Options for moving the front USB port to the center console

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would like to move the front USB port to be near the other USB in the armrest. Has anyone done this? My DSP came with this remote control:
H8 DRC.PNG

It fits perfectly in the space where the existing front USB port is. I still need to have 2 functioning USB. Never liked that USB at the front either with my thumb drive poking out and getting in the way. I found a couple things on Amazon that might do the trick to allow me have 2 USB ports in the armrest. Any opinions on these? Anyone done something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/BATIGE-Water...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Or this square one:
https://www.amazon.com/BATIGE-Squar...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I will ask and not assume anything: are you looking to just extend the existing USB location in the radio/AC bezel area to retain the Sync connection or do you just need a USB charging port (no Sync connection) added close to the center console USB location?

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I use the front USB for my music so I would need to retain the data transfer features.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Based on your two options, I’d choose the square one. However, have you looked at USB relocation adapters to move it to the cigarette lighter outlet? It won’t require a hole to be cut. Pop out the cigarette lighter outlet, pop in the adapter, and run the factory USB cable to the adapter. Just an idea.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Based on your two options, I’d choose the square one. However, have you looked at USB relocation adapters to move it to the cigarette lighter outlet? It won’t require a hole to be cut. Pop out the cigarette lighter outlet, pop in the adapter, and run the factory USB cable to the adapter. Just an idea.
The first link in my original post is a USB port that mounts in the cigarette lighter hole. I will likely go with that one. I saw some other ones on Amazon that were rectangular and had 2 illuminated ports but they all said "Does not fit Mustang" they were also very expensive.

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
The first link in my original post is a USB port that mounts in the cigarette lighter hole. I will likely go with that one. I saw some other ones on Amazon that were rectangular and had 2 illuminated ports but they all said "Does not fit Mustang" they were also very expensive.
If the round adapter that you posted is too big for the outlet hole, you could try something like this:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/0...MI1t2w7_WI6gIVE0WGCh246QlFEAQYAyABEgKf5_D_BwE

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, those ones that go into the cigarette lighter do not have data transfer capability, just power (ie: device charging). If device charging is all you want there’s plenty of incredibly cheap options.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
You’d have to run a lot of wiring and do some substantial modifications.
Just use this:
USB Splitters - wishacc 2-Port USB Hub 1 Male to 2 Female USB y Splitter Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MHYVVZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ron7EbP55XZA2
Bandwidth will be cut in half if two devices are being read at the same time, however.
While I haven’t verified this with my 2019 Mustang, most cars cannot use cable splitters or USB hubs for data transfer. You can, however, use single cable extenders to relocate the USB port. The products mentioned earlier in the thread act as extenders.

Sponsored
OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've decided to leave the USB port where it is. Just too much hassle and extra cost to move it. I mounted the DSP control in the center between the USB and the power port. I would have liked it on the far left but it will still be functional in the middle.
20200619_133654.jpg
20200619_132930.jpg

FYI in my quest I found this Ford dual USB hub that would have been a perfect solution, leaving the front port unplugged and unoperational of course. The big issue was after shipping and duty I would have paid $100 for it.
usb hub.PNG

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've decided to leave the USB port where it is. Just too much hassle and extra cost to move it. I mounted the DSP control in the center between the USB and the power port. I would have liked it on the far left but it will still be functional in the middle.
20200619_133654.jpg
20200619_132930.jpg

FYI in my quest I found this Ford dual USB hub that would have been a perfect solution, leaving the front port unplugged and unoperational of course. The big issue was after shipping and duty I would have paid $100 for it.
usb hub.PNG
Only one of those ports will work unless you run the wiring from the USB under the radio to add a second bandwidth channel to the center console. That hub is for F150s. There is only wiring for a single channel in the center console. It would be the same situation, just would look a lot nicer.

While I haven’t verified this with my 2019 Mustang, most cars cannot use cable splitters or USB hubs for data transfer. You can, however, use single cable extenders to relocate the USB port. The products mentioned earlier in the thread act as extenders.
I’ll try it tomorrow or later in the week, but, the splitter works fine in my fiancé’s M56x.
Those extenders previously linked would require the wiring from one of the existing USB ports to be rerouted to it to function as a USB port: that’s the issue I was pointing out. :)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Only one of those ports will work unless you run the wiring from the USB under the radio to add a second bandwidth channel to the center console. That hub is for F150s. There is only wiring for a single channel in the center console. It would be the same situation, just would look a lot nicer.

I’ll try it tomorrow or later in the week, but, the splitter works fine in my fiancé’s M56x.
Those extenders previously linked would require the wiring from one of the existing USB ports to be rerouted to it to function as a USB port: that’s the issue I was pointing out. :)
when we were first getting carplay sync 3 updates, I bought a F150 Hub. I haven't tested both usb ports together at the same time, but they both worked individually and Id bet they both work together.
Sponsored