Sponsored

OR over Sport?

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Right, and that is an option outside of the upgrade and premium package.

I meant the offroad itself does not include them unless you opt for the heated seat option or the upgrade or premium package.
I ordered no options. I wanted a TRD off-road as cheap as I could get.

Maybe I got lucky. But I donā€™t think you can cherry pick features you want like you can with other manufacturers. You are stuck with or without the options that a particular upgrade package comes with.
Sponsored

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I've had ORs and Sports in previous generations and for the city either will be fine. The main reasons I tend to prefer the sport even for mostly street driving:
- The OR suspension floats over minor potholes and rough pavement whereas the Sport's suspension seems to amplify every bump.
- I like the black fender flares, door handles, etc. But I generally get a color that looks good with the contrast.
- It's a truck.. I'm not going to be running any road rallies with it so there's not a lot of benefit from the stiffer handling of the Sport unless you're in the habit of not slowing down to make turns.

If I could find someone with a Sport who actually doesn't like the hood scoop though, I'd swap them hoods in a second. I like the fake scoop to add a little character.

svaughn76

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
When I was looking, plenty of OR's had heated seats that were not premium. It was a common option added at the factory from what I saw. Ventilated seats typically were a premium option
The heated seats come with the Off Road Upgrade option.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
The heated seats come with the Off Road Upgrade option.
look at post #13. You get them with Premium and Upgrade but it is one of the things that can be an option as built from the factory

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I went with the sport because I prefer the painted fenders. I also like the hood scoop, makes it look more aggressive. I also donā€™t off-road and wouldnā€™t want to in a truck this expensive. I absolutely love it. That being said, I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either of them.

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I have owned both. Living in WV our roads are crap so there is no floating over anything lol. I bought the sport because I wanted the OEM black trd wheels. And I liked the scoop. My previous Taco was a 2013 OR. You cant go wrong with either.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I have owned both. Living in WV our roads are crap so there is no floating over anything lol. I bought the sport because I wanted the OEM black trd wheels. And I liked the scoop. My previous Taco was a 2013 OR. You cant go wrong with either.
But baby dog is patching all the potholes!

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Baby Dog is most likely heading to DC next January

tinydani

First Name
Dani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road
I was in the same boat as you - had a deposit on a sport and then test drove an OR and decided that I had made a mistake. Main reason for me is that the pot holes in my city are bad and the drive felt much smoother in the OR. Have you test drove both? Aside from the suspension, the rear diff lock is probably the main reason people like the OR.

I got the premium package with the moon roof, heated leather seats, etc. and I couldnā€™t ask for more. Itā€™s a very comfortable ride. The only ā€œbenefitā€ I personally saw in the sport was that it had the non functional hood scoop, but that just wasnā€™t enough for me when they are priced the same. The OR felt like a bigger bang for my buck, but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll love whatever you choose!

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I went with base TRD OR with heated seats and larger display added as factory options. It's all a matter of your preferences. I wanted the OR features such as MTS and crawl for the snow in the winter and beaches in the summer. Had a moonroof in my last truck that I kept the shade closed most of the time. Also, I'll be the only one driving it 95% of the time, so don't really care about the power seats as they will rarely be moved. Everyone has individual preferences. Decide what are most important to you and go with it. Best of luck.

jmalski4865

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Offroad
I didn't know the OR didn't come with power seats, moon roof. Not a deal breaker but I wasn't sure why the prices were similar and what each had that were maybe different. Much appreciated!
The OR does come with power seats and sun roof if you purchase the upgrade packages

Blue Crush Taco

First Name
Dare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
I went with the Sport+, mainly because that was what came into the dealer that day! Haha. My 3rd gen was the OR and I found I didn't use most of the extra features anyway. I think the Sport is capable enough for whatever I'm doing with it and i do mostly highway. Just my opinion

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I went with the TRD Sport because it looks better with a better hood and the factory 18's are much better looking than the factory 17's.

Aside from looks, you will do fine with either.

Street driving or off-road, it does not matter because they are both Toyota 4x4's. I have been running BFG ko2's since they no longer made ko's. SR5, SR and even my X-Runner ran BFG KDW2's for street and BFG R1's for the road courses. Some argue I have a street truck because it has a sticker that states TRD Sport, but they fail to understand what a basic Toyota 4x4 is.

The TRD Sport has the same t-case, front diff. and because I have a 6-speed manual, I get the larger 9.5" rear axle with 4.30 gearing. That is not street gearing at all. Locking diff and sway bar disconnect are on the TRD OR, but over my 30 years driving Toyota trucks never needed those features. My 86 Toyota that I raced down in Baja, we gutted the front end, thus welded the rear spider gears for a true posi year-round. We had no front drive.

The multi-terrain features are nice, but that is why I drive the 6MT, you do not need that plus the BFG ko2's negate the need for that system likewise. Manual transmission recognize slippage quicker than an automatic, you feel it in your a$$ and hear or read the tac jumping. Manual's also require little braking input in winter conditions, just get off the throttle or down shift slowly, trust me over the years that does the trick on slick winter roads.

My TRD Sport has 12" front ground clearance with my simple setup. Off-roading is about your tires and ground clearance, the W when looking at the side of your truck, approach, breakover and departure angles. The way to improve those numbers is larger tires. The rest is the driver, what lines you are running, speed and gear you are in and so forth. Yes, a locking diff helps but I have done fine without one on my SR5 and SR models before.

In the end, it is a Toyota 4x4, no matter the sticker on the side. They both can drive the street well and they both can off-road well. Road comfort is about your tires, I would not know anything but off-road ko2's on street comfort.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Or if you want the ultimate Tacoma on road ride and all the cookies you could get the Limited with Adaptive Variable Suspension! :clap::wink: And since you probably hate chrome get the TRD accessory wheels and black badges! Black grills and front bumpers are already starting to hit the aftermarket.
Sponsored

Reactions: oxi