now I wanted a non-invasive solution.

The physical installation of the light units themselves is <20mins work. Access via the wheel arch is good enough and the front bumper can stay in place.

If you install them yourself (at ÂŁ190) its similar in price to importing a set of OE US spec LED fog units, but that would still leave you with the DRL issue.

I also had them installed (slight wiring mod, to provide constant 12v) so that they remain illuminated even when the indicators are in use. They can also be installed in original way, so that the DRLs are extinguished when the indicators are in use.

Im very, very happy with these. Recommended :)

DRL

Fog light

(unlit) unit, looks totally OE:

Box

Sponsored