Sponsored

Opinion: Whipple 5.0 or 2021 Nissan GT-R?

sube83sti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 - A10 - Magneride 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
I have a 2020 Mustang GT that is pretty optioned out. 401a, pp1, magneride, active exhaust, B&O, etc. I ordered a Whipple Stage 2 kit that I'm still waiting for from Black Friday. My local Nissan dealership has an open allocation for a 2021 Nissan GT-R (dream car) with Q4 delivery window. With used car prices outrageously high, I would break even on the Mustang. Which one of the following would you recommend?

1. Keep the Mustang and Whipple it
2. Sell the Mustang for the GT-R (and mod the GT-R)
3. Keep the Mustang stock and get the GT-R (financially possible). I would sell the Whipple to a relative.
4. Whipple the Mustang and buy the GT-R (wife would not be happy)

I've always wanted a GT-R but refused to buy a used sports car. I'm afraid I might miss the V8 sound and rumble. Also not sure if my wife's Infinity Q50 Red Sport which is modified is too similar to the GT-R. Both are AWD, twin turbo v6, and near 500 awhp. I know GT-R mods are expensive and could use that money to make the Mustang a monster with the Whipple, E85, and drag tire setup. I'm also second guessing if I "really" need three fast vehicles in the household. Wife is okay with two, but three is pushing it.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you already can't put the pwoer down on the Mustang. So more is pointless. Sell the Whipple.
Buy the GTR and leave it alone.

Sell the Mustang and by the time the bloom is off the GTR (if that should happen) the prices on Mustangs will be back to sanity.
Re-buy a Mustang if it's that important.

But first get a useful ride (better drive) in a GTR owned by a local so you can evaluate it fairly.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Im whippling my mustang, I think it will be faster for less money. Also cheaper if parts break when you lose warranty from modding.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
To me this is a no brainer. If you can afford a new Nissan GT-R, get the GT-R. Be warned that the ancient transmission in the GT-R takes about 3-4 seconds in auto mode to downshift from 6th to 2nd once you floor it. That would be very annoying to me. It has to shift through each gear as it drops down. It's also old, but it still looks great in person, and has good hp from the factory.

A whippled 5.0 will only be fast with the right tires at low speeds, and where it will hook (70+ mph), you'll be in jail territory after a short romp. Plus, you still only have the value of a GT 5.0 despite many thousands of $ invested into it.

I'd sell the Mustang given today's market. After I bought my '21 Camaro ZL1 in March I briefly considered keeping my 2018 GT Premium PP1 A10 w/ MagneRide as well (because I really loved that car). Then after a week with both I realized there was nearly no situation where I would choose to drive the Mustang over the ZL1. I think I would have the same thought process if I had a GT-R instead of a ZL1.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
They can both be monsters. The gtr has a "wow" factor to it that the Mustang won't get. Traction will be better with the Gtr also. Everyone I know who has had one has loved everything about them other than the cost of parts and maintenance. It's a superior car to the GT, and it should be because they aren't in the same class. If I had the funds to get one I would. That said, it depends on what you want to do with the car or how you like to drive and what kind of experience you like. If it were me, I'd try and keep both if I could swing it. For me, my mustang is an M6 car, so I would justify getting the Gtr since it's an auto. At least that's gonna be my excuse for getting my next mustang which will be an A10 car. Lol.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Ride ludicrous mode first?
And a 200cc drift trike?
Have you run HPDE w stang yet?

Whats real priority?
Street rolls?
Digs from red lights?
Drag strip?
Track days?
Drift?
Something you can toss the rear end out and do silly cloverleaf drifts and have fun shredding tires?
Attention from ladies/guys?
Luxury interior?
Impress coworkers, friends, etc?
Instant torque for authoritative traffic weaving?
Fun experience?
Deathwish?
Hardparking?
Fungaping?
Just want a new experience and not sure what will make you happiest?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest whipple and get a drop in drift front suspension and start going to solo drift events. Its what Japanese that can afford a GTR do when they get bored of it.
If in America, consider taking advantage of Americana, so you can look back 20 years from now and say damn that was fun when everyone is in their self driving electric cars cause insurance makes conventional driving too expensive….

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I would seriously think on the GTR.
The maintenance costs are astronomical.
But, if its in your budget and can withstand a $7000 brake job.
Go for the GTR....

OP
OP

sube83sti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 - A10 - Magneride 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
So, the whipple kit I ordered on 11/27 should arrive tomorrow. There's only 4 new GTR's nationwide and nobody seems like they want to sell.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So clearly the GT-R has far more exclusivity, plus things like AWD making it super quick on street tires, has a DCT, some really cool tech/instrumentation. I'm a fan, I almost bought one years ago.

But let's look at where you sit today: you've got a loaded GT (PP/MR/etc.), so like $53K-54K-ish, ordered a Whipple, I'd guess with a few upgrades, so probably close to $10K - even call it $15K, that's around $70K in a car.

The '21 GT-R Premium is ~$120K, the Track model is ~$160K, that's a LOT of additional car expense when you cross $100K. Plus like @Chef jpd mentioned, costly maintenance items. You also mentioned "mods" to the GT-R, so you're all set with buying a $120,000 car, spending $10K on mods, and possibly having to drop $20K on a motor or a transmission[?]

Look, I'm not trying to get too involved with your financial situation, but I will say, if I was going to spend $120K-160K on a Nissan, I'd seriously think about other cars in that cost segment, and I'd leave it stock.

So, the whipple kit I ordered on 11/27 should arrive tomorrow. There's only 4 new GTR's nationwide and nobody seems like they want to sell.

Call a dealer, explain you're shopping (out of state if that's the situation), tell them you are absolutely a legit buyer, and want a car in their inventory - confirm price and and send them $3000 via CC. They'll sell you the car. :like:

Sponsored

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Sell the mustang, buy GTR, and get a daily driver.

I had a $63k pre approval last year and considered a C8, Supra, R32, R33 GTRs and a used, but stock GTR (saw some every once in a while with less than 30k for under or around $60k). A high monthly payment wasn't practical (middle class) for me. But, obviously you can afford one so do it. It's a special car. I'd also consider a 911 if I could afford that much car. A slightly used McLaren might be had for that price too. Hopefully you can get a GTR closer to $110k.

Talking out loud here, but I'll take a GTR any day over a whipple car. Especially a new one. They put the power down and modded GTRs always beat 5.0s with power adders on 1320 video. It will hold it's value too. I can't put into words how much car that is.

Dark Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramsey
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Talking out loud here, but I'll take a GTR any day over a whipple car. Especially a new one. They put the power down and modded GTRs always beat 5.0s with power adders on 1320 video. It will hold it's value too. I can't put into words how much car that is.
I think at that point its more about mods that determine the outcome. A lot of the guys who have GTRs have the scratch to mod the piss out of them. I'd venture to bet that a 5.0 with a Whipple, set of slicks and A10 trans would handle a stock GTR.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I think at that point its more about mods that determine the outcome. A lot of the guys who have GTRs have the scratch to mod the piss out of them. I'd venture to bet that a 5.0 with a Whipple, set of slicks and A10 trans would handle a stock GTR.
Easily handle a stock GTR. And like you said. At the track he who spends the most wins. I’ve seen both run in the 7s.

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
A whipple car beating a stock GTR is nothing to write home about.

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Easily handle a stock GTR. And like you said. At the track he who spends the most wins. I’ve seen both run in the 7s.
GTRs are in the 6s now. Sure op would be spending a lot more to mod or even purchase the car, but if he could accept that then I guess he should purchase one.
Sponsored