Sponsored

Opinions on S197.2 from former owners

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Sorry, but I just can't agree there. Unlike Ford's other vehicles, the base S550 gets quite a few features that are normally locked behind packages or higher trim levels. Things like proxmity lock/unlock and LED headlamps being standard are unheard of in any other Ford model. Not only that, but you aren't really giving much up at all on the base model besides infotainment and nicer looking/higher quality plastic pieces, which I find very hard to care about. And the seats of course. The heated and cooled option is nice, but the base seats are still very comfortable and still have electric adjustment, a rare thing in base model vehicles across all brands. Hell, you even still get factory line lock and launch control (on manuals) without paying an extra penny. And auto dim rear view is standard too.
... as well as Bluetooth integration with voice commands...

Really the only things I miss is android auto. I reskinned seats only because of the dog hair I had to deal with. Leather is esasdier to clean than cloth.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
... as well as Bluetooth integration with voice commands...

Really the only things I miss is android auto. I reskinned seats only because of the dog hair I had to deal with. Leather is esasdier to clean than cloth.
Yeah, the voice features on the base sync actually work very well, and bluetooth has no issues. With my last car that had android auto, I only really used it on long trips. For 90% of my driving I just used bluetooth since I knew where I was going and didn't want to plug my phone in. It is nice when you are unfamiliar with an area for sure though.

For this car if I'm traveling I have a dash mounted pro clip, so I can use maps on my phone within my field of vision without having to look down and off the road though.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Realistically, other than 8hp, is there any real reason to look at a 13-14 over an 11-12?

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Anyone do side exhausts? Part of the draw is this Cervinis kit on a ragtop
Boss 302 comes with side exit exhaust (as well as rear exit) from factory if you want to go the S197 route. It’s a no frills car so if you want some of the creature comforts of a S197 or S550 GT, that’s going to be lacking in the Boss.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have owned a 2011 V6 and a 2011 Brembo GT with 3.73 rear gears and the other performance options Ford included with the Brembos at that time. I also owned a 2015 GT base and now I own a 2017 GT PP1. All have been manual transmission.

The MT-82 in the 2011s always had some crunchiness to the gears. It didn't like to go into 2nd very smoothly. The 2011 GT I owned also had a shifter that was extremely worn and difficult to select gears. I guess there was a problem in some cars with welding spatter on a shaft inside the shifter where the spatter could wear out the shifter. Those older MT82s were somewhat annoying, but functionally they worked fine. The 2015-2017 MT-82 is by far superior. Very smooth shifts, even in cold weather. I drove my 2015 GT every day year round commuting to work here in MN. Great vehicle. I think there have been some issues with the 2018+ MT82 and I would personally stay away from them.

Headlights - the 2015+ HIDs are by far superior to the 2011 headlights. Sometimes at night I had trouble seeing in the 2011s. And I have good night vision. This was a huge upgrade. I realize the 2013/2014s had the HIDs, so that would be an option if you want to go that way. I'm not sure how good those HIDs are as I haven't spent time in one of those cars. I would never consider buying one due to the pig nose look they have.

Styling - I like the 2011 and 2012 better than the 2015+. 2015+ are ok not great in my opinion. And 2018+ I really don't like. I think 2013 and 2014 are UUUUUUGLY! But 2011 is so beautiful. I think the GT350s are a little better looking than the GTs, but you didn't ask about Shelby.

Ride - the Brembo GT has a stiff ride, but also isn't the greatest for handling unless the pavement is very smooth. I few times in cold weather I remember hitting potholes and feeling like I almost lost control of the car. The 2015 base GT and 2017 PP1 GT have extremely soft and compliant suspension. This is great for straight lines and for cruising, but not good if you want to turn corners and do some performance driving. Don't get me wrong, the suspension grips really well, but IMO performance driving is difficult if there isn't very good body control. If you are buying a 2015+ and want to go to the track, assume that you will want to replace springs and shocks at a minimum. This probably is true of most 2011-2014 cars as well, but the stiff springs/shocks/sways on the Brembo GT models might be sufficient.

Gearing - the 2011 V6 and especially 2011 Brembo GT had awesome gearing with the 3.73s. My 2017 PP1 has that as well. The 2015 base felt very slow with the factory gearing. I think the S550 (by the way, S197.2 is both inaccurate and kind of a jerk thing to say). Is a somewhat heavier car, but it is way faster if you have any corners on your journey. I would stay away from the 2018+ GTs because the MT82 gearing was changed. They have more power, but the gearing just is terrible.

Interior is much better in the S550, but still not very good unless you get a premium model. I think they are all fine, but it depends on what you want.

I prefer the seats in the older cars over the S550 seats, but I'm 6'4" and 200. If you are a little guy, you will probably prefer the S550 seats.

Engine - Ford increased power in 2018 but also added direct injection and plasma spray cylinder bore liners. Ford didn't cheap out like other brands and kept the port injection as well as the DI to try to keep the valves clean. However, I personally stay away from both DI and the PTWA cylinder bores. I prefer the earlier Coyotes 2017 and prior with the iron sleeve cylinders and port only injection. I think that is well known and proven technology that will last a really long time and is easily modified and upgraded.

Body - I owned two different 2011s and the leading edge of the hood bubbled and the paint came off on both of them. I don't know if it's a design flaw or a process flaw with the aluminum hoods and the paint Ford was using. I think this issue is less common on later cars. Something to watch for.

A long book. I hope it's helpful.

Last edited:

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Probably way late to this but can confirm what others have said. Had a 2011 V6 Premium automatic. Put in 3.31 gears and a tune which helped. Solid rear axle hops when cornering, straight line is fine. I'd like to have a 13/14 GT500 but I've come to like the S550 platform too much.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Probably way late to this but can confirm what others have said. Had a 2011 V6 Premium automatic. Put in 3.31 gears and a tune which helped. Solid rear axle hops when cornering, straight line is fine. I'd like to have a 13/14 GT500 but I've come to like the S550 platform too much.
never too late to comment.

either way, wanna get back in the Mustang Game soon

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
IMO 13-14 is the sweet spot for pricing/performance.

Put on a 18+ intake manifold, 18+ intake, some injectors to run E85 and beat the crap out of it. Those cars make pretty good power.

The solid axle likes to get upset on washboard roads, and the interior is not up to todays standards but they are cheaper and weigh a whole lot less.

If you just want a fun car I would vote for 13-14.

If you are planning for a supercharged beast 15+ no question.

Edit. And as for the changes from the 12 to 13 engines, deleted oil squirters and updated pistons.

Last edited:

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Before I bought my previous 2015, I test drove a 2013 GT. I drove them both less than 1 hour apart from each other. Both GT Premium, both 6 spd manual, both same rear gears (3.31 I believe). While I am still torn between the two from a visual standpoint, the driving experience was more of an apples to grapes comparison. The 2015 was better in every way. Felt faster, handled better, better ride quality, better interior feel. Part of me does prefer the exterior styling of the 11-14 body over the S550, but that's where it stops for me.

Now I have a 16 GT PP Premium, and I drive it like the old man I am. I'm past the point of beating up my daily drivers, so I don't drive this car hard beyond the occasional spirited acceleration getting on the freeway.

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
same applies to S550 - base is terrible to live with day to day.
This is the truth for sure. My 2015 was a premium, my 2016 is a premium, and my wife's 2018 was a base model. Her interior was horrible. The seats were horribly uncomfortable, and everything felt cheap. The seats in the premium are 100% better.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This is the truth for sure. My 2015 was a premium, my 2016 is a premium, and my wife's 2018 was a base model. Her interior was horrible. The seats were horribly uncomfortable, and everything felt cheap. The seats in the premium are 100% better.
Exactly the same seats between the premium and base. Only difference is the covers.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Because where else could I ask this?

Love my Bronco, but the end of the day, shes an offroader and not a speed demon. So thinking towards the end of the year, Ill get myself a toy, and it comes down to 11-14 to 15-17 Coyote

What did you like and didnt like about your S197.2’s, miss it even with how the current gens are in comparison and for just a toy, does it even matter?

Thanks in Advance
I had a 2012 Mustang GT And could never get it to handle like I wanted, even having lowered it. I now have a 2015 GT PP manual and it’s night and day difference. It handles great, quieter inside and, in my mind, better looking.
05EC05AC-E737-47CD-8743-2C1AC8B04E9C.jpeg
29B56968-7E63-4677-912E-C1940E95BD88.jpeg
It’s may be an unfair comparison with the S197 being an automatic and the S550 having the Performance Pack option.
Sponsored