Sponsored

OPG/CS, what gears and what did you pay (if you had someone else do it)?

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
So im going back and forth on the idea of doing the OPG/CS swap before going boost (planning for about 700whp). Ive seen broken stock ones and broken aftermarket ones so it seems damned if you do, damned if you don't, but it does seem to take more to break the aftermarket ones at least.

Just want to see what other people went with and how much you paid. Everyone around me (VA) wants 2500+ not including parts and fluids. Signature speed wants $1330, including parts but not fluids which to me seems like a great price and they are well known and reliable in the mustang community. Only problem is they are 6 hours from me so id be driving and having to stay a night or two at a hotel. Also not sure which ones are good. I see TSS is the best but they are over 600 for the set. MMR and Boundary seem common but looking in threads here found they both have QC and tolerance issues.
Sponsored

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - PP1 - Manual
2500 is absolutely insane. 1330 is still silly for a job thats really just bolts, following torque values, following each step precisely.

Just do your research and do it yourself man. Take your time, keep track of everything. Read the other threads and note the tips/tricks for some of the harder steps. Use other forum members as a resource, a lot of guys on here are willing to get on the phone or even facetime to help. Get a buddy to help you and have a fun day or two working on your car.

Also this is probably what u want to install. https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-6600-50CJ

I realize its expensive, but its only a few hundred more than aftermarket gears that may be out of spec. And you get a new housing as well. People have pulled their stock gears/housing and found that they're scored up af. good luck

OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
So that looks like it's for the gen 2. I have a '21. The job does look intimidating but not awful. Just hard not having a lift or something to get under it to pull the pan.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
It can easily be done with a jack and jackstands. I don't have a lift and did everything on my car myself, that includes pulling the transmission.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
So im going back and forth on the idea of doing the OPG/CS swap before going boost (planning for about 700whp). Ive seen broken stock ones and broken aftermarket ones so it seems damned if you do, damned if you don't, but it does seem to take more to break the aftermarket ones at least.

Just want to see what other people went with and how much you paid. Everyone around me (VA) wants 2500+ not including parts and fluids. Signature speed wants $1330, including parts but not fluids which to me seems like a great price and they are well known and reliable in the mustang community. Only problem is they are 6 hours from me so id be driving and having to stay a night or two at a hotel. Also not sure which ones are good. I see TSS is the best but they are over 600 for the set. MMR and Boundary seem common but looking in threads here found they both have QC and tolerance issues.
The Service manual calls for pulling the motor out of the car on GEN 3 Coyotes to replace the oil pump, so this is probably why you are getting quotes like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
The Service manual calls for pulling the motor out of the car on GEN 3 Coyotes to replace the oil pump, so this is probably why you are getting quotes like that.
Well if that's the case, they've probably never done it and I'd rather they not lol.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Well if that's the case, they've probably never done it and I'd rather they not lol.
Yup. No need to pull the motor, but shops using Alldata or similar for labor times are using book time, which calls for motor R&R since the oil pan has to be dropped down to get the oil pump out. 1330 bucks seems reasonable to me, it is a time consuming job for sure.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
It can easily be done with a jack and jackstands. I don't have a lift and did everything on my car myself, that includes pulling the transmission.
Yeah, I keep seeing people post this, it's definitely not what I'd consider easy, you have to pull a bunch of stuff off the engine and if you make a mistake it can cost you. Spark plugs, easy, changing brakes, easy. Even pulling the trans isn't that bad. Pulling everything off a gen 3 to do oil pump gears is very time consuming. There is a reason shops charge a good amount of dough because it's alot of work.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah, I keep seeing people post this, it's definitely not what I'd consider easy, you have to pull a bunch of stuff off the engine and if you make a mistake it can cost you. Spark plugs, easy, changing brakes, easy. Even pulling the trans isn't that bad. Pulling everything off a gen 3 to do oil pump gears is very time consuming. There is a reason shops charge a good amount of dough because it's alot of work.
I never said it isn't time consuming. It takes time, but it is not what I would consider difficult. Follow the timing procedures and it's not that bad. Can easily be done in a weekend if someone wants to save a chunk of change on labor.

Also, pulling a heavy 6R80/10R80 is more of a pain then doing the OPG's if your doing it on your back.

chohan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT, 301a, 10r80

Are you talking Signature Speed out of Lenoir, NC? I live near Hickory and was going to use then initially but ended up going with Boosted Performance in Mooresville. They did the job in one day for $587.13 back in April of last year.
Basically half of what SS quoted me.
They deal mainly in Mustang/Coyote and have done many of the opg/cs. Super clean shop and Donny is easy to talk to.

I supplied the FP OPGs and a Boundary CS. They even showed me where my oil pan was giving a bit of light mist leakage around the front end when I brought it in, but they added a bit of sealant and snugged it up. She's been dry as a bone under there for the past year. Planning my ESS centri install for mid-May.

edit: I do remember taking them 10qts oil and filter that I had already purchased so that was not included in the price.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking Signature Speed out of Lenoir, NC? I live near Hickory and was going to use then initially but ended up going with Boosted Performance in Mooresville. They did the job in one day for $587.13 back in April of last year.
Basically half of what SS quoted me.
They deal mainly in Mustang/Coyote and have done many of the opg/cs. Super clean shop and Donny is easy to talk to.

I supplied the FP OPGs and a Boundary CS. They even showed me where my oil pan was giving a bit of light mist leakage around the front end when I brought it in, but they added a bit of sealant and snugged it up. She's been dry as a bone under there for the past year. Planning my ESS centri install for mid-May.

edit: I do remember taking them 10qts oil and filter that I had already purchased so that was not included in the price.
I'll check them out. Thanks.

They charge 900 now for the labor. So after parts they are about the same as signature. Wish I could find a place up here willing to do it for that.

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Yup. No need to pull the motor, but shops using Alldata or similar for labor times are using book time, which calls for motor R&R since the oil pan has to be dropped down to get the oil pump out. 1330 bucks seems reasonable to me, it is a time consuming job for sure.
After having done my own Gen 3, and from a shop owners perspective.... Doing the job without completely dropping the oil pan (motor out or K-member dropped) presents a certain level of risk of leaks from the pan gasket. If I quote low assuming I'm not going to remove the pan to replace the gasket and properly seal, who is responsible if the pan leaks? I can tell you who the customer thinks is responsible. With the case of the OP having a 21, the risk is obviously significantly less than an older car, but there is still some level of risk.

OP - Where are you located in VA?

OP
OP
vaeevictiss

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you're going to do OPG or CS, definitely stay with the Ford Performance parts. There's too many threads on here where other aftermarket parts have either failed OR they're not marked/etched correctly for timing/alignment marks.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'm assuming that you have a composite oil pan, since it's a 2021 model. I did mine in a 2019. You just have to lower the oil pan enough for the oil pickup tube to clear the inlet for the oil pump. Not too hard of a job, you just need some long 1/4" extensions with a true swivel socket. A socket with universal won't work, because of the tight spaces.

Oil Pan.jpg
Sponsored