Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
All motorcycle gear even the full mesh stuff gets sweaty hot standing around or walking. But it's very comfortable once moving 20mph. You can actually get chilled even when it's 85F out. Do not shirk gear because it's hot. Step out of it if you're getting hot walking to and from the garage or undo the leg zipper at the top to vent.

If you're in the saddle, the gear needs to be on. Always. Even if you're going 3 blocks for cigs.
You misunderstand. I wasn't implying I was going to neglect the gear. I'm just wondering if overpants would feel hotter in the summer than kevlar jeans.
Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
@Dfeeds - Great choice on the RF-1400! Mine's black, but it looks great in white. The only downfall to the Shoei helmet is you've now been ruined for all other brands. I've tried, but once you go Shoei you're sold for life! They're by far the most comfortable and so far the quietest I've found which is a huge selling point for me. There's nothing worse than a loud helmet on the highway. It'll drive you mad.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeans breathe poorly and kevlar fabric isn't known for it either.

The mesh over pants move a ton of air. The choice is more about armor/padding and how long and d what you'll be doing once you get off the bike.

I would not choose to spend 8hrs in Draggin Jeans even if the dress code allowed it. Over pants give you options.

I wear 23db earplugs no matter how so called quiet the helmet might be. My last shoei was an rf900 so I haven't kept up.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
@Dfeeds - Great choice on the RF-1400! Mine's black, but it looks great in white. The only downfall to the Shoei helmet is you've now been ruined for all other brands. I've tried, but once you go Shoei you're sold for life! They're by far the most comfortable and so far the quietest I've found which is a huge selling point for me. There's nothing worse than a loud helmet on the highway. It'll drive you mad.
Ha, figures. It was the only one that fit my head right. I almost got the shoei neotec 2 (I wear glasses so I wanted the modular) but it didn't fit as good and was almost double the price. Black was wicked cool! I just wanted white because it's supposedly easier to see, and ended up liking it way more than I expected. I usually go for darker colors, too.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Jeans breathe poorly and kevlar fabric isn't known for it either.

The mesh over pants move a ton of air. The choice is more about armor/padding and how long and d what you'll be doing once you get off the bike.

I would not choose to spend 8hrs in Draggin Jeans even if the dress code allowed it. Over pants give you options.

I wear 23db earplugs no matter how so called quiet the helmet might be. My last shoei was an rf900 so I haven't kept up.
I'm planning on wearing plugs. I am a little worried it may hinder my ability to hear things but I also double up (plugs + muffs) when flying and shooting without any issue. Do you just use regular foam plugs or have you tried out any of the fancy musician plugs?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The motorcycle game is all about visibility. Black gear looks cool, must wear a construction vest over it so people have a small chance to see you

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a giant box of foam. I only go deaf when my wife and kids are badgering me for attention.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I have a giant box of foam. I only go deaf when my wife and kids are badgering me for attention.
If you're looking for some foam with a higher db, I usually grab these at cvs. https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-superior-soft-foam-earplugs-50-pair-prodid-942245

I wanted a black helmet but, after seeing the white, I fell in love. I'm seriously considering turning this into a pseudo rebellion helmet so I can pretend I'm getting into an x wing. Because f**k being an adult.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
i can't stand those. I use the yellow/white standard beer can shape. If you're wearing them for 8hrs a day then your ears may complain.
They do complain at 8 hours but they're fine up to that. Gotta link? I can't say I've ever shopped around for ear plugs. I just grabbed whatever had the higher db reduction.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Another thing to consider: insurance coverage. It's a little different on a bike.

Most (not all) motorcycle insurance doesn't cover personal injury or anything considered an accessory on a bike. You can get accessory coverage added through most carriers, but only a few offer personal injury coverage.

I learned this the hard way after my deer incident. I was on the hook for everything medical outside my health insurance deductible. Ironically, the left saddlebag on the bike likely kept the bike from being totaled (would have had heavy frame damage without it), yet the bag was considered an accessory so I got to cover that, while all other damage was relatively minimal and was covered by insurance.

Ask questions and read that fine print...

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Another thing to consider: insurance coverage. It's a little different on a bike.

Most (not all) motorcycle insurance doesn't cover personal injury or anything considered an accessory on a bike. You can get accessory coverage added through most carriers, but only a few offer personal injury coverage.

I learned this the hard way after my deer incident. I was on the hook for everything medical outside my health insurance deductible. Ironically, the left saddlebag on the bike likely kept the bike from being totaled (would have had heavy frame damage without it), yet the bag was considered an accessory so I got to cover that, while all other damage was relatively minimal and was covered by insurance.

Ask questions and read that fine print...
I actually have been trying to do a bit of reading on insurance. I got a few quotes but progressive actually had the best options I found. Lost wages, personal injury protection/medical bills (I was thinking of setting it to my deductible because my health insurance is pretty good), asset protection, and rider gear replacement (up to dollar amount selected). Some options shot the premium up through the roof, but they're there. Also discounts for having M/MC certification and proof of completion for an MSF course. Geico was similar. I wanted to try Erie but they didn't cover cruisers, only dirt bikes and mini bikes. I found that a bit odd.

This site has been useful and was floating around reddit. https://www.nelsonboydlaw.com/blog/publications/what-you-need-to-know-about-motorcycle-insurance/

I'm not sure if the advice is geared towards everyone but it definitely helped steef me in the right direction.
Sponsored