Sponsored

Opinion on this on a 2018. Ford performance short shifter, Barton 2 post Bracket, Steeda Bushing.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I want to keep the overall “stock” shifter. I think this is a great combo especially in regards to making the stock feel much improved. Is there anything I should be concerned about combining these 3 pieces. 2018 GT btw.

-Ford Performance Short Shifter
-Barton Two Post manual shifter bracket
-Steeda shifter base bushing
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I want to keep the overall “stock” shifter. I think this is a great combo especially in regards to making the stock feel much improved. Is there anything I should be concerned about combining these 3 pieces. 2018 GT btw.

-Ford Performance Short Shifter
-Barton Two Post manual shifter bracket
-Steeda shifter base bushing
Have you priced all that out?

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you priced all that out?
Yes comes just short of $400. I’m assuming you’re going to say just get a full Barton shifter for $430, or even the shifter short throw stick with the bracket for $230. With th steeds bushing would be $300. That probably makes the most sense.

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I feel like at that point, I'd replace the whole mechanism for sure.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’ve had the 2-post bracket on my ‘18 for about 4 months and haven’t had a nasty shift since the install. Eliminated the need to muscle the 1-2 shift at high RPM or during harder turns. Changed the car for me and delayed me spending 4x the price on an MGW.

Also, it would be incompatible with the Steeda bracket. It’s an either or scenario, as they use the same studs for mounting. I went with the Barton since it provides a solid body mount for the shifter. The Steeda unit is better than stock but similar in style.

Try the bracket of your choice first, I think it would save you money in the long run since it will fix the most annoying part of the factory shifter (lockout).

Sponsored

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Not sure what your end goal is, mine was cheap things to get rid of lockout. My car was fine shifting @6950 but if I got to 7000 no go. I had added the following parts from Steeda- 35lb clutch spring (1), heavy duty clutch line (3). From Energy Suspension- Poly Trans mount (2) and Shifter Bushing (2). From Motul-Trans Fluid (2). I numbered the parts added to show what was added as it was all done at different times. Even though every part changed something it wasn't until I added the clutch line it was completely gone but I do believe it was a mix of all the parts as well. On my initial test run I hit 7200 shifting to 2nd and 7300 shifting to 3rd. I know these cars all seem to react different when it comes to this issue but wanted to report back my experience. I couldn't afford a clutch swap as some have suggested and $400+ for shifter that may or may not work didn't make sense to me.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had the 2-post bracket on my ‘18 for about 4 months and haven’t had a nasty shift since the install. Eliminated the need to muscle the 1-2 shift at high RPM or during harder turns. Changed the car for me and delayed me spending 4x the price on an MGW.

Also, it would be incompatible with the Steeda bracket. It’s an either or scenario, as they use the same studs for mounting. I went with the Barton since it provides a solid body mount for the shifter. The Steeda unit is better than stock but similar in style.

Try the bracket of your choice first, I think it would save you money in the long run since it will fix the most annoying part of the factory shifter (lockout).
I’m not talking about the Steeda bracket. I’m talking about the shifter bushing. There should be absolutely no ssue with using that with the Barton 2 post bracket.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I’m not talking about the Steeda bracket. I’m talking about the shifter bushing. There should be absolutely no ssue with using that with the Barton 2 post bracket.
When I searched for the part your referenced in your first post, I got the following https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-shifter-base-bushing-bracket-kit-2015-all-555-7092.html which is really the bracket, even though they call it a bushing. That would be the either/or vs the Barton 2 post.

So what I think you’re looking at is more this part:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mt-82-transmission-mount-bushing-insert-2011-2015-555-4037.html I’ve read mixed reviews on that style upgrade (there is a similar part from Whiteline I believe) and opted to skip it myself. It didn’t seem worth the effort to install for the described benefits when compared to the less than stellar reviews I saw, and when compared to what the shifter bracket will accomplish on its own.

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I searched for the part your referenced in your first post, I got the following https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-shifter-base-bushing-bracket-kit-2015-all-555-7092.html which is really the bracket, even though they call it a bushing. That would be the either/or vs the Barton 2 post.

So what I think you’re looking at is more this part:
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mt-82-transmission-mount-bushing-insert-2011-2015-555-4037.html I’ve read mixed reviews on that style upgrade (there is a similar part from Whiteline I believe) and opted to skip it myself. It didn’t seem worth the effort to install for the described benefits when compared to the less than stellar reviews I saw, and when compared to what the shifter bracket will accomplish on its own.
In regards to the Steeda bracket (not the trans bushing) you just posted. I’m curious as to which is better. Barton or Steeda in regards to the bracket, I would assume the Barton is the whole replacement to the bracket and bushing where as the Steeda is just the bushing reusing the stock bracket. So I wonder how necessary the Barton is considering it’s probably the bushing that needs replacement.

Sponsored

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Go mgw / barton. cleans up everything with new made in the USA parts instead of patching up a shit oem product. I wasnt a believer in changing the shifter until i woke up one morning and pulled the trigger, happy I did. MGW + heavyweight ball is all you need.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go mgw / barton. cleans up everything with new made in the USA parts instead of patching up a shit oem product. I wasnt a believer in changing the shifter until i woke up one morning and pulled the trigger, happy I did. MGW + heavyweight ball is all you need.
Yeah my friends swear by MGW. I might have to do it.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I managed to get the Steedas shifter bushing, tranny bushing and Delrin Lockout collar for $100 total. The FPP short throw shifter, with no knob, is like $200. I've also seen people say that its nearly as good as a full replacement. I'm still waiting on my install, but for $100+ less I'm fine with it only fixing 50% + of the problem.

My last Mustang had an MGW and I loved it, but at current prices, no way I'll pay that much unless I'm doing LOTS of track time.

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Yeah my friends swear by MGW. I might have to do it.
Ill give you my 100% honest review. I did it exactly 2 months ago, and I liked it a ton and it improved every aspect but not blown away as much as people said. I also hated the pushdown reverse 3 weeks ago I added my heavywieght knob from anarchy motive and I fell in love with it. shifts so crisp and smooth, and reverse is easier. I think if ur spending over 200+ on shifting mods just get a full assembly shifter.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
In regards to the Steeda bracket (not the trans bushing) you just posted. I’m curious as to which is better. Barton or Steeda in regards to the bracket, I would assume the Barton is the whole replacement to the bracket and bushing where as the Steeda is just the bushing reusing the stock bracket. So I wonder how necessary the Barton is considering it’s probably the bushing that needs replacement.
The Steeda is also a whole replacement part, see this photo https://acdn.americanmuscle.com/i/226514_CF011BAD.jpg

The Barton I believe is more stiff than the Steeda part, but either should do a lot to minimize deflection of the shifter body. That misalignment to the transmission is what causes lockout.

Other replies are correct that a full blown replacement will give an even greater improvement in feel, and definitely solve lockout, but these are an affordable alternative in the meantime. The Barton 2 post part can be reused, per their website, with their own and other aftermarket shifter kits for what that’s worth.
Sponsored