Opinions on S197.2 from former owners

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Exactly, same seat frame, same foam cushions, difference is cloth vs. leather.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Found a Mishimoto thermostat I got for my friend he never received (sent to billing address), really makes me miss being part of the gang.

I hope all these jobs come through, at this point my range is 13-17

Hi rpm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
N/A
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, Iconic Silver, 6 Speed, 700A, HP
I owned a new 2012 GT Brembo car w/MT82 transmission and 3:73 gears. Performance White with black leather interior.
FYI, the Brembo package was the "Performance Pack" of the day. It includes much more than just the larger brakes.
I drove SS Camaros of the same year and 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi Challengers. I was hooked on the Coyotes fast reving nature and high RPM ceiling. 6700 RPM redline I believe.
It was a fast, reasonably comfortable car that both stopped and handled well. I loved the retro dash w/its anolog gauges and its simple old school layout.
The seating postion for me (I'm 5 ft 8 with short legs and Uhm...a Husky build) was not ideal.
There is no telescoping steering and the clutch pedal has a long throw to the floor. I end up sitting a bit to close to the wheel and have the shifter a bit to close to me as well. Its was odd at first, but I adapted.

I later traded it and bought a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 w/8speed automatic. This car was loaded!
The 6.4 Hemi has way more guts than a 6.1 Hemi. I believe a 6200 RPM redline. Lots of torque yet still would rev pretty fast. Awesome high speed stability and a crazy top end.
The 6 piston Brembos up front and 4 piston on the rear hauled this big girl down w/out issue.

BUT...I soon got bored with the automatic and its 4200 lb weight was not going to be tossed around on back roads like my previous Mustang.
I will say it had a decent amount of grip and was extremely comfortable... I sold it soon after.

I bought a lower mileage (19k on the clock) 2013 BOSS Mustang in SBY with Recaro/Torsen option. With the exception of removing the side exhaust restricter plates, this car was BONE STOCK as it left the factory. I even kept the factory suspension settings at 2 front and 2 rear.
This has been the most thrilling and engaging car I have owned yet. Fast, Fun, and Exciting to drive. The exhaust sound is near perfect. The engine revs high w/7500 RPM redline and revs up super quick!
It handles really good, The brakes are OK, but not amazing . The ride is tolerable. Definitely firm. I wouldn't go so far as to say "comfortable" (the Recaros hold like velcro, but bothered my left leg after about an hours drive) I am back into the same odd driving position as my old GT. The stock shifter sucks as does the clutch. High rpm (above 7000 ) lock outs of 2nd happen occasionally, but more commonly its 3rd. I get the dreaded clutch pedal stuck to the floor syndrome a couple of times as well.
Covid happens and I sell the car for the same money I paid for it, 2 years prior.
I instantly regretted selling it! I have been looking at getting another ever since.

I now have a 2022 Mach 1 HP 700a w/Tremec. The ride is awesome, very comfortable. The car is fast and has much more low end punch than either of my past Mustangs. The grip is just crazy. The seating /driving position is great. The transmission and shifter work perfectly. The active exhaust is cool and does sound good in Sport.
Actually I just drive it in Sport mode all the time otherwise the throttle response is way to lazy.
I only have 900 miles on this car, so I dont want to be to harsh judging it. I need more seat time for sure.

I cant help but think that this Mach 1 cost over twice as much $ as my old BOSS, yet I'm not getting that "connected" feeling with it yet.

Like I said, I need more seat time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
I owned a new 2012 GT Brembo car w/MT82 transmission and 3:73 gears. Performance White with black leather interior.
FYI, the Brembo package was the "Performance Pack" of the day. It includes much more than just the larger brakes.
I drove SS Camaros of the same year and 5.7 and 6.1 Hemi Challengers. I was hooked on the Coyotes fast reving nature and high RPM ceiling. 6700 RPM redline I believe.
It was a fast, reasonably comfortable car that both stopped and handled well. I loved the retro dash w/its anolog gauges and its simple old school layout.
The seating postion for me (I'm 5 ft 8 with short legs and Uhm...a Husky build) was not ideal.
There is no telescoping steering and the clutch pedal has a long throw to the floor. I end up sitting a bit to close to the wheel and have the shifter a bit to close to me as well. Its a bit odd at first, but I adapted.

I later traded it and bought a 2015 Challenger SRT 392 w/8speed automatic. This car was loaded!
The 6.4 Hemi has way more guts than a 6.1 Hemi. I believe a 6200 RPM redline. Lots of torque yet still would rev pretty fast. Awsome high speed stability and a crazy top speed. The 6 piston Brembos up front and 4 piston on the rear hauled this big girl down from speed w/out issue.

BUT...I soon got bored with the automatic and its 4200 weight was not going to tossed around on back roads like my previous Mustang.
I will say it had a decent amount of grip and was extremely comfortable. I sold it soon after.

I bought a lower mileage (19k on the clock) 2013 BOSS Mustang in SBY with Recaro/Torsen option. With the exception of removing the side exhaust restricter plates, this car was BONE STOCK as it left the factory. I even kept the factory suspension settings at 2 front and 2 rear.
This has been the most thrilling and engaging car I have owned yet. Fast, Fun, and Exciting to drive. The exhaust sound is near perfect.
It handles really good, The brakes are OK, but not amazing . The ride is tolerable, definitely firm, but I wouldnt call it comfortable. (the Recaros hold like crazy, but bothered my left leg after about an hours drive) I am back into the same odd driving position as my old GT. The stock shifter sucks as does the clutch. High rpm lock outs of 2nd and 3rd gear are common. I get the dreaded clutch pedal stuck to the floor syndrom a couple of times as well. Covid happens and I sell the car for the same price as I paid for it 2 years prior.
I instantly regret selling it, and have been looking at getting another one ever since.

I now have a 2022 Mach 1 HP 700a w/Tremec. The ride is awesome, very comfortable. The car is fast and has much more low end punch than either of my past Mustangs. The grip is just crazy. The seating /driving position is great. The transmission and shifter work perfectly. The active exaust is cool and does sound good in Sport.
Actually I just drive it in Sport mode all the time otherwise the throttle response is way to lazy.
I only have 900 miles on this car, so I dont want to be to harsh judging it. I need more seat time for sure.
I cant help but think that this Mach 1 cost over twice as much $ as my old BOSS, yet I'm not getting that "connected" feeling with it yet.

I heard the s197 was more raw in comparison they say, why ya dont get the same feeling.

great write up, definitely worth rereading as this was the feedback I was looking for. Thanks Hi rpm!

Sponsored

Hi rpm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
N/A
Vehicle(s)
You are more than welcome, JoeSpeed. I was afraid it was going to be to much

I tried to edit/clean up some of the sloppy writing a little. I also added a few small details as well.

An S197 and a S550 really are 2 different cars all together.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
There is no telescoping steering and the clutch pedal has a long throw to the floor. I end up sitting a bit to close to the wheel and have the shifter a bit to close to me as well. Its was odd at first, but I adapted.

The 6.4 Hemi has way more guts than a 6.1 Hemi. I believe a 6200 RPM redline. Lots of torque yet still would rev pretty fast. Awesome high speed stability and a crazy top end.
The 6 piston Brembos up front and 4 piston on the rear hauled this big girl down w/out issue.

BUT...I soon got bored with the automatic and its 4200 lb weight was not going to be tossed around on back roads like my previous Mustang.
I will say it had a decent amount of grip and was extremely comfortable... I sold it soon after.

This has been the most thrilling and engaging car I have owned yet. Fast, Fun, and Exciting to drive. The exhaust sound is near perfect. The engine revs high w/7500 RPM redline and revs up super quick!
It handles really good, The brakes are OK, but not amazing . The ride is tolerable. Definitely firm. I wouldn't go so far as to say "comfortable" (the Recaros hold like velcro, but bothered my left leg after about an hours drive) I am back into the same odd driving position as my old GT. The stock shifter sucks as does the clutch. High rpm (above 7000 ) lock outs of 2nd happen occasionally, but more commonly its 3rd. I get the dreaded clutch pedal stuck to the floor syndrome a couple of times as well.
Covid happens and I sell the car for the same money I paid for it, 2 years prior.
I instantly regretted selling it! I have been looking at getting another ever since.

I now have a 2022 Mach 1 HP 700a w/Tremec. The ride is awesome, very comfortable. The car is fast and has much more low end punch than either of my past Mustangs. The grip is just crazy. The seating /driving position is great. The transmission and shifter work perfectly. The active exhaust is cool and does sound good in Sport.

I bought a new 2013 Boss 302. It was race red. I changed the shifted to. Barton/Ford Performance, uncorked the side pipes and went with Flowmaster Outlaw axle backs. It rocked. Kept it for 6.5 years, and should not have sold it. I now have a 22 Mach and 22 GT. I believe anyone who has owned a Boss prior to a Mach will always feel like something is missingā€¦ā€¦and it is. The side pipes. I added the Boss side pipes from Ford Performance and it really completes the package. The car should have had side pipes from the factory.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
I bought a new 2013 Boss 302. It was race red. I changed the shifted to. Barton/Ford Performance, uncorked the side pipes and went with Flowmaster Outlaw axle backs. It rocked. Kept it for 6.5 years, and should not have sold it. I now have a 22 Mach and 22 GT. I believe anyone who has owned a Boss prior to a Mach will always feel like something is missingā€¦ā€¦and it is. The side pipes. I added the Boss side pipes from Ford Performance and it really completes the package. The car should have had side pipes from the factory.
Forget a vert, gotta be like my Dad, the Boss!

Do bossā€™s have MyColor btw?

jjsotolongo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
3A78D756-430E-449C-82B9-6D341DD3D9A4.jpeg

My old ā€˜14 GT. To this day there is something about this car that even my current 22 lacks. Maybe itā€™s the retro styling. Maybe the fact that way less people had them as opposed to the 15+ cars. Maybe itā€™s the lack of refinement that allowed a more visceral experience for better or worse.

It handled incredibly but only after I changed literally the entire suspension for the whole Steeda suite. Springs, struts, ball joints, control arms at both ends. It was stiff as all hell but my god could it turn.

I say all that to say you will definitely have the same (and in some ways more) fun with the S197 over the S550. What you will loose is refinement, comfort, and the modern amenities. This might matter a lot in a daily-driver situation or with the road conditions around you.

The S197 was built with an old-school muscle car thought processes first, and some modern touches after. The S550 is a modern car first that has some muscle/GT in the mix.

Hi rpm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
N/A
Vehicle(s)
I

My old ā€˜14 GT. To this day there is something about this car that even my current 22 lacks. Maybe itā€™s the retro styling. Maybe the fact that way less people had them as opposed to the 15+ cars. Maybe itā€™s the lack of refinement that allowed a more visceral experience for better or worse.

It handled incredibly but only after I changed literally the entire suspension for the whole Steeda suite. Springs, struts, ball joints, control arms at both ends. It was stiff as all hell but my god could it turn.

I say all that to say you will definitely have the same (and in some ways more) fun with the S197 over the S550. What you will loose is refinement, comfort, and the modern amenities. This might matter a lot in a daily-driver situation or with the road conditions around you.

The S197 was built with an old-school muscle car thought processes first, and some modern touches after. The S550 is a modern car first that has some muscle/GT in the mix.
The solid rear axle of the S197 cars get a lot of criticism. Axle tramp, skipping or skating on bumpy corners, harsh ride etc. I personally feel these complaints, although true to a certain extent, are way over blown.
I believe they have a more direct/connected feel to them vs a IRS. I also believe they are easier to steer with the throttle.
This is my opinion coming from 40 years of driving front engine, rear drive, solid axle cars and trucks. .
I'm accustomed to that style of driver feedback and control.

I agree with you that the S197 cars may very well be the the more exciting and engaging car to drive, even with all their quirks.

Oh, by the way, that 2014 GT looks sharp!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
The solid rear axle of the S197 cars get a lot of criticism. Axle tramp, skipping or skating on bumpy corners, harsh ride etc. I personally feel these complaints, although true to a certain extent, are way over blown.
I believe they have a more direct/connected feel to them vs a IRS. I also believe they are easier to steer with the throttle.
This is my opinion coming from 40 years of driving front engine, rear drive, solid axle cars and trucks. .
I'm accustomed to that style of driver feedback and control.

I agree with you that the S197 cars may very well be the the more exciting and engaging car to drive, even with all their quirks.

Oh, by the way, that 2014 GT looks sharp!
I drive a Bronco, ifs/sra, so it ainā€™t that different setup wise. Had a 5th gen Ram prior, so I know what to expect for the most part, minus the power and weight difference. I do find it fun, also get a sense why the AE86 are mostly SRA with a few modded exceptions. I wonder how my old Ecoboost woulda been if I tried to go slideways at turns like I do with my Bronco and my old Ram

Also, as you said, he's gotta Beautiful Coupe there

I drive a Bronco daily with a manual soft top, don't think it'd be that bad. Had a S550, time to go retro.

What wheels are those btw?

jjsotolongo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
I drive a Bronco, ifs/sra, so it ainā€™t that different setup wise. Had a 5th gen Ram prior, so I know what to expect for the most part, minus the power and weight difference. I do find it fun, also get a sense why the AE86 are mostly SRA with a few modded exceptions. I wonder how my old Ecoboost woulda been if I tried to go slideways at turns like I do with my Bronco and my old Ram

Also, as you said, he's gotta Beautiful Coupe there

I drive a Bronco daily with a manual soft top, don't think it'd be that bad. Had a S550, time to go retro.

What wheels are those btw?
Thanks! The wheels are basic AMRā€™s from American muscle. 19x8.5 front and 19x10 in the back. Nothing crazy just cast Aluminum. You can get the same style in lighter variants from SVE or others these days.

I think youā€™ll enjoy the S197. Itā€™s retro in all the right ways. Just try and find a clean one. I would buy mine back if I could find it again.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Here's my apple to apple comparo. Rental s197 v6 conv. to rental s550 v6 fastback. I owned a bmw 328i ZSP (sport pack) MT at the time.

I enjoyed s197 but afterall felt my bmw was a superior ride.

I sold my bmw after renting a s550. Bought a GT 2017 PP and still a happy owner.

Hi rpm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
N/A
Vehicle(s)
A friend of mine sent me a link to those Ford Performance side pipes recently.
There is a thread here somewhere about them installed on a Mach 1.
I will have to revisit it.

Do you think your Mach 1 now sounds similar to your old BOSS at idle??

You know..."Blub, Blub, Blub"...HA!
Sponsored