Sponsored

Original spare tire set

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
My spare tire kit came in today. It has an aluminum rim in size 5J18 that (as a special surprise to me :doh:) is painted black instead of silver as depicted in the Ford official product pics.

The kit comes with a jack + folding lug wrench and a different double threaded stud that is used to lock the jack to the floor and then to lock the wheel over the jack.

The tire is a Maxxis 155/60/18 which is significantly lower than the original tires (6.5%) so this really is to be used for slow emergency driving only. The tire could actually have been slightly higher as the wheel sits freely in the well, so a bit surprised why Ford didn't use a 265/60 for example.

Anyway it all fits excellent, locks in like a rock and the top floor stays nice and flush.

Btw for those of you who haven't gone through the car's manual from A-Z: In the bottom left corner of the last picture you can see a little white funnel. This is to be used when you run out of gas and have to fill up from a jerry can or something similar. The funnel will keep the easy fuel gas cap open and also the secondary valve that's a little deeper in the line. Alternatively it can also be used for emergency female relief shoud such an occasion rise unexpectedly.
Sponsored

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB 2016, BMW F11 M kit 2013, Seat Ateca 2017, Volvo T8 2019
Ericc thanks for this. Any specific reason you did not buy a spare tire and rimm at your local tire dealer? What is pricepoint to see what is possible.

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Ericc thanks for this. Any specific reason you did not buy a spare tire and rimm at your local tire dealer? What is pricepoint to see what is possible.
This wheel is about half the width of a regular one and is specifically designed to be this small but still fit over the Ecoboost PP brakes. It will not fit the EU GT cars because they all have the 6-pot Brembos.

A regular wheel will not fit all the way in the wheel well because of the langer and higher tire plus your floor will be dangling about 15cm in the air. If that would fit I would have just dumped one of my winter wheels in there.

You can buy this complete kit for around 250 dollar on eBay or at American Muscle. Shipping is a bitch though, because it's heavy. I paid 160 via Stackry.

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Adding weight, do you get so much flat tires?
But the one time you do, you will either wish/be thankful you have this!

I HATE not having a proper spare.

Eric, do you know if they make one to fit the GT too?

Sponsored

Voodoo077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EB 2016, BMW F11 M kit 2013, Seat Ateca 2017, Volvo T8 2019
Not possible to use runflat?

Yves .. On my BMW with run flats I broke two and had to go 3 more times for them to fix them and this in only 3 years!

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Eric, do you know if they make one to fit the GT too?
It only fits on the GT without Performance Package (4 caliper brakes) but unfortunately not on the GT with PP (6 caliper brakes) which is what all EU models have. There is no OEM spare for that I'm afraid.

In the US section there's a group of people trying to convince Need4Speed Perforance to develop a GT350 style spare that clears the big brakes, but so far it's just an idea.

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Adding weight
Yeah but because it's so thin it's actually not that heavy plus you get to drop the compressor. In total it ads only a few kg. That's really nothing on the total weight of the car.

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Not possible to use runflat?

Yves .. On my BMW with run flats I broke two and had to go 3 more times for them to fix them and this in only 3 years!
I was thinking about run flats first as well, but I decided not to because I'm afraid the comfort will get bad on shitty roads. Don't want to brake my back on the cobblestones, do I.

Sponsored

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Yeah but because it's so thin it's actually not that heavy plus you get to drop the compressor. In total it ads only a few kg. That's really nothing on the total weight of the car.
So 160+250 for the spare wheel set. Is the repair kit with the compressor so much worse than a spare tire? I've no clue how it works to be honest. Didn't even knew something like that existed before having this car.

OP
OP
Ericc B

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Is the repair kit with the compressor so much worse than a spare tire?
Depends on how bad your puncture is. From a certain size the foam just can't repair it anymore plus it will in most cases ruin your tire and your tpms sensor, not to mention the crap it leaves on the inside of your rim.

KY_V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2
I was able to get a spare at time of purchase. $243 OTD. Not to bad, but not as good as when you order new from ford as an option. <$200.:cheers:
Sponsored